• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Last Exile - Fam, The Silver Wing -

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Problem with this license: It has no official Japanese air date. It only has a 1 episode world premiere right now during July 4th weekend, and that's it.

It has no plans for summer 2011 at the moment, so at best we get it in Fall 2011 (which is also unconfirmed). It's more of a downside for those to view it now since it will likely be forgotten anyways let alone a huge downside for Funimation. Funimation has to pay for a license of a show that doesn't even "exist" yet. For all we know, Gonzo could delay this show for another year and Funimation will have spent a year of licensing fees for nothing.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
So freaking awesome! Funimation rocking again. Smile

Would be cool if they gave Shangri-La a little complete set release, I enjoyed it so I'd love to own it.

gwdone wrote:
The original series has one of the best opening theme I have ever heard! Really great artwork. I love my Avis figure from the series.. It's one of my favorites figures. I really look forward to the new Last Exile

Very true, Cloud Age Symphony was godly! With the original composer back it would be really cool if they called up their old buds at Dolce Triade to do another song either as an OP/ED or an insert somewhere like the one in the first series.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Funimation has to pay for a license of a show that doesn't even "exist" yet.

It wouldn't be the first time, or even uncommon, especially in the current age of simulcasts where negotiations necessarily have to start early. It used to be that American companies would be involved in the initial funding of anime, dating back to Manga and the original Ghost in the Shell (although the most recent example that comes to mind was ADV and Kaleidostar).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, also, you know now with Funi pre-announcing their license for home video and streaming I could see them using the premiere as the occasion to announce some of the broadcast details. And they already have a full trailer and full voice cast list, plus the official site has already been updated regularly and is now highly populated with quite a lot of character bios and ship designs which is usually part of the buildup to the airdate.

Personally I'm glad it didn't end up a Summer show, I hope it's a Fall show, as then it has a much higher chance of being a full 2-cour show like the original Last Exile, and after all this time to finally get a show in that awesome universe again as the new anniversary Gonzo project it'd be really cool if it's getting a full 24-26 so it can tackle another ambitious storyline.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
(and since Funi seems to get along well with Gonzo and because they're re-releasing the show under the Classic line which seems to indicate the show sold well)

I'm somewhat curious how well that really is though. At least as far as the BD re-release, TRSI says it was canceled but Amazon still shows it as coming this November. Could be a sign of needing to pull back somewhat on the exuberance... or maybe gun it up because they plan to release both seasons together.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. I loves me some Last Exile, and I figured Funi had the streaming rights to this one given the announcement on last weeks anncast, but I'm actually kind of surprised that they grabbed the home video rights too. Hopefully it won't dissapoint in numbers or quality, but if it's as good as the first (hell, even close), I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
(and since Funi seems to get along well with Gonzo and because they're re-releasing the show under the Classic line which seems to indicate the show sold well)

I'm somewhat curious how well that really is though. At least as far as the BD re-release, TRSI says it was canceled but Amazon still shows it as coming this November. Could be a sign of needing to pull back somewhat on the exuberance... or maybe gun it up because they plan to release both seasons together.

As is sadly common now I imagine it was cancelled in order for the Japanese side to be able to release their Last Exile BD set first, even FLCL hit that snag where Funi seemed hesitant to give us a date until it had one in Japan especially once news of a Japanese set became more prominent. I don't remember the exact date but I think the timing of when they cancelled/put on hiatus the LE BD set and removed it from TRSI also almost coincided with the timing of the surprise announcement of Last Exile getting a whole new series, if Last Exile weren't getting re-ignited perhaps Funi's planned BD wouldn't have been delayed. I want my Last Exile BD goodness too so it's ashame, hopefully it still eventually comes out.

Fifth B wrote:
Hopefully it won't dissapoint in numbers or quality, but if it's as good as the first (hell, even close), I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least.

This! Smile I hope so too.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Funimation has to pay for a license of a show that doesn't even "exist" yet.

It wouldn't be the first time, or even uncommon, especially in the current age of simulcasts where negotiations necessarily have to start early. It used to be that American companies would be involved in the initial funding of anime, dating back to Manga and the original Ghost in the Shell (although the most recent example that comes to mind was ADV and Kaleidostar).

Actually, in the age of "simulcasts," (if you count 1 week after it airs as simulcasts from Funimation) I expect early licenses like this to be less common since companies can release almost immediately after whereas back when simulcasts were nonexistent, I would expect earlier licenses so that companies could release as soon as it hit Japan's shelves.
Obviously this was never the case, which I find it a bit odd, or at least in my opinion it is.

Considering an anime episode license can be up to $20000 per episode, that's a lot of cash just to hold on to the license. For Last Exile 2, I'm guessing around $10000 per episode.

It's nice to see Funimation to try to jump on this asap, but here's a few reasons why I'm not all too convinced: 1) Funimation recently bought itself at a loss. With a lack of a parent company financially supporting them, should they really be spending any more cash at the moment as a result? It's nice that they want to be active, but I think they may be gradually digging their own grave. 2) Funimation still has a huge backlog of shows dating back 2-3 years worth of material. Sure they're getting the more popular titles out first, but I feel that they're also giving up a lot of cash in the process simply by holding on to licenses with no confirmed release dates. Imagine if Gonzo/GDH went bust (again) or chose to cancel the show before it even aired?

Funimation is ambitious, but when it comes to implementation, they need to regain market share in the simulcast business. 1 week after airing =/= simulcast, especially given the way Crunchyroll has been doing a splendid job recently.
HiroNotHero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! I definitely want to see this one, since I've seen/own/loved the first series. I'll buy this for sure when it releases in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2