• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Studio Makes Hanayamata Schoolgirl Dancing TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
It's very very light on the yuri side, but Hanayamata is the best manga I've read in a very long time (only the first two volumes are available in French, volume 3 is coming out this month I think).

I've been hoping for an anime adaptation since I've started reading it, which granted is only a few weeks ago, but to me that's one of the very best piece of news of 2013! Hanayamata somehow reminded me of everything I really liked about both Love Live and Kinmoza, so if you enjoyed any of those be sure to check this one out.

So I guess that "yuri" tag was very presumptuous from someone who inputted that, huh. Anyways, after doing a quick search on this yosakoi dance, will Madhouse bring their A-game in actually animating these dances?

There's a lot of yuri-subtext in the first two volumes I've read, but that's not really uncommon when you don't have a single male character (well, sort of) in the story. I already compared the yuri level in the manga to Love Live's or Kinmoza's, and that's honestly the best comparison I can think of right now. It's definitely not the Saki or Sasameki Koto kind of yuri, for example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm still really looking forward to this, but it's not quite the import-lock I thought it was.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Okay then I can safely say that I will never watch this.

Shame such great character designs were wasted on this.

You don't like yuri but you have a yuri avatar? I don't understaaaaaand.....
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Okay then I can safely say that I will never watch this.

Shame such great character designs were wasted on this.

You don't like yuri but you have a yuri avatar? I don't understaaaaaand.....

(I know I said that was my last post but this just clarifying)

My avatar has two dudes in it, Shiori and Inumuta from Kill La KIll. All of my avatars on ANN are men.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Well, I'm still really looking forward to this, but it's not quite the import-lock I thought it was.

The anime COULD still take a different angle on it, we'll have to wait and see but I do think this has the potential to be something really special.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I could be really wrong but I have a feeling that 2014 will be the year of (subtext) yuri, as if this year is not so (subtly) yurilicious enough . Anyway, I have not read the manga of this new anime, so I cannot say a single thing about it. However, I am looking forward to watch it, whether if it's yuri bait or not.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuri doesn't affect my enjoyment of anime, but I do enjoy shows focused on the friendship between girls so I'll check this one out.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
2014 is looking pretty good. 2 yuri shows in the same year? Be still, my beating heart.

3* including Akuma no riddle.

And then Saki S2(& new strike witches series if we are lucky) with yuri undertones, and then chu2 with its yuri side-couple.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
2014 is looking pretty good. 2 yuri shows in the same year? Be still, my beating heart.

Oh right, I keep forgetting about that one. I'm finding it hard to get enthused about that one ahead of time for some reason.

Quote:
And then Saki S2(& new strike witches series if we are lucky) with yuri undertones, and then chu2 with its yuri side-couple.

I want more than subtext, dammit. It's better than nothing, I guess, barely, but it's just cruel teasing. Teasing it and doing nothing with it is almost worse than nothing.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
rederoin wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Oh right, I keep forgetting about that one. I'm finding it hard to get enthused about that one ahead of time for some reason.

Quote:

I want more than subtext, dammit. It's better than nothing, I guess, barely, but it's just cruel teasing. Teasing it and doing nothing with it is almost worse than nothing.

Well, subtext is better than nothing, atleast.

But depending on what squadron it'll be about, we might get more than subtext in the new strike witches series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Akuma no Riddle is a real wild card; who knows how that will go. There's also Ikuhara's Yuri Bear Storm which is really been secretive since it's announcement. And of course there's whether Psycho Pass S2 will be a direct continuation of S1 so we could get more Shion x Yayoi moments! Cool

So yeah, 2014 has potential with Sakura Trick taking the definitive lead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

"Ordinary in looks" Made me laugh because those girls are hella cute and 90% of the girls I've seen where I live are no where near that level of cute.

Well, if at least half the people around her are even better-looking, then she is ordinary. Kinda like ya could be tall in one country, but in another country, you're just average height. Or you could be homecoming queen in your hometown, but then you go to Hollywood or Sweden.

Anyways, Yosakoi is really a modern dance. Seen it performed in colleges and often with both guys and gals.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
More yuri?
Even if it is just subtext, 2014 just keeps getting better and better.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
After youtubing Yasukoi to find out what it is and this being from Madhouse, I am somewhat interested.
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of series next year with Yuri elements, let's not forget Sailor Moon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4