• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Considering Importing Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Personally, I chose the "Just play them on your computer" option. I have a freeware program on my laptop called BlazeDVD that works great to play the Australian Siren Visual releases of Black Rock Shooter TV, Denno Coil, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai, and Monster. I connect the laptop my TV with HDMI to watch them.

I'd heard about that one before. It definitely looks like it has potential, but is only for DVD which will be enough for some people. Looking at the comparison of features on the website it seems that the version needed to play region free is the pro version which costs $50. Its something to look into and looks to be overall cheaper if DVD only is all you are looking for.

Well, the version I have is not the Pro version (It says Blaze DVD Standard 6) and it plays them just fine and it was the free download. You shouldn't need the Pro version just to watch. My only complaint with it is that clickable hotspots for the disc menus sometimes appear off of where they should be, like above it or something. They're still there but it still takes extra roving with the mouse to find it sometimes which is a bit annoying. Still the benefit of being able to own and play them is well worth putting up with it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, the version I have is not the Pro version (It says Blaze DVD Standard 6) and it plays them just fine and it was the free download. You shouldn't need the Pro version just to watch. My only complaint with it is that clickable hotspots for the disc menus sometimes appear off of where they should be, like above it or something. They're still there but it still takes extra roving with the mouse to find it sometimes which is a bit annoying. Still the benefit of being able to own and play them is well worth putting up with it.

Maybe its a recent change? As you can see from the image it says that Region Free is with the Pro version.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I downloaded the free one off their website, and it's playing my R2 Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai DVD from Telebi Magazine just fine.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Well, I downloaded the free one off their website, and it's playing my R2 Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai DVD from Telebi Magazine just fine.

Weird. Maybe I'll download it now even though I don't have any imports yet on the off chance its something they are planning to implement.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
After taking a quick skim through Madman and Siren Visual's sites, I've found these titles that are exclusive for Australian release (this disregards anything that had an American release that is currently in print or OOP):

Nichijou
Black Rock Shooter
Chihiyafuru
Genius Party
Hakaba Kitaro
Tatami Galaxy
Dennou Coil
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Anything I'm missing? Also, anyone in the UK know if there was any anime released in the country that is exclusive only to it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Gosick!

Black Rock Shooter and Tatami Galaxy were also released in the UK. I have no idea if Tatami Galaxy is still available though since that was released by Beez which was Bandai's European branch.

The only ones that I can think of that are exclusive to the UK are the Perfect Blue BD and Bakuman. (S2 is going to be released in July I think). Oh, and MVM has the licenses to S2 and S3 of Familiar of Zero, but those aren't out yet (they'll be releasing S1 in July).
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
The UK Bakuman release isn't worth it. The translation in the subtitles is appalling. It reads like someone's got the Japanese-French translation and fed it through Google Translate, which knowing the distributor wouldn't surprise me.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
But I thought that they had pushed back the release date so that they could take care of some errors? It's ridiculous that no one thought to do a spell check before selling it.

So glad that I haven't gotten round to buying it yet now.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Nope, they released it and it's terrible. No sign of a corrected version coming.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
After taking a quick skim through Madman and Siren Visual's sites, I've found these titles that are exclusive for Australian release (this disregards anything that had an American release that is currently in print or OOP):

Anything I'm missing? Also, anyone in the UK know if there was any anime released in the country that is exclusive only to it?

There are already dedicated threads maintained by WTK:
[AU] anime releases not licensed/released in N. America
[UK] anime releases not licensed / released in N. America

Ortensia1980 wrote:
I have no idea if Tatami Galaxy is still available though since that was released by Beez which was Bandai's European branch.

Long OOP along wither everything else Beez (that hasn't been rescued), but I've seen piled of them in the local CEX.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess another question I have to ponder in wanting to import would be video standards since I understand NTSC and PAL are used between different regions. America uses NTSC, while the UK and Australia use PAL. If I got a standalone region-free player and hooked it up to an NTSC TV, are there any settings on the player that would allow me to properly play PAL discs on my NTSC television?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
As far as I understand, it's much easier to get NTSC discs to play on a PAL system than the other way around due to PAL having a smaller framerate than NTSC. 99% of UK DVD players can play NTSC discs without issue. A lot of UK anime DVDs are released in NTSC format anyway, as the PAL speedup can distort the image and sound. Japan uses NTSC so that's what it's made for. Manga Entertainment release exclusively in PAL I think, on the infinitesimally small chance that one UK anime fan owns an old enough player that it's PAL only. For NTSC playing PAL, I think it entirely depends on your DVD player.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I guess another question I have to ponder in wanting to import would be video standards since I understand NTSC and PAL are used between different regions. America uses NTSC, while the UK and Australia use PAL. If I got a standalone region-free player and hooked it up to an NTSC TV, are there any settings on the player that would allow me to properly play PAL discs on my NTSC television?

What I've seen is that some come with a PAL to NTSC conversion ability, but you probably have to make sure that it states it upfront.

zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
There are a few ways around the region fiasco-for a computor find a version of Any DVD-it'll disable all region restrictions and copy protection (excluding cinevia) for dvds and blurays (depending on the version) and make them playable/rippable. For dvd and bluray players get a hardware modded unit or do it yourself (Rattlebyte is an excellent source for hardware mod kits).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
After giving it some thought and looking over the number of titles available exclusively in the UK and Australia, I've decided to hold off on importing and getting a region-free player for the time being. With the limited number of offerings for titles available exclusively in said countries that grab my interest, I don't see much incentive in importing titles right now. I might change my mind at some point in the near future as I am still open to the idea of importing at some point if I have any issue finding anything that grabs my interest in the American anime market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3