• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Sneakybeagle wrote:
I have to disagree with the review. as well as far as dub goes I'll agree it threw me off after having watched it subbed as it aired however I found the support roles sounded well com paired to yuno and yuki. however I loved this series from start to finish its clearly not a series the reviewer enjoyed but it seemed to harsh. I recommend anyone watch it subbed if violence and dispicable acts went your thing that's understandable.

'I loved' and 'Did not enjoy' shouldn't be conflated with 'good' or 'bad'.
Questionerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

A 'Masterpiece'? You're honestly prepared to place this show amongst the likes of 'Cowboy Bebop' or 'Paranoia Agent'? Surely you must realize that conflating this exploitative piece of garbage with high art is ridiculous. The characters aren't relatable; the plot is ludicrous; and the story is lacking in any sort of theme(s) that ring true to life. And let's not even go into the production errors...

I do not think there is anything that you could objectively deem a 'Masterpiece'. It seems as though you consider 'Cowboy Bebop' and 'Paranoia Agent' masterpieces, but that is you, not everyone.

Not that I like this person over here and his self-proclaimed "I know what I am talking about". He sees it as a masterpiece by his own definition of the term. That's fine. For him it "was engaging" and "full of emotion". But then again he is trying to force his own views of it being a masterpiece onto others. Similar to what you have done, perhaps?

For me, I enjoyed this series and have watched it twice. Once as it was airing and once marathoned. It's not like I had any real problem with it. I will never understand why people hate on a series.

I particularly enjoyed reading this review as well, although I would not agree with everything about it. Especially liked all those metaphors and analogies. Also the pointing out of that "30 animation houses" thing was quite interesting. Series like these can conjure up good reads like these...

I also did not think the series was funny and the Murmur sequences at the end were not funny to me either. I did not think it was too gory, though. I do agree that is was lacking in the emotion that it could've had. I wasn't really shocked by anything much, but maybe that's just because I'm just indifferent to these things.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Without disagreeing with the rest of the post, but "purity" is irreversible, unless you know something we don't, though some people do treat it worse than murder.

The problem is believing that "purity" is even a thing to begin with. I haven't seen the series to know if it enforces the idea that spoiler[rape = loss of virginity = loss of purity], but if it does, Ms. Chapman is 100% right to be infuriated by it.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this review! I enjoyed it immensely; especially the metaphor in the last paragraph.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I haven't seen the series to know if it enforces the idea that spoiler[rape = loss of virginity = loss of purity].
It does.
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Questionerer wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

A 'Masterpiece'? You're honestly prepared to place this show amongst the likes of 'Cowboy Bebop' or 'Paranoia Agent'? Surely you must realize that conflating this exploitative piece of garbage with high art is ridiculous. The characters aren't relatable; the plot is ludicrous; and the story is lacking in any sort of theme(s) that ring true to life. And let's not even go into the production errors...

I do not think there is anything that you could objectively deem a 'Masterpiece'. It seems as though you consider 'Cowboy Bebop' and 'Paranoia Agent' masterpieces, but that is you, not everyone.

Not that I like this person over here and his self-proclaimed "I know what I am talking about". He sees it as a masterpiece by his own definition of the term. That's fine. For him it "was engaging" and "full of emotion". But then again he is trying to force his own views of it being a masterpiece onto others. Similar to what you have done, perhaps?

For me, I enjoyed this series and have watched it twice. Once as it was airing and once marathoned. It's not like I had any real problem with it. I will never understand why people hate on a series.

I particularly enjoyed reading this review as well, although I would not agree with everything about it. Especially liked all those metaphors and analogies. Also the pointing out of that "30 animation houses" thing was quite interesting. Series like these can conjure up good reads like these...

I also did not think the series was funny and the Murmur sequences at the end were not funny to me either. I did not think it was too gory, though. I do agree that is was lacking in the emotion that it could've had. I wasn't really shocked by anything much, but maybe that's just because I'm just indifferent to these things.

First off, wow, that may have been the most negatively reviewed anime I have seen on this site, and I've been a member for quite some time.

Second, thank you to the above commenter for summing up my thoughts on the series, more or less. Own the DVD set, watched it, and I had a blast seeing it all the way to the end and saw the epilogue OVA afterward. To me, it's not one of the best anime out there, but compared to a bunch of others I've seen, it's better than most, and that's good enough for me.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The problem is believing that "purity" is even a thing to begin with.

It is, so.. yeah. There we go.

Surrender Artist wrote:
If this post is representative of the quality of your, "reasoning," then you'd've deserved worse than you predict, although without the need to impute attitudes onto others to preserve my own ego, I can't agree that it would actually happen.

Seriously, get over yourself and spare us your presence if you can't.

Kinda ironic he didn't want to say because he'd get attack and... you just attacked him away and proved his point >_>
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:
First off, wow, that may have been the most negatively reviewed anime I have seen on this site, and I've been a member for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure Carl's review of Death Note has that distinction

Crispy45 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Humor me, if you will: how is it a thing?
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I think what bothered me the most about Future Diary is the wasted potential. I mean, around episode 3, I was pumped, but by episode or 18 or so, I quit. It started out looking like a wild ride. But...as the show started to drag on, rape-y scenes aside, I was really disappointed as the show blew past situations that were just dripping-on-the-floor saturated with potential for really getting into the mental conflict Yukiteru is faced with over and over. He's just a dumb box of rocks; he never thinks, he maybe whines, and he always goes "but, she IS kinda hot..." and blindly wanders on.

I mean, the premise is a little fascinating. He's trapped. He needs Yuno to survive, but she's a depraved maniac. He can't measure up to her fantasies, she's not a very lovable person (at least, as portrayed), and she'd kill him for if she found out. There's so much mind-game potential there, and the show acknowledges it exists and walks right on by. It's almost worse than if they'd just ignored it, then I wouldn't have bothered watching.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:

Crispy45 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Some societies put too much emphasis on it, being first.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:

Depends on your culture/beliefs/religion. Saving yourself for marriage and stuff. There's a lot of focus on virginity or letting someone be your first =P Or the opposite in a guy's case, losing their virginity so they won't be mocked
GDI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

It's a masterpiece in terms of fun. It's a trainwreck meant to be hated by reviewers, but loved by the fans. Look at its Bayesian estimate. Not too shabby if you consider this review. It's one of the main series I recommend to anyone interested in anime, and those to whom I recommended it always finished it before the end of the week (unlike Clannad or Steins;Gate among others, which most end up dropping midway through)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series overall for the ridiculous places it went and the contrivances it made up, but I felt it just really fell apart in the end for what little was tying the structure of the story and characters together.

I think ANN reviewers underestimate anime fan's penchant for violence and other horrible stuff, the TV series has 171k+ on MAL and a pretty solid score. I think anime fans know exactly what some shows are but enjoy them anyway. Like "pointlessly vile and misanthropic," will likely never throw people off; more fans would have seen and enjoyed Devilman and Violence Jack if they weren't so decrepit and ancient by most fan reckonings.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Future diary was so drunk on spectacle and absurdity that I found it impossible to take seriously, even to be offended or repulsed by it.

Questionerer wrote:

This is always the flimsy argument of people who have internalized their fandom and have no actual defense against critique for the things they like. True objectivity may not exist, but there's a reason the Mona Lisa is a priceless national treasure while the drawing of a T-rex with a jetpack I drew when I was 10 sits on my grandma's wall collecting dust.

Crispy45 wrote:
Depends on your culture/beliefs/religion. Saving yourself for marriage and stuff.

How dare them womenfolk sully themselves before their wedding night! Harlots and sinners, the lot of them!

Just because it's cultural/religious tradition doesn't mean it isn't an archaic and sexist belief system.

Last edited by Redcrimson on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I personally don't agree with this review. The 2 weeks I spent watching it were a blast. The visuals are great, I liked the plot twists, amd the various antagonists keep things fresh. And of course, the gore was very entertaining. I'm not going to insinuate it was a masterful piece of art, but it was enjoyable and fun, which is more than a lot of shows that claim to be "masterpieces" are.

On the other hand, one of my personal favorite shows is Gantz, so maybe I just like violent shows. Ah well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11