• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Mermaid's Scar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unitmikey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I loved this thing when I was a kid. Good memories. I really need to get a used copy of the video (thank god for my vhs player).

But I never did see the original Forest ova... which I might as well get too while I'm at it.

@Myaow: Oh my god they should seriously animate that fanfiction.
Akeema

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
This is actually my favourite Rumic work.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I love this OVA. I hope Japan will release it remastered on Blu-ray one day.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

I have fond memories of some of them, especially Fire Tripper (Can't even remember how many times I re-watched that tape, before retiring it for the subtitled version, and because the VHS-player broke. Though in hindsight that OVA was quite the romantic fluff, but charming nonetheless...). So I'd certainly pitch for one, if only to get a nice box of them on the shelf Smile ...

Was Fire Tripper the proto-Inuyasha story about the girl who goes back in time? I read a collection of Takahashi's short manga that I found in an out of state library years ago, excellent stuff. I love her creepy horror stories, and I really enjoyed all the Mermaid Saga manga that I managed to find. Does that 13 episode anime adaptation have a ending of sorts? Does the manga? I've always wondered if she completed Mermaid Saga conclusively.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
Been a while since I watched this thing. I love it 'cause I really love darker fantasy stuff.

The older version gets kinda forgotten with the newer version being more "complete" and more modernly "watchable" to most people. I'm a sucker for some of the older stuff, though.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Was Fire Tripper the proto-Inuyasha story about the girl who goes back in time?

Yes.
I had read Inuyasha first, and when I read "Fire Tripper" I immediately saw the connection.
One of her first short stories was "Those Obnoxious Aliens" which was a precursor to Urusei Yatsura

Quote:
Does that 13 episode anime adaptation have a ending of sorts? Does the manga? I've always wondered if she completed Mermaid Saga conclusively.

The manga is a collection of short stories set in the same world and mostly with the same two main characters. Each story has a conclusive ending, but the series does not.
I think that the anime series is the same, but it has been quite a while since I watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Mermaid Forest OVA (I'm pretty sure that I bought the CPM LD when it came out [and I might still have it, but I can't get to my LDs right this minute], and I think that I had it on VHS before that), and I always wanted to pick up Mermaid's Scar. Unfortunately, Viz only ever released it dubbed, so I haven't seen it.

I did buy the Mermaid Forest TV series when Geneon released the DVD-singles, and I own Viz's translation of the manga. I haven't read or seen all of Maison Ikkoku, but I love Takahashi's Mermaid stories.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
All I can say... Lesbian mermaids. That's what Mermaid Forest means to me.

One of my earliest true anime encounters and still one of the best. I wish it would be picked up.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I assumed that Mermaid scar was a prerequisite before becoming an anime fan.

There needs to be a list before you can self proclaim anything.
trunghuynh90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I seen both the OVA and TV series. The TV series was like a remake of the OVA so much more and better. I seen the TV series first and i already consider it a master piece. That sense of thrill, horror, and adventure, with really good story telling. Gives you truer sense of horror story telling of mermaid in the east, not like what we be having in the west, yo.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Yep, I recall picking this up randomly at Blockbuster back in the day. I remember a little bit from it but I wish I could watch it again... Damn nostalgic images are coming into my mind from the small anime isle in Blockbuster. Very vivid images, actually.

Mermaid Forest is also very good. I actually own the more recently made TV series but only watched two episodes before accidentally forgetting about it. I should try again.

Mermaid Saga is literally the only thing Takahashi has done that's stuck with me in the least. Haha. She definitely does horror best.
Clandescent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Always happy to see any article on the 90's from Justin Sevakis since I too was watching and collecting anime in those times, and I always like his explorations of the anime that people either overlooked or forget (I really enjoyed his 'Sailor Moon in the U.S' article he did a year or two ago. He was there like I was).

Yes, the Mermaid stories are terrific and really need to be re-released in subtitles. I liked those. Deviating from her usual comedy material, Takahashi's Mermaid OAVs were horrifically refreshing. Wink
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It has that harsh-edged look of 90s anime, with emotive character designs by Kumiko Takahashi and an incredible sense of moodiness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Rumiko? Or was it referring to the anime character designer?

I'd never heard of this series before reading this review, let alone seen it. So this was really interesting.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
when exactly was it released on VHS in America?
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It is indeed Kumiko, although there prolly should have been a "similar name/no relation" clause in the article. A Wiki list confirms her involvement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3