• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron: Battle Angel Still Planned After Avatar 2/3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
I've lost all interest. After all the hype for Avatar followed by massive disappointment, I couldn't give a damn what Cameron does unless it's another Terminator.

It's gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOONG time until Avatar 2/3 are made and released and it's not worth the wait for Battle Angel.

Avatar was basically Lawrence of Arabia with Sam Worthington as Lawrence, Arabs replaced by big blue smurfs, and being set in a jungle instead of Arabia.

Or for the sake of using something more modern for the sake of the uncultured feeble minds, it's a ripoff of The Last Samurai, Sam Worthington as Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise), Samurai's replaced by big blue smurfs, and being set in a jungle instead of late 19th century Japan.

And they're about some guy who likes his supposed enemies so much that he joins them and fights with them. Totally unoriginal and not worth its hype.

So unless the guy who created Terminator, The Abyss, and co-write Rambo II, one of the greatest action movies of all time is back, I don't care about his next projects nor will have faith in Battle Angel.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly not sure that Battle Angel is that big a deal anymore.

To all flamers, I used the qualifier "anymore"
omelas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
If he makes a good movie about Battle Angel, I dont care when it comes out. I am going to go see it. I loved the original manga and anime and I am enjoying the new manga.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Whether I like it or not (I haven't liked most of what I've seen by him) it would be great if he made it. Because a lot people will watch it just because Cameron's name will be attachted to it. Then a small fraction might decide to get more into anime and everything related to it.

But who knows what things will be like by the time it does come out, there will probably be way less new dubs because of streaming sites like crunchyroll and crunchyroll will probably have a lot more titles by then too...
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
I keep hoping Cameron would find a director of his liking, some protegee of his, and simply produce the movie with someone else directing using all the prelim work they've already done for Alita. Hell, the delay of Alita is maybe the major reason I kinda hate Avatar. It's a just okay movie with amazing effects and Alita would be so much better.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch Avatar, but I want this Battle Angel movie to be made. It was my first manga series, and is still one of my favorites to this day, although I don't care much for Last Order. But the original is awesome.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Did it ever occur to any one of you that usually such deals between directors and studios in order to fund passion projects like Battle Angel also require some deals with the studio?

For all we know Cameron wants a lot of money to make Battle Angel and the studios are feeling unsure, so making an Avatar 2 & 3 deal may go some lengths to getting them to hand Cameron money to do Battle Angel justice.

Also he's continuing to improve upon the tech in Avatar that will then be used in Battle Angel, particularly since he plans to use an older veteran actress's performance on a CG photorealistic 14 year old girl actress who's half human half machine. THis could be amazing and I don't mind waiting. Avatar 2 & 3 are being shot together it seems so likely he'll get both those out by 2014.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
jdnation: If no one wants to cut a deal with Jimmy, he can fund and distribute the thing himself and keep all the profit. So he's just stalling 'cus he knows he knows he can't do it justice.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jdnation: If no one wants to cut a deal with Jimmy, he can fund and distribute the thing himself and keep all the profit. So he's just stalling 'cus he knows he knows he can't do it justice.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. The guy is already working on another project (Avatar trilogy), so he can't work on Alita at this point anyway. Where is the stalling part exactly? If he completes the avatar trilogy and stalls, then your argument will have some merit.

Quote:
If he makes a good movie about Battle Angel, I don't care when it comes out. I am going to go see it. I loved the original manga and anime and I am enjoying the new manga.

This.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Don't think Cameron needs the Studios to fund his films. He is in the George Lucas class where his profits fund his feature films. (Believe Cameron funded Avatar himself, but I could be wrong).

Avatar is his personal pet project, so naturally, other people's works will take a back seat to it, including ones he is fond of.

Personally, I hope the Avatar sequels are blockbusters, because that means Cameron will be flush with cash when he is tired of Avatar and is ready for Battle Angel Alita.

No one else is really interested in doing Battle Angel Alita, so I am content on waiting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2