• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys-Love Anime DRAMAtical Murder's 2nd Promo Video Previews Songs, Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Saturn wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I hope they took out all the gay scenes, like I've heard through rumors. Seems the story is decent.

...and why would you hope that?

Because the story might be interesting, since it's written by Nitro+, and I dislike watching BL.

But it is BL. There are more than enough series that do not have BL I think it would be good to have a BL series that does solely revolve around a "I'm not into you but I really am" relationship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it's pretty obvious it's going to take out the BL content like Togainu no Chi because of the potential wider audience range this way. I mean, I'm pretty sure the female fans will still watch the show for the eye candy, and the male fans can still enjoy the sci-fi action shounen/seinen story.

I also disagree that BL is all about sex, especially in Nitro+'s case where most of their visual novels tend to have a solid story line with or without BL content.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I think what you people meant by "taking out the BL" is "taking out the sexual content" there's a huge difference..

And yes they probably will take out the sexual content but I hope they don't take out the "relationships" (unless they are going for Aoba ends up with no one because its a visual novel with many routes)
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
^
No.

Just because something is BL does mean its all about sex scenes. I don't see how it would a be a problem for them to adapt the game keeping its action/scifi story and its BL romance intact. Obviously you had issues with the BL romance in it but others, myself included, want that aspect kept.

Durr, thats what I'm saying. There really wasnt any "BL romance". Like literally, there was practically none at all. The only time there was any was at the very end of the character routes and, as I would assume since its the same with all vn adaptations, they won't pick one random character and go through the whole route to get to those scenes. They'll more than likely stick to the true route while adding in bits from all routes collectively, which would mean Aoba wouldnt be close enough to anyone to get any of the already barely there BL romance scenes. You barely even read my post. I actually played the game, I'm not saying random crap and nonsense with no basis behind it.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
No, I read your post clearly. You thought the BL was forced and all it was in there was for the sex scenes. So yeah I read it. Still the game is a BL game (despite your opinion of its BL romance) and I am hoping that they are able to retain that in the anime adaptation.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
I said the hentai scenes, the hentai scenes felt forced and that there really was no BL romance existent within the game. You just reiterated that you did not read my post clearly. And where are you even getting this "your opinion on BL romance" that you keep attacking me for? I haven't said anything about my opinion on that in this thread even once.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Now who's not reading posts? I'm talking about your opinion of the BL romance in the game aka there is none it's just there for the sex scenes not your opinion of BL in general. I can only assume you are okay with BL since you played a BL game. Simple?
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious it's going to take out the BL content like Togainu no Chi because of the potential wider audience range this way. I mean, I'm pretty sure the female fans will still watch the show for the eye candy, and the male fans can still enjoy the sci-fi action shounen/seinen story.

I also disagree that BL is all about sex, especially in Nitro+'s case where most of their visual novels tend to have a solid story line with or without BL content.

Taking out the BL will just make the audience of the game not want to watch the anime. Anyone who is interested in the anime will be because of the BL game.

Taking the BL out of DMMD and trying to make it appeal to more than the audience it was originally intended for will just turn the adaption into another TNC adaption and we all know how 'well' that turned out.

If the BL is really taken out I am not wasting my time with this adaption. I thought DMMD overall was pretty boring and just overhyped, but the BL scenes were meh at best. Also the animation art does not compare to the game's. Might reconsider to watch for Noiz, but I don't like him enough to sit through another disappointment like TNC was.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
CatzCradle wrote:

Taking out the BL will just make the audience of the game not want to watch the anime. Anyone who is interested in the anime will be because of the BL game.

Taking the BL out of DMMD and trying to make it appeal to more than the audience it was originally intended for will just turn the adaption into another TNC adaption and we all know how 'well' that turned out.

If the BL is really taken out I am not wasting my time with this adaption. I thought DMMD overall was pretty boring and just overhyped, but the BL scenes were meh at best. Also the animation art does not compare to the game's. Might reconsider to watch for Noiz, but I don't like him enough to sit through another disappointment like TNC was.

Main problem with this. Leave the BL, keep the original fans. Lose it and you'll lose the fans but maybe get a wider no -BL-fan audience. That's a big risk though cause it not end up being popular with just it's story. (I personally will watch it either way, because I enjoyed the story as well as the BL). It's obviously not going to have the rated R stuff, but that's doesn't mean it can't be BL. Or could also go like No.6 and give us some obvious shipping moments without focusing on it, which I'm kind of hoping they do. That way, non-BL fans can still enjoy the story and just skip past any fluff.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
I think what you people meant by "taking out the BL" is "taking out the sexual content" there's a huge difference..

And yes they probably will take out the sexual content but I hope they don't take out the "relationships" (unless they are going for Aoba ends up with no one because its a visual novel with many routes)

Well, in the Toganinu no Chi anime (and manga), which is based on a game from the same company, they took out all the BL elements, except for a little bit of the creepy villain being creepy to his slave/pet/BDSM-toy. There were barely any slashable moments, much less relationship ones (and it was also a confused mess plotwise and boring as ****).

So if they do the same thing to DRAMAtical Murder, well, maybe it has a better story / will be a better adaption of the story...
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
mistress_kisara wrote:

Well, in the Toganinu no Chi anime (and manga), which is based on a game from the same company, they took out all the BL elements, except for a little bit of the creepy villain being creepy to his slave/pet/BDSM-toy. There were barely any slashable moments, much less relationship ones (and it was also a confused mess plotwise and boring as ****).

So if they do the same thing to DRAMAtical Murder, well, maybe it has a better story /will be a better adaption of the story...

Wasn't it the director who refused the BL in TNC? So if it's not the same director, there's hope maybe? :*D
piebaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:
CatzCradle wrote:

Main problem with this. Leave the BL, keep the original fans. Lose it and you'll lose the fans but maybe get a wider no -BL-fan audience. That's a big risk though cause it not end up being popular with just it's story. (I personally will watch it either way, because I enjoyed the story as well as the BL). It's obviously not going to have the rated R stuff, but that's doesn't mean it can't be BL. Or could also go like No.6 and give us some obvious shipping moments without focusing on it, which I'm kind of hoping they do. That way, non-BL fans can still enjoy the story and just skip past any fluff.

I'm hoping that they somehow manage to balance out and pander to both original fans and the general audience. If you have the sex scenes taken out and still vaguely allude to boy/boy romance while keeping enough of the sci-fi plot intact, it could work out? Idk. They really need solid writing and direction for this.

That aside, I'm pretty unsure if I'm going to pick this up. I'm a fan of BL, but the animation and design in this adaptation seem mediocre at best. Sad
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:

Wasn't it the director who refused the BL in TNC? So if it's not the same director, there's hope maybe? :*D

Right, not only that but the sales for the series after it aired were pretty mediocre too. So hopefully they should have the common sense to want to avoid another screwup like that. I can understand if they decide not to give Aoba any romantic relationships with the other male characters but it's not going to kill the series if they do, since its fanbase is likely going to be the intended audience.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high though. VN adaptations are VN adaptations, even with music as good as Goatbed in the background...
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:

I don't know either way, but even if that's the case it doesn't explain why they also de-BL'd the manga version (or at least the one Tokyopop licensed, don't know about the other one).
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There should be as many yaoi/yuri titles as possible. Though, even more importantly, yaoi/yuri characters and themes have to be delicately incorporated in mainstream anime so those types of relations could be finally humanized in the eyes of viewers, and less and less ignorance and stupid prejudice would be left in the world. But, of course, the industry is very conservative, so it can not be really expected, alas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2