• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
RE: episode 5 review

Just saying, it's Shiroe, not Shirou. Wrong Saturday show lead character.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then Crusty gets devoured by an evil scythe!

Laughing

Yeah, that seemed like a slightly random and pretty wtf-ish moment in an otherwise fairly heartwarming episode. I guess it's connected to those "big changes" Roderick was talking about?

Anyway, i liked the "girls bonding" and Akatsuki's and Lenessia's character development and it looks like we'll be getting a bit more action again next week.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
With everything else in the game spoiler[struggling to mirror real life] why on earth wouldn't you be very, very concerned with spoiler[grim-dark flavor text??] Did the research guild's new revelations not get spread like wildfire through the world? o_O
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Did the research guild's new revelations not get spread like wildfire through the world? o_O

Remember that everything's pretty much happening at the same time right now, and we don't have the exact timing of where everything lines up.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Did the research guild's new revelations not get spread like wildfire through the world? o_O

Remember that everything's pretty much happening at the same time right now, and we don't have the exact timing of where everything lines up.

Oh, true, I assumed it was happening in slightly chronological order, not simultaneously. That would explain how the news didn't get around fast enough. ^^;
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Also Crusty's group (like Shiroe's) is NOT in Akiba, so even if something is "in all the gossip" in Akiba, the people outside MAY not know if their contacts haven't shared. I'm STILL wondering if Shiroe knows about the murders.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well, Shiroe's group is [supposedly] in no-contact, and it was obvious from the one conversation we saw between Marie and Naotsugu that they're trying not to worry/distract the other one, so I doubt that Shiroe's group knows about the murders or what's een discovered by the researchers.

whiskeyii wrote:
Dessa wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

Oh, true, I assumed it was happening in slightly chronological order, not simultaneously. That would explain how the news didn't get around fast enough. ^^;

I haven't read the novels myself, so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but basically, the stuff with Akatsuki and everyone in Akiba is volume 6, and the stuff with Shiroe's group is volume 7 (the scene at the lake is a beautiful illustration that wraps around the side and bottom of 2 pages). I'm not sure where Crusty's stuff happens, but I know the stuff with the goblins is supposed to at least be covered by the drama CD that comes with the LE of volume 7.

Since I've also heard that the stuff with the kids, and the stuff with Eastal happen in separate volumes, I'd figured that they'd run the two stories together, rather than one after another, but I'm wondering if having too many threads going at once is hurting our ability to keep straight the timeline.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Well, Shiroe's group is [supposedly] in no-contact, and it was obvious from the one conversation we saw between Marie and Naotsugu that they're trying not to worry/distract the other one, so I doubt that Shiroe's group knows about the murders or what's een discovered by the researchers.

whiskeyii wrote:
Dessa wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

I haven't read the novels myself, so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but basically, the stuff with Akatsuki and everyone in Akiba is volume 6, and the stuff with Shiroe's group is volume 7 (the scene at the lake is a beautiful illustration that wraps around the side and bottom of 2 pages). I'm not sure where Crusty's stuff happens, but I know the stuff with the goblins is supposed to at least be covered by the drama CD that comes with the LE of volume 7.

Since I've also heard that the stuff with the kids, and the stuff with Eastal happen in separate volumes, I'd figured that they'd run the two stories together, rather than one after another, but I'm wondering if having too many threads going at once is hurting our ability to keep straight the timeline.

I remember the Crusty bit in one of those two volumes for sure (6&7). Probably the Akatsuki one, since that's when the flavor text comes into the picture, but I'm not sure.

But since Crusty himself brought up the weapon and made a face to the flavor text, I'd wager he was already hazarding a guess something was off about the scythe, hence how he reacted to the thing going berserk so quickly.
AnimeMachina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Now you can understand the rage of people playing Archeage and having to pay their taxes for their houses Very Happy
Iggdrasil
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I love the show and will continue watching, but I think it's ridiculous that the buildings went from 5mil to BUY to 10mil in "upkeep" each MONTH. It seems like the individual guild buildings weren't that expensive since each guild had their own. And even if the "core" building that Shiroe bought has that level of cost, they should just let it go, since it was mainly just bought as leverage to get the initial plan working. It just seems too "we need a reason, so this is the deal..."

I believe it also worth mentioning that the reason The round table bought those properties was to keep potential "hostile" owners from controlling critical structures like the revive place and guild hall bank etc. Not paying the rent would cancel their ownership and could allow someone else to buy it!
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Iggdrasil wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I love the show and will continue watching, but I think it's ridiculous that the buildings went from 5mil to BUY to 10mil in "upkeep" each MONTH. It seems like the individual guild buildings weren't that expensive since each guild had their own. And even if the "core" building that Shiroe bought has that level of cost, they should just let it go, since it was mainly just bought as leverage to get the initial plan working. It just seems too "we need a reason, so this is the deal..."

I believe it also worth mentioning that the reason The round table bought those properties was to keep potential "hostile" owners from controlling critical structures like the revive place and guild hall bank etc. Not paying the rent would cancel their ownership and could allow someone else to buy it!

Like anyone but the other cities current governments could afford to buy that blasted thing though Razz

The main reason is to just lock people out of their bank accounts in the event that some form of banishing is required. They'd have to move to a different city and use the bank there, and you'd have to be quite the amazing player if you managed to walk the whole way with most of your items and cash gone and not die . . .
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Except that, before the Apocalypse, there weren't any city governments. There were GMs, just like a normal game. And if Shiroe hadn't have done what he did, there's a good chance Akiba could be in the same position as Minami, where one guild owns the Cathedral, and can keep you from respawning by banishing you from there. There's a reason that we've been explicitly told that Plant Hwyaden is ruling Minami as a dictatorship.
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
. . . I think I'm reading slight hostility in that tone. Which is weird because we're not even in disagreement at all?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The other thing that I thought was so interesting (and perhaps great) about this episode was the way that the women in the show were all put front and center. Shiroe was barely present (only in flashbacks), Crusty is out of commission, and the samurai guild-leader seemed to be stepping back to let his female comrades take the lead. Even Nyanta seemed to be relegating himself to a support role. Instead, Akatsuki, Leinessa, Rieze, Henrietta, and various other female leaders of the Round Table have all taken charge of planning, training, and executing the strategy to defeat the murderer. It's kind of rare for an anime to put this many women in charge without veering heavily into fan-service land. And none of it feels like a forced "girl power" message. It all felt natural. I think that was a great bonus for an already wonderful tension-building episode.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Except that, before the Apocalypse, there weren't any city governments. There were GMs, just like a normal game. And if Shiroe hadn't have done what he did, there's a good chance Akiba could be in the same position as Minami, where one guild owns the Cathedral, and can keep you from respawning by banishing you from there. There's a reason that we've been explicitly told that Plant Hwyaden is ruling Minami as a dictatorship.

OK, BUT the big problem with the new "upkeep" revelation is that any "potential" owners would have THE SAME ISSUE. considering that the Round Table (collectively) is having issues meeting the demand of affording the structures, I find it hard to believe that a hostile takeover could be done of Akihabara's important structures by a group that has to do the same thing for their own structures. Speaking of which, I have no idea how Plant Hwyaden can afford their own maintenance if Shiroe is going after the "source" of gold spawns in order to "make rent".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14