• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Can I put in a request for that question not to be answered? The Sword Art Online thread was enough of a mess, and this one looks ready to turn into a giant record-breaking thread when the show is more than a month away.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Can I put in a request for that question not to be answered?

Fine by me. I seriously don't want to talk about Suguha...unless it's about hating her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess all I'll say here is that Suguha had the advantage of getting an entire half a show focused on her, whereas Asuna had to compete with tons of side stories for screentime.

Sinon is in the same advantageous position that Suguha was.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
As a narrative the Fairy Dance arc was just poorly executed overall and it wasted development of Kirito, Asuna, as well as misused any character that made even a brief appearance.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much looking forward to the next arc. From what I've read, Sinon sounds like an interesting enough character, especially with Asuna/Suguha taking a back seat this season.

I enjoyed the Fairy Dance Arc, it wasn't of the same quality as Aincrad but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. I kinda liked Suguha/ Leafa as a character and felt for her at the end. Hopefully we'll see her some more. Smile

As a fan of Log Horizon, I'm hoping they can inject some intelligence into the arc and not just have one big shoot out, episode after episode, which is what I'm afraid might happen. Confused

Fingers crossed!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
As a fan of Log Horizon, I'm hoping they can inject some intelligence into the arc and not just have one big shoot out, episode after episode, which is what I'm afraid might happen. Confused

Fingers crossed!

Well, you know how these shooters work. Players spray out thousands of bullets into their opponents until said opponents run up to them and kill them in one hit with a knife.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I'm very much looking forward to the next arc. From what I've read, Sinon sounds like an interesting enough character, especially with Asuna/Suguha taking a back seat this season.

I enjoyed the Fairy Dance Arc, it wasn't of the same quality as Aincrad but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. I kinda liked Suguha/ Leafa as a character and felt for her at the end. Hopefully we'll see her some more. Smile

Fingers crossed!

please don't follow Log Horizon,A-1 Pictures and
Aniplex. That anime is horrible. People won't watch it or buy your bluray. Unless you hate money then do what you want.

And i have alot of entertainment watching the hates.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

please don't follow Log Horizon,A-1 Pictures and
Aniplex. That anime is horrible. People won't watch it or buy your bluray. Unless you hate money then do what you want.

And i have alot of entertainment watching the hates.

Not sure if human or robot, 4/10.

Log Horizon is clearly written by someone who has played MMORPGs where Sword Art is written by someone... that knows that they exist.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The original story was written in 2002, and I'm sure the MMO scene was much different back then than it is these days (WOW was 2 years later).

Besides, it takes place in the future so it doesn't need to be like the MMOs of today.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
If this thing gets even 1/20th of the coolness and depth of Log Horizon I'll be amazed. It used it's MMO-world setting brilliantly. But I highly doubt it will since they seem to be aiming for totally different things.

If Sinon falls for Kirito, I'd like to see something where she either wins him over from Asuna or he outright turns her down. I'll be pretty angry if she falls for him and nothing really comes of it.

It's kind of a shame Kirito is just a bishie. He's missing out on a lot of free loot.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Everybody knows SOA authors played FFXI online.

Let me clarify it then, the Anime rendition of SAO is clearly missing the continued nuances of the source material that establish that the events do indeed occur in an MMO type situation, mind you I am simply a BAKA GAIJIN that has not read the light novel in it's original language.

I've read the source novel (for the Aincard arc, anyway), and the anime version is missing very little, even in the sense you're talking about. In fact, in some respects it improves on the source material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Finished watching on TV. Looks like the first episode already established the fact that it will be about spoiler[GGO with even one scene directly spelling it out.]

We get some spoiler[Kirito and Asuna moments as well. Uh, I haven't read the LN yet so I'm not too sure what to think of this. We do see Sinon near the end there though. I guess we'll see more of her action soon.]

spoiler[The OP song was okay I guess. (played at the end)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
After numerous Crunchyroll server problems and with persistence, I've just managed to watch the first Episode.

First impressions we're pretty good. I don't know about anyone else, but spoiler[GGO] felt almost Star Wars like... Without the different alien species.

It was nice to see spoiler[KiritoxAsuna] taking the stage. I was hoping they'd get some screen time together before he gets spoiler[thrown back into the virtual world.]

I'm already a fan of spoiler[Sinon] without knowing that much about her... spoiler[Female snipers] are pretty awesome in my own opinion.

We also got a few name drops, with spoiler[Suguha, Liz, Yui] mentioned. Apparently the next episode looks spoiler[to have a few scenes of ALO], so we'll hopefully get to see them again.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So SAO is now about GGO.
Guess it spread to cover any virtual game.
It was nice to see Kirito & Asuna together in the real world.
Looks like there are new problems in the virtual world.
Lots and lots of info, but really good foundation for the real start.
Good first episode.
Will be watching this.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The music! The music!

The story is interesting at least so far and the animation is as nice as I expected (for some reason, sunsets in this series are really really pretty) but the music is phenomenal. Just stellar. Yet another show where I'll be anxiously looking forward to the soundtrack release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 115