• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Brazilian Brothers Capture World Cosplay Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandra monte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
Hi...
In Brazil, if one man will be in a group, always says the brothers.. In the Portuguese language has variation in the writing of "the" for man and woman, in English not. Therefore, the brothers Monica (she) and Maurício (he)...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sandra Monte
htp://papodebudega.blogspot.com
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Brazil, but it is rather interesting, the results.

2nd place was the Japanese Web Team, which did Rose of Versailles.

In 2005 the US team was disqualified at Anime Expo because the contest organizers claimed the creator of Rose of Versailles did not approve of cosplays of her characters.

The contest is more or less, a farce.
cosplay_fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Congrats to Brazil, but it is rather interesting, the results.
2nd place was the Japanese Web Team, which did Rose of Versailles.
In 2005 the US team was disqualified at Anime Expo because the contest organizers claimed the creator of Rose of Versailles did not approve of cosplays of her characters.

No one was disqualified last year, where did you get that info? I don't see how you can go calling it a farce.

shirokiryuu wrote:
Can someone post the picture here? When i went to the site, the image was broken.

wow. Angel Sanctuary. Haha that's some detailed cosplay there.

This page is not in English but here are some pics:
http://www.animeland.com/index.php?rub=articles&id=745
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:

some of the people in charge of the event apparently hate us "cowboys". its racism, plain and simple
cosplay_fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like speculation, I think they realize the significance of cosplay in the US, its one of the most developed cultures in the world. If they didn't have American cosplayers this year they should have them next year. It doesn't sound like a dislike thing.
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
cosplay_fan wrote:
That sounds like speculation, I think they realize the significance of cosplay in the US, its one of the most developed cultures in the world. If they didn't have American cosplayers this year they should have them next year. It doesn't sound like a dislike thing.

From what I gather from what I've read, it's dislike -- and a dis-invitation. As I said in the other thread, I don't see Americans being involved with this crap for the forseeable future.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
cosplay_fan wrote:
No one was disqualified last year, where did you get that info? I don't see how you can go calling it a farce.

This is from the 2005 article that was posted here on ANN...

Quote:
The North American finals, held at Anime Expo 2005, were the scene of the first controversy where the only North American team to enter the group category was skipped over in favour of a team fabricated from 3 individual contestants. The "unofficial-official" explanation was that the group was cosplaying as characters from Rose of Versailles - Rose of Versailles creator Riyoko Ikeda has expressed her disapproval of people cosplaying as her characters on more than one occasion.

However the group in question had submitted several costumes that were not based on Rose of Versailles and could have competed in those costumes or taken them to Japan if required. The consensus among fans is that TV Aichi chose not to allow the Rose of Versailles cosplayers to win because they were more interested in a cosplay-themed beauty contest and that the chosen winners were deemed more attractive than the Rose of Versailles group.

So yes, the original US group was DQ'ed, and another group was hand-picked by TV Aichi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2