• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Critic Calls Out The Wind Rises For Perpetuating Historical Revisionism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Just to make it clear--the Wind Rises is based on a fictional accounting of a real person. It's a confusing thing but a lot of the movie is obviously fabricated if you've seen it. A lot of the movie also do not pertain to any sort of historical factoids. Sure, some of it is based on historical events, but seriously?

Zac wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Doesn't matter. You always root for your team.

You keep saying this but in this case it's like saying "I'm rooting for the Denver Broncos to win the World Series".

If the Texas Rangers can select Russell Wilson in the Rule 5 draft...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those issues I feel uncomfortable really commenting on without educating myself further on the history behind it, but if it is true that Miyazaki is feeding into the current of historical revisionism in Japan then that's pretty disheartening.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Doubt such a controversial film will win an Oscar. Looks like it will slightly increase Madoka Magica Rebellion's chances by process of elimination.

There's absolutely no way in hell Madoka is going to come within a thousand miles of being nominated for an Oscar, come on.
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This isn't that new, as some have noted. I've been reading a variety of critiques - some positive, some not - since before the film was released. Given Miyazaki's publicly declared antagonism towards the sort of historical revisionism evident in many quarters of Japanese society, one could say either - he could have done better, or - he has enough credit in the moral bank to have earned the right to a degree of dramatic licence (aka ambiguity?).

But I haven't seen the film yet, so I'll have to reserve final judgement until then.

(Good Lord, this fence I'm sitting on is uncomfortable this evening! Rolling Eyes )
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Zac wrote:
Really can't recommend these two essays on the film enough, which debate the point in question:

Devin Faraci on the film's moral crisis

Film Crit Hulk on cinematic moralism

Said it before but I think both of those essays should be printed together in a booklet that comes with the film.

Pretty damn interesting. I wonder what you take on the whole thing is, Zac?

Second, I think it would make a lovely ANNCast subject.

Mark Gosdin
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Doubt such a controversial film will win an Oscar. Looks like it will slightly increase Madoka Magica Rebellion's chances by process of elimination.

As much as I love Madoka, as soon as I saw the movie I knew it had NO chance of getting nominated, much less winning. First of all because the movie makes absolutely no attempt to make it make sense as a stand-alone film apart from the series (so it'd be nigh incomprehensible to any Academy members that decide to see the movie out of curiosity).

Secondly because they still think of animation as being for children, and particularly with the recent gun violence in our country I can't see them nominating what they see as a "children's" film which depicts spoiler[a young teenager shooting herself in the head, even if it doesn't actually kill her.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with this review. The Wind Rises does portray Japan as a victim which is definitely not true, but if you ignore the politics and enjoy the story about the man and machine then it is a good film.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
One thing that always bothered me watching the trailers for The Wind Rises (I haven't seen it yet) especially after I read some of Jiro Horikoshi's english bios online

Is Naoko based on a real person? Like, did the real Jiro Horikoshi have an important lady in his life or was she and their romance invented for the movie?

Again, I haven't seen it and I'm sure it's obvious if I just read a little more history.

But since we're talking about Historical Revisionism, it seems like an important start if it paints Horikoshi in a more sympathetic light (and from what I hear, their romance takes up a good chunk of the film)

Much of the film is over dramatized. Basically this film is a fictional story about a real person. As to whether or not Naoko really existed, I don't have a clue.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Looks like it will slightly increase Madoka Magica Rebellion's chances by process of elimination.

Technically, yes. Realistically? No chance in hell.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this film, either, and I doubt I ever will. If that fatally weakens what I'm about to say, then feel free to skip it.

*If* Horikoshi was explicitly designing military war planes and had no illusions that he was doing so and what they would be used for, then I disagree with the Hulk's comments (one of the essays linked earlier in this thread) that Horikoshi was involved in a "noble" endeavor.

IMO, trying to create the perfect plane as if it were a work of art is one thing, but trying to create the perfect *war*plane is something else. One could argue that Horikoshi made warplanes because that's the only way he could follow his overall passion, but all that means to me is that he put his passion ahead of the uses to which the warplanes he designed would be put. True, an intellectual understanding is not the same as experiencing it (as Oppenheimer found out), but I still can't say that I admire Horikoshi's morals in this matter, or his passion as an artist.

What I see, based on what I've read about the movie, is a man who was near absolutely focused on doing one thing well, and he didn't care how it would be used or who it would hurt. In fact, I expect those around him were only too happy to foster and forward his passion, because it made Japan stronger militarily.

Personally, I think personal accountability is extremely important. You own up to what you do, good or bad, and accept what might come from it. If you made warplanes because you wanted to make them, and had no moral qualms because you felt it was in the best interest of your country and people, then just say so. But if it is suggested that you simply wanted to make planes and your planes happened to then be turned into weapons of war... to me that's not accepting responsibility. That's not being accountable. This was not a "noble" act warped by the military into something you didn't intend. This is something you intended in order to do what you wanted to do, and that's not noble at all; not in my book, anyway.

Again, I haven't seen the movie. I do have a mild interest in doing so now, mainly to determine for myself how Miyazaki was trying to portray this, as well as how successful he was in doing so. But that desire isn't strong enough to warrant me spending the time and money to do it, so I don't know if or when I will. Still, it has raised issues which I think should be raised, so I'm glad Miyazaki made the movie.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. That, from an American? Really? Ha... ha... hahahahahaha.... I'm reminded of a piece of dialogue from the 50th Anniversary special of Dr. Who:
"Time travel... No one can know we have this, not even our alies."
"Why not?"
"Think about it: Americans with the ability to rewrite history? you've seen their movies".
BikuRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey, so I'm just throwing this out there, but is it entirely unfathomable that Miyazaki purposefully chose to exclude certain details in order to make an intentional statement within the film?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but Michael Bay and Miyazaki aren't exactly on the same operating level.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's been endemic of American film making since the dawn of Hollywood...
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
One thing that always bothered me watching the trailers for The Wind Rises (I haven't seen it yet) especially after I read some of Jiro Horikoshi's english bios online

Is Naoko based on a real person? Like, did the real Jiro Horikoshi have an important lady in his life or was she and their romance invented for the movie?

Again, I haven't seen it and I'm sure it's obvious if I just read a little more history.

But since we're talking about Historical Revisionism, it seems like an important start if it paints Horikoshi in a more sympathetic light (and from what I hear, their romance takes up a good chunk of the film)

Naoko is a fictional character and the fictional dramatic story between her and Jiro is based on a short novel called "The Wind Has Risen" by Tatsuo Hori. This was actually explained by Miyazaki himself in an interview held in last July in NHK TV.

As per the criticism, I already saw the movie actually.The movie tried to move away from the war element as much as possible and focused on one idea only "chasing one man dream". Miyazaki tried in many spots to show his usual thoughts about wars. Wether this was considered rewriting the history or not, definitely this is not the message that Miyazaki tried to deliver through his movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's been endemic of American film making since the dawn of Hollywood...

British too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9