• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate OVA II Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Never mind... Anime dazed
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
My bad again! Anime smile + sweatdrop

So that means that R1 DVD1 will be approx. 100 min.

Thanks Geneon! Very Happy

Well, that's assuming the second episode is also 50 minutes. The first episode was originally supposed to be 35 minutes, but they extended it because they couldn't fit everything in that amount of time. I haven't heard anything about the second episode's length, though.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Second episode is listed on cdjapan as being 40 minutes long.
SccarletEmerald

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

I hope it comes to the U.S soon after episode 1 is released.

Umm Tony....did ya not see the bottom of the new article..
Quote:
Hellsing Ultimate OVA II Trailer (2006-08-22 15:59:51)
A trailer for the second volume of Geneon's Hellsing Ultimate OVA is available here. This second episode of the series will be included with the first on Geneon's R1 DVD release in December.

Could someone tell me what is ANN's source for this info about the US release containing 2 episodes? Everywhere I've seen the running time listed for the US DVD it's been 50 min, which is only enough for the first episode.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/rY1Nc1Tm3aHI4UBgul/browse/item/71162/4/0/0
http://www.animenation.com/12825.html
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It has to be 2 episodes per DVD. They'll have some nerve charging so much for 50 minutes, and that's only because the 1st episode was pretty much a double episode. I'm sure some will still buy the dvds, but not many casual fans will waste that much money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rkenshin21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
energydan wrote:
It has to be 2 episodes per DVD. They'll have some nerve charging so much for 50 minutes, and that's only because the 1st episode was pretty much a double episode. I'm sure some will still buy the dvds, but not many casual fans will waste that much money.

i know a few casual fans that will buy it. I mean Hellsing is very popular btwn huge and casual fans. I think this dvd will do very well.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
energydan wrote:

Back years ago, when I was much more naive than I am now (I'm still naive, I'm just not so much now), I saw clips for the ADV-produced POS 'SIN'. Anyway it had blood and explosions and something and I was very taken away so I went and bought it for whatever price it was being charged at (like, $30 AUD, I didn't shop nearly a tenth as much as I do now). Only after buying it and stuff did I realise "oh, shit, this is only 50-60 minutes!". It's probably going to be very much the same for the casual fan. They're going to see "NEW HELLSING OMG!", buy it, and then realise what has happened. It sucks, but that's sort of how it works.

As for why they're charging so much, well, it's an OVA. A very new one, and expensive, kind of like how FLCL was $30 for two half hour episodes. There's no TV broadcast so video sales is how it makes it's money back. By buying this, you're essentially fueling production of future episodes (as Geneon USA are a producer, theres a better change that more profits would go back into future episodes, rather than a different show).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why so many fans on the internet don't get this. Hell, I even have a friend who I argued with over this.

If they spend a bunch of money making a direct to video movie, more than a regualar series and as much if not more than a movie, get ready to pay a larger amount. Yeah, this is basically their only source of income on it. No commercials during broadcast and no ticket sales, only sales of the DVD itself.

If the base cost for making the anime is more, the DVDs will be pretty expensive. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is another series that comes to mind.

Now you can debate about middlemen skimming off the top and driving the price up, which I hear is worse in Japan than it is here, but you should expect an OAV that was expensive to make to be relatively more expensive than a TV series of uncertain anime fandom.

As I argued to my friend with little avail, just because you can fit more eps on a DVD time and space wise, that doesn't mean they can. Nor does it mean that a shorter run time means a cheaper price. Quality, people, not just quantity.

I gotta say, I am very much impressed by not only the story, but the animation. It looks beautiful, much better than the TV series. This being an OAV, that's to be expected.

Of course, as a die hard Hellsing fan who stood in line for hours to no avail to meet Hirano, I can't wait to see the whole thing animated. I heard him and one of the makers of the anime talk at Otakon, through a translator of course. It sounded like they plan to animated the whole 10 or so volumes eventually. Right now it's about one anime episode per volume, but who knows how that will translate with later volumes. Plus there are the Crossfire and The Dawn side stories. I know part of The Dawn was in the first trailer.

It's interesting that the pace of these OVA eps is much faster. Unlike a TV series, they don't have to drag the story out with long shots and typical anime 'decompression'. Here, you just want to get the story done. So the OVA, which I saw at Otakon in English (and perhaps I saw elsewhere *cough*), moves along at a brisk pace. I wonder how many anime fans will take this as most TV shows are slower and decompressed. I personally loved the faster pace. I think it fit the manga better, which itself has a pretty good pace. Hell, it almost has the pace of old school American comics where they gave you a decent bang for your buck per issue/chapter.

So I can't wait for the DVD to be out. I may be low on spending money by then, but this is one thing I'll be sure to set money aside for. I can't wait.

Oh yeah, I also can't wait for Dark Horse to get the lead out on Vol 8. Though I maaaaay have seen some form of it online, I still want that sucker published and in my hand as soon as possible.
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Many internet fans will get the concept that it would cost more, but will the casual anime fans? I would hope they'd load the dvds with extra features and what not. Otherwise, is the series going to sell that well. I mean, among average fans. Will they drop down $25 dollars an episode when they can get it from the online store at 100% off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
energydan wrote:
Many internet fans will get the concept that it would cost more, but will the casual anime fans? I would hope they'd load the dvds with extra features and what not. Otherwise, is the series going to sell that well. I mean, among average fans. Will they drop down $25 dollars an episode when they can get it from the online store at 100% off?

You're worrying about things that every company worries and compensates for. OVA series have been done before, especially to this capacity, and have done well, especially with this kind of momentum behind them.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
energydan, alot of casual fans don't care about extras. They just want the episodes.

Hellsing Ultimate will only be in the B&M stores like Suncoast and Best Buy if it is perceived as mainstream. If it is not perceived as mainstream, then it will be sold only online or very close to MSRP in the store (for example, like Barefoot Gen).

Hellsing fans who are internet shopping savvy have already pre-ordered it during the last Geneon sale. So, they actually are about to pay $26.32 +shipping and handling for special edition which normally runs $44.98 MSRP. Regular edition received a similar discount. Those fans have been salivating for this title since the first trailer and were willing to pay that much for the single episode.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Hellsing fans who are internet shopping savvy have already pre-ordered it during the last Geneon sale. So, they actually are about to pay $26.32 +shipping and handling for special edition which normally runs $44.98 MSRP. Regular edition received a similar discount. Those fans have been salivating for this title since the first trailer and were willing to pay that much for the single episode.

Exactly most anime fans have preorder this first dvd, casual fans might see it suncoast or bestbuy and ask for it at XMAS thinking that it's a new hellsing. And once they see that it's basically the first disc or so from the old series their gonna be pissed. I want to pick up the special edition however details have been lacking, so I am just waiting to see what kind of special edition I am getting.....I am still a little piss off from when I preorder the FMA:Movie only to find out that Funi F'ed me over with extra special editions at Best buy and at Walden...

The Xenos wrote:
Now you can debate about middlemen skimming off the top and driving the price up, which I hear is worse in Japan than it is here, but you should expect an OAV that was expensive to make to be relatively more expensive than a TV series of uncertain anime fandom.

See I am extra happy with two episodes on this first dvd I was completely expecting only one and I was find with that. I thought that because Geneon is investing lots of money into this series their probably going to place only one episode per dvd. But Geneon is cool and doing something cool by making it two episodes. As for the middlemen, the cost of anime in Japan is crazy.....they generally get less episodes per dvd and have to pay like twice as much as R1 people do.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote
I was totally expecting to spend lots of money on this series too with the "every episode takes 6 months to make and broadcast" scenario. Ecstatic to know that I now have 2 episodes to look forward too.

Deltakiral, totally off topic but what are the B&M FMA movie LEs getting that the online stores aren't?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
...but what are the B&M FMA movie LEs getting that the online stores aren't?

According to ANN's report on Funimation's 2006 Otakon panel, Best Buy's DVD version will feature a documentary, while Waldenbooks' version will come with a lenticular cover.
SccarletEmerald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I was totally expecting to spend lots of money on this series too with the "every episode takes 6 months to make and broadcast" scenario. Ecstatic to know that I now have 2 episodes to look forward too.

You really shouldn't assume there are going to be 2 episodes. Even ANN's own encyclopedia entry says the release is only going to be 50 min, which is only enough time for the first episode.
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?id=7336
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7