• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Wow I didn't even realize how much that anime is Japan, but then again if the market will buy it at the determine price why not. Simple Supply and Demand I guess, what about DVDs (Simpson Family Guy or other American DVD) from the US? Is that same deal 40-60 US dollars for 2 episodes? I guess I never realize how much R2 DVD cost.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
A few quick questions:

1. What do people think Zac should do for summer?

2. What's so controversial about Turn A Gundam? Laura Rola?

3. Why do I keep reading Meganekko-hime in the third entry? Shocked
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow I didn't even realize how much that anime is Japan, but then again if the market will buy it at the determine price why not. Simple Supply and Demand I guess, what about DVDs (Simpson Family Guy or other American DVD) from the US? Is that same deal 40-60 US dollars for 2 episodes? I guess I never realize how much R2 DVD cost.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

The market will buy it, but largely because they have no other choice. DVDs and CDs can be *very* expensive in Japan. That's why a lot of anime OSTs and Jpop CDs take forever to make it over to the US, and even then sometimes have different content. Yuki Kajiura's CD Fiction, for example, the Japanese release has three more tracks than the version that was released here. It helps discourage Japanese consumers from importing the cheaper US release...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:

99% of it is the Gundam's design, which moved the trademark Gundam "V-fin" down from the forehead to the chin and gave it a more curved appearance, giving the suggestion of a Mario-esque moustache. Personally, I think it looks fine, as the entire suit has a more organic and "futuristic" feel to it than previous Gundams.

And yes, that really is the primary reason why people hate the show.

Other reasons do exist, though. Mainly the fact that instead of being a "burning shounen war story" like most previous (and following) Gundam series were, Turn-A was much mroe heavily centered around characters and character development. And then there's the "Turn-A Bang" theory about how (from Turn-A's perspective, at least), spoiler[all previously detached Gundam timelines are tied together as one, giant "Dark History" story thread that finally culminates with Turn-A.]

But...mostly it's the moustache, as ridiculous and petty and shallow as that sounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
Heheh, I find that incredibly funny. There are worthier things in the show I could see them direct their ire at than a moustache (hige). Not that the sillier elements in Turn A makes for a bad show since the main characters are so engaging (to the point that the emotional impact of the ending really surprised me).

But guess who I'm reminded of when I think of a Gundam with a Mario-like moustache? Harima Kenji from School Rumble!

Turn A Hario! Yes, that shall be Zac's summer project, pitching an OEL manga to Tokyopop with these elements (thinly disguised to avoid accusations of being a ripoff).

So that leaves only question 3 unanswered.
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Gauss wrote:

99% of it is the Gundam's design, which moved the trademark Gundam "V-fin" down from the forehead to the chin and gave it a more curved appearance, giving the suggestion of a Mario-esque moustache. Personally, I think it looks fine, as the entire suit has a more organic and "futuristic" feel to it than previous Gundams.

I think they even reffered to it as the "Moustached Gundam" in the series. But, while the Gundam looked rather ridiculous, the story and plot didn't really feel like a gundam. And not a good departure from the normal gundam like SEED. It just wasn't a good Gundam series for a lot of Gundam fans... Kinda like the SD Gundams... Ick!

And last time I was in Japan, the Air movie was going for almost 50 bucks brand new after its release to DVD. I wanted to see it, but, I wasn't going to spend that much on a movie that I would barely understand. They were also re-releasing the Card Captor Sakura series to DVD when I was there for an astronomical price as well. (I guess that dates just how long it's been since I was last there...)[/i]
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And finally for this week, Sara Smith really poured her heart and soul into this one:

Hi! I have this great new idea for an anime series. I want the manga to be drawn by Naoko Takeuchi or Arina Tanemura. Please send this to both of them so they can draw the first chapter and I'll decide which one I like better. Also, I want Megumi Hayashibara to sin
the opening.
. . .
I attatched some production sketches to show that I am actually serious. But they're not colored because I'm not good at that yet.

I'm wondering if this girl mistook the Creation Station contest for an actual talent-search contest, or if she included those blurbs about being serious to make her entry seem all the more cliche. If the latter is the case, that's actually pretty clever.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Quote:
And finally for this week, Sara Smith really poured her heart and soul into this one:

Hi! I have this great new idea for an anime series. I want the manga to be drawn by Naoko Takeuchi or Arina Tanemura. Please send this to both of them so they can draw the first chapter and I'll decide which one I like better. Also, I want Megumi Hayashibara to sin
the opening.
. . .
I attatched some production sketches to show that I am actually serious. But they're not colored because I'm not good at that yet.

I'm wondering if this girl mistook the Creation Station contest for an actual talent-search contest, or if she included those blurbs about being serious to make her entry seem all the more cliche. If the latter is the case, that's actually pretty clever.

My guess is that she is getting her hopes up and wishing for something that is unlikely to happen. I think she was serious with her wishes in that entry. That's the impression I felt when I read her words.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
Just as a counterpoint to the remarks about anime sales vs. mainstream sales, the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire dvd sold five million copies in the first 24 hours of its release, according to Warner Home Video.

Even with all the re-releases of Evangelion, I doubt ADV has sold anything close to five million copies of Eva, total, in ten years.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
My comment doesn't have to do with the article...

but OCTOBER for Galactica? Oh my God. I don't know if I can wait that long. But big ups to Zac for being a fan. (flaunts Jamie Bamber autograph)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
Anthony P wrote:
Quote:

the opening.
. . .

My guess is that she is getting her hopes up and wishing for something that is unlikely to happen. I think she was serious with her wishes in that entry. That's the impression I felt when I read her words.

Nah, I disagree with that. I didn't get that impression at all when I read her entry. I think she was being sarcastic and tying the fact that people writing into Zac claiming to have an "original" and "great" idea for a new manga/anime, started the idea for the contest in the first place. I loved her sketches by the way, they're really good.
Sailor Maddie Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Jerseymilk wrote:
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
Anthony P wrote:
Quote:

the opening.
. . .

Nah, I disagree with that. I didn't get that impression at all when I read her entry. I think she was being sarcastic and tying the fact that people writing into Zac claiming to have an "original" and "great" idea for a new manga/anime, started the idea for the contest in the first place. I loved her sketches by the way, they're really good.

took the words exactly out of my mouth Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with your comment about American series vs. anime series being "apples and oranges". Yes, FINANCIALLY there is a huge difference between what it costs the distributors, my question on that is more from a "customer" standpoint. I mean, if a company can't get the rights for a series for a profitable margin, they shouldn't BUY THE RIGHTS, period. (I mean seriously, dig through the "Shelf Life" reviews and ponder WHY some of these series ARE seeing a US release)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad anime is available and I buy the series I like, but then, 10 years ago I'd buy import LDs and such for fansubs I liked. My point is that the "hardcore" people are going to buy the show, but I question the viability of a model that requires the average consumer to BUY a tv show. I think for the distributors, the cost of selling their own "Family Guy" DVD or a licensed "Naruto" DVD is very different, but for a consumer it's "full season of a TV show I saw on TV for $50" or "couple of episodes of TV show I saw on TV for $30". As always, the people who watch it on TV and really like it will buy the DVDs, and the rest won't bother. This is why I disagree with the concept that the companies are losing HUGE amounts of money off fansubs (I think they ARE losing money, but not at the level they assume) because SOME people will watch fansubs BECAUSE they are "free" and if you take away the fansubs they'll just shrug their shoulders and move on to something else. Some will whine and complain about losing the fansubs, but otherwise do nothing. And a SMALL (IMO) percentage will buy who might not have been before. (I say small because a decent number of the "fans" WILL buy the show if they like it) But when you're competing with movies, and cable TV and even video games ($30 for vol. 1 of "Love Hina" or $30 for Warcraft III...) then I question how many people are gonna line up and plunk down cash to watch some series sight unseen. (even if it has good word of mouth)

In my OPINION, if the economics of the release aren't viable for releasing the series at a price comparable to similar items, then it's not viable to get the license (supply & demand). Again, I'm glad companies DO license these shows, and I'm glad to have an R1 release. But I think simply calling them two different animals and thinking they can't compare is a myopic viewpoint, and is not adequately considering the market.

(Fandom was a TOTALLY different beast then, but to start out ADV was able to acquire the rights and market "Devil Hunter Yohko" profittably, there is NO way that was because it was a large volume seller. Rights costs have risen because other "players" have entered the game and fight over titles. But if companies are taking a bath on titles because the rights fees are too high, maybe they need to dial it back and let prices "normalize". Also, the "cost of rights" argument isn't ENTIRELY valid (altho not entirely INVALID either) when you consider some companies (like Bandai) simply have a US branch)
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
3. Why do I keep reading Meganekko-hime in the third entry? Shocked

The heroine of the story is really a glasses-wearing catgirl. (Yes, I'd tweak with the character design a little)
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and DON'T show it on TV so the little kids would be seeing it.

ROFL

Last edited by Kamon on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3