• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
I don’t really keep up with American cartoons, so are there any other good recommendations? (No Airbender, Archer, Daria or MLP please)

If you like superheroes, there's Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Young Justice. Really good shows that unfortunately only lasted two seasons.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I have thoughts about that "gender-biased" genres thing later.

lkmjr wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the lack of Precure on western TV and streaming. On one hand, it would be wonderful if little American girls could experience Precure and love it the way I loved Sailor Moon as a little girl. On the other, Precure already has more than its fair share of creepy fans and I want to keep as much distance between it and the culture that produced Bronies as possible.

Ehh, I wouldn't want to ruin a chance bringing Precure over just because it may create an overbearing loud, creepy fans. That periphery fandom needs to be more responsible and be willing to call out anyone if they go overboard.

lkmjr wrote:
I think the window for making it work over here passed years ago, though. The first season was dubbed and aired in Canada in 2009 but didn't seem to go anywhere. Now it's just too long and those first few seasons are a little bit too dated. It's a shame; if someone had taken a chance on it years and years ago, it could be huge over here, and incredibly important in a time when animated heroines are few and far between.

The company doesn't have to start from the beginning. They could just bring over the most recent series and start from there just like how Saban started with Zyuranger and continued forth for Power Rangers. Remember, each Pretty Cure series (except Max Heart and GoGo 5) is standalone.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Especially if we're talking shows like Pretty Cure and Doraemon which are a bit more important to the animation industry for their genre defining merits compared to random Cartoon Network stuff.

-Stuart Smith

Uh, pardon my ignorance but which genres did Pretty Cure and Doraemon "define"?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, but 99% of anime is not Shakespeare.
And incest is not usually used the way it is there either.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat May 17, 2014 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:
Okay, but 99% of anime is not Shakespeare.
And incest is not usually used the way is is there either.

Fans of incest fetish stuff in anime really love to list other things that use that element as "hey this stuff is all the same", like Game of Thrones, and I've found that 100% of the time they're completely ignoring the context incest is used in just about every other production.

It isn't presented as fetish material in nearly anything else. It isn't supposed to be sexy. Most of the time it's there to mortify and shock and be scandalous and wrong, and not in an "ooo this is so wrong tee hee sexxxy!" way. I'm sure there are exceptions but generally that's what it's used for.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Especially if we're talking shows like Pretty Cure and Doraemon which are a bit more important to the animation industry for their genre defining merits compared to random Cartoon Network stuff.

-Stuart Smith

Uh, pardon my ignorance but which genres did Pretty Cure and Doraemon "define"?

Well, at the very least, one can definitely argue that the original Pretty Cure re-defined magical girl anime by giving its heroines actual fights & not just simply relying on magical powers. Sure, as the franchise went on that idea of "girls literally kicking ass" got downplayed, but at least it showed something new for the genre.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Dunno how an anime can to 'too anime' Maybe a better word is 'too Japanese' Laughing Seems like all those hits in America are anime that features a Caucasian setting instead of a Japanese one. Bebop, Titan, Trigun. Seems like a case of ethnocentrism or xenophobia in play in what show can find mainstream success here.

Oh it is, which I find hilarious, considering that these shows are made with a JAPANESE audience in mind.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Well, at the very least, one can definitely argue that the original Pretty Cure re-defined magical girl anime by giving its heroines actual fights & not just simply relying on magical powers. Sure, as the franchise went on that idea of "girls literally kicking ass" got downplayed, but at least it showed something new for the genre.

Adding a twist doesn't make it "genre-defining" in any way that would resemble the meaning of the phrase "genre-defining".

People really like Pretty Cure and it's a popular franchise, and that's great. Let's not prescribe historical importance where there is none.

The original point, which was flawed to begin with, was "I can't believe you scoff at Japanese children's shows but then say you like American children's shows!" which is a dumb thing to say, based on nothing that anyone actually said in the podcast at all, so maybe just drop this one.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Jave wrote:
Dunno how an anime can to 'too anime' Maybe a better word is 'too Japanese' Laughing Seems like all those hits in America are anime that features a Caucasian setting instead of a Japanese one. Bebop, Titan, Trigun. Seems like a case of ethnocentrism or xenophobia in play in what show can find mainstream success here.

Oh it is, which I find hilarious, considering that these shows are made with a JAPANESE audience in mind.

Orrrrr it's just that otaku have godawful tastes, so there's a much better chance for shows not laser-focused on them as an audience to have decent writing and characterization.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

If you can't tell when something is "too anime," you might be watching too much anime... By the way, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and less so Tenchi Muyo, were fairly popular when they aired, and all three have very Japanese sensibilities.

I also recall that Inu Yasha was very popular on both Toonami and YTV for a while a decade or so ago, and that's very, very culturally Japanese. Popular to a lesser degree, (but not shown on YTV) but still very Japanese, was Rurouni Kenshin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
lkmjr wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the lack of Precure on western TV and streaming. On one hand, it would be wonderful if little American girls could experience Precure and love it the way I loved Sailor Moon as a little girl. On the other, Precure already has more than its fair share of creepy fans and I want to keep as much distance between it and the culture that produced Bronies as possible.

I do not think bronies would care about PreCure because it's about humans and not horses. That is why bronies who thought MLP was going to be big in Japan were misguided. Otaku are not furries. Furry culture is a very small section of Japan's population and is regulated to a very small group of people of only a few hundred at best. Those people might like MLP, but people who thought it was going to be rubbing elbows with KanColle and Pretty Cure don't really understand the market and just think otaku are some catch-all demographic of nerds. It's a common misconception.

The reason Pretty Cure probably won't work in America is for a few reason

1. Sexism: Girl cartoons doesn't sell very well in America. If it does, it's based on dolls. And girl action leads certainly don't sell. Before anyone cites Korra as an example I would like to point out:

a. It is based on an established franchise.
b. It has tanked in ratings so saying it sold is questionable
c. Korra is a very masculine character. She's not feminine like the Pretty Cures. She was focus tested to appeal to boys first and foremost, not girls. In fact, that show seems to go out of it's way to demonize and talk down to femininity in how they portray Asami, but that's a whole other discussion.
d. People are using one show to make a point. Until the market has fifty Korras under it's belt, the market can be re-assessed.

2. Nostalgia. The west in general seems to latch onto one show and then throw everything else in the bin. Sailor Moon is huge, Yu-Gi-Oh is huge, Voltron is huge, Power Rangers is huge, Pokemon is huge, they have essentially made it impossible for shows in the same genre to flourish. The American market seems to be defined by one definitive example of each genre and everything else gets ignored. In Japan you can have 10 different shows of the same type airing and they can all be successful.

3. Pretty Cure is a yearly installment series. This ties into nostalgia as well. When people say they love Power Rangers, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh in America they generally mean the original series for each: Mighty Morphin, Kanto League, and Duel Monsters. All the later ones are a bit shafted in the west. Yearly installment series seem to do worse and worse over time in America. America doesn't really do this kind of franchising, they most do reboots and re-imaginings. Ninja Turtles will always be about Leonardo and his brother, Transformers will always be about Optimus Prime, Spider-Man will always be about Spider-Man, Ben 10 will always be about Ben Tennyson, etc. It's a different style of storytelling across cultures.

As for the genre-defining nature of it. I think the fact that Toei is putting Sailor Moon on the backburner for it is indication enough. Pretty Cure usurped Sailor Moon as magical girl poster child long ago in Japan.

EyeOfPain wrote:
By the way, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and less so Tenchi Muyo, were fairly popular when they aired, and all three have very Japanese sensibilities.

I think children's anime can't be used because they are always heavily localized. Sailor Moon, for all intents and purposes, was American. They had American names, it took place in America, they spoke in American slang. Shows like Tenchi and Inuyasha do not count as they were never huge giants like these franchises.

I agree with Jave that anime that is popular in America does seem either heavily localized or is heavily based on western culture to begin with. I suppose Americans just relate to their own culture better. Understandable, though a bit unfortunate as it's very limiting.

As per Steven Universe, I have only seen one episode. The episode about sword fighting. I did not personally see anything special about it and it seemed like a fairly typical kids cartoon, but it seems a harmless enough show compared to other things about there.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The live chat was super fun, guys. Can't wait for the next one, hope I have better questions then. ^^;
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sad to hear Zac & Hope are losing interest in AT, I for one am glad it's expanded on its world & lore. But I like mixing cartoon zaniness with serious fantasy, both are parts of AT & MLP's strength IMO.

I agree that Steven Universe is pretty awesome, and deffinantly has one of if not the best soundtrack of any toon if not show on TV ATM!

Korra had a good start IMO, but yeah the flashback eps were deffinanlty the highlight of season 2.

Rick & Morty is hit & miss for me, the episodes that hit are pretty dang good though! Deff abit better then Community. Same goes for Bob's Burgers.

And yeah Gravity Falls is the best toon Disney has had on in quite some time! Can't wait for season 2 ta start later this summer!

I will say though i'm surprised no one mentioned Wander Over Yonder, it's a pretty fun little toon, simple, but fun.

As for other toons, Clarence has been pretty cute so far, not much substance, but a nice lil snack. Also Transformers: Prime was a solid show and all three seasons are on Blu-Ray from Shout Factory.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Orrrrr it's just that otaku have godawful tastes, so there's a much better chance for shows not laser-focused on them as an audience to have decent writing and characterization.

There's nothing more laser focused than only liking anime about Caucasians and still clinging to a show that aired 20 years ago and refusing to let it's lifeless corpse rest in peace already.

Otaku have way more diverse taste in anime than Americans do, I can tell you that for a fact. Shows ranging from Attack on Titan to Bakemonogatari can be huge hits. From action to comedy, and being set in Japan or being set in Anglo-Saxon countries. Anything can be a hit in Japan. Not so much here though.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
People really like Pretty Cure and it's a popular franchise, and that's great. Let's not prescribe historical importance where there is none.

Even if it didn't define the genre, Precure has been the face of magical girls for over a decade in Japan. That has to count for something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4