• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Hardest Walk

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I wish Ikaruga would come out on PSN. It's my favourite shooter ever, even though I totally suck at it.

I also wish they had had more copies of the ToS: Chronicles Collector's Edition for pre-order. It's going for over twice the price on ebay right now. Frig that.

Regarding the Collector's Edition of Symphonia it was available for months. I pre-ordered it the day they made it avaliable and that was back in November. You could still pre-order it in a few places in late January and maybe even early February. Its a little late to complain about a game that is actually a # limited edition coming out next week.

Not only that, from what I hear they actually add 3,000 copies to the run for exactly that reason.

I never got why Mystwalker seemed to blow off Sony. They even made 2 games for the 360 which was not terribly popular in Japan, and a few games for Nintendo. Yet Sony which out of the consoles (not handhelds) is traditionally viewed as the most JRPG friendly, nothing. Was this Sony refusing to work with them or them just not bothering with Sony.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
i thought Mistwalker was dead. I didn't know they are still making iOS games. iOS is not for hardcore gamers. They should make games for vita instead of iOS
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Tales of Symphonia was a solidly enjoyable game.

Unless, of course, you play multiplayer with anything other than 2 melee fighters, in which it's utterly impossible.

Quote:
...and has the various improvements...

Please let there be a better camera, please let there be a better camera, please let there be a better camera...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I never got why Mystwalker seemed to blow off Sony. They even made 2 games for the 360 which was not terribly popular in Japan, and a few games for Nintendo. Yet Sony which out of the consoles (not handhelds) is traditionally viewed as the most JRPG friendly, nothing. Was this Sony refusing to work with them or them just not bothering with Sony.
Because they make games for whoever funds them. MW is like Red Entertainment and Armour Project. They come up with the ideas and have someone fund them and work with another developer to make them.

MS funded them at first. Then I guess that was it. Which is a shame, because Blue Dragon and LO didn't sell poorly relative to other jrpgs not called FF.

Then Nintendo funded them.

Sony hasn't funded them, but what big Japanese made projects has Sony really funded for thier recent consoles?

White Knight Chronicles? Folklore and Genji? Which both probably did nothing and thus probably stooped thier relationship with Game Republic. Demon Souls? I don't know, nothing really big like a console jrpg. Maybe Sony just isn't interested or maybe Mistwalker just isn't interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will it be enough to stand alongside Vesperia and Xillia and the upcoming Xillia 2? And if it doesn't, will fans buy the special edition anyway, just for the figures and soundtrack and fully translated mini-novel?

Those three never interested me all that much, and I've had this game preordered since November.

That being said, I probably won't touch it until this summer due to college. Oh well.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Also scheduled for a release this week is Idea Factory's Monster Monpiece for the Vita.

Not really, Monpiece is supposed to be out this spring, the 2/18 release date was misinformed (date mentioned in the PSN store). (Should have been corrected, but its too late.)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Because they make games for whoever funds them. MW is like Red Entertainment and Armour Project. They come up with the ideas and have someone fund them and work with another developer to make them.

MS funded them at first. Then I guess that was it. Which is a shame, because Blue Dragon and LO didn't sell poorly relative to other jrpgs not called FF.

Then Nintendo funded them.

Sony hasn't funded them, but what big Japanese made projects has Sony really funded for thier recent consoles?

White Knight Chronicles? Folklore and Genji? Which both probably did nothing and thus probably stooped thier relationship with Game Republic. Demon Souls? I don't know, nothing really big like a console jrpg. Maybe Sony just isn't interested or maybe Mistwalker just isn't interested.

So it was more of an issue on Sony's end.

I will say as much as Nintendo has disappointed me over the last decade, they have been alright for the jrpg crowd. They have kept Fire Emblem going, and we are going to get the crossover with Atlus. They got monolith. Have a good relationship with Atlus for the 3ds rpgs. And supported Mystwalker. I can't say much else about them, but kudos for that.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I wish Ikaruga would come out on PSN. It's my favourite shooter ever, even though I totally suck at it.

Same here. Need another Dreamcast to play it, though, since the GD-ROM drive is kaput.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Quoting for truth. This is just like how people complained that Bayonetta 2 was coming out for the Wii U--it's not Platinum's fault that Microsoft and Sony weren't willing to put out the big bucks for the game. Nintendo backed them, paid them extra to keep the game exclusive (I imagine), and that was that.
Yause

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

So it was more of an issue on Sony's end.

I will say as much as Nintendo has disappointed me over the last decade, they have been alright for the jrpg crowd. They have kept Fire Emblem going, and we are going to get the crossover with Atlus. They got monolith. Have a good relationship with Atlus for the 3ds rpgs. And supported Mystwalker. I can't say much else about them, but kudos for that.

Nintendo recognized that they need hardcore gamers to serve as a seed. That said, they view these things as mere gateways to the "real" goal (the mainstream market, such as with the Wii and DS), so I hesitate to call it genuine support. 3rd parties have complained that they're being treated as filler to help build the initial userbase before the real product takes over.

As for Mistwalker, they've broken up, so Sakaguchi is on his own now. Former president, Kensuke Tanaka, is over at Kadokawa Games, while ex-director Daisuke Fukushima is at Crafts & Meister. Kimihiko Fujisaka appears to be freelancing.

The article cites Takuya Matsumoto (former Artoon/Marvelous AQL director), but he was never a Mistwalker employee. At any rate, he joined a social games company in 2012, effectively exiting the traditional games business. Technically, I think Matsumoto is under GREE now since they invested in his company and made them exclusive.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yause wrote:

Nintendo recognized that they need hardcore gamers to serve as a seed. That said, they view these things as mere gateways to the "real" goal (the mainstream market, such as with the Wii and DS), so I hesitate to call it genuine support.

Which is nothing new to gaming. The so-called "hardcore" aren't a big enough base to rely on for profit. That's why the broader audience is always more essential. That's how it's always been in gaming.

Quote:
3rd parties have complained that they're being treated as filler to help build the initial userbase before the real product takes over..

Yeah, they're not being treated like special little snowflakes. This is bad how? Sounds to me like 3rd parties need to check their egos. Last time I checked, there was not some constitutional right written that ensured that they were to be given special treatment
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Quoting for truth. This is just like how people complained that Bayonetta 2 was coming out for the Wii U--it's not Platinum's fault that Microsoft and Sony weren't willing to put out the big bucks for the game. Nintendo backed them, paid them extra to keep the game exclusive (I imagine), and that was that.

But in Sony and MS defense Bayonetta was not a great seller, nor was it a unique game they needed especially with DMC reboot doing as well as it did. Sony also has the GoW series, so they are kind of set on 3rd person action adventure games.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Regarding the Collector's Edition of Symphonia it was available for months. I pre-ordered it the day they made it avaliable and that was back in November. You could still pre-order it in a few places in late January and maybe even early February. Its a little late to complain about a game that is actually a # limited edition coming out next week.

Not only that, from what I hear they actually add 3,000 copies to the run for exactly that reason.

Don't get snarky now. I've been checking and re-checking Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and ebgames for months now. I have never seen it available for pre-order. I'm usually pretty quick to jump on stuff I want to pre-order, but this one just went too fast.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

But in Sony and MS defense Bayonetta was not a great seller, nor was it a unique game they needed especially with DMC reboot doing as well as it did. Sony also has the GoW series, so they are kind of set on 3rd person action adventure games.

Oh, I'm not bashing Sony or Microsoft for their decision--don't get me wrong. I'm bashing on the people who complain about B2 being a Wii U exclusive. Fans tend to over-look things like "sales data" when it comes to games.

Sorry for the mix-up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2