• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Film Scheduled For 2016, Focuses on Yūgi, Kaiba

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
If Peachshipping could end up becoming canon, I may be a bit more forgiving for Kishi not making NaruSaku canon.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Taking bets. Which 90's Shonen Jump series will be the next to try and resurrect it's franchise with movies?

Well, Yu Yu Hakusho will be hitting its 25 year mark late next year...
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I kept reading "4K Media" as "4Kids Media," and I was shocked, thinking that 4Kids Entertainment was back. Then I was relieved to see I was wrong.

4Kids never really went away, they're now known as 4Licensing Corporation, they've used that name since they emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Taking bets. Which 90's Shonen Jump series will be the next to try and resurrect it's franchise with movies?

Well, Yu Yu Hakusho will be hitting its 25 year mark late next year...

well Togashi already ruined yyh by giving up on it
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow, this brings back a lot of nostologia. I hope they stick with the old classic methods of dueling like fusion, ritual, and tribute rather than the Synchro, XYZ, Pendulum, etc.

Shame this will be quite a wait since it'll be in 2016.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get the Dub version first, as some sort of exclusivity deal or something. I don't think the US teaser site would be hyping up a film that's coming out in 2016 this soon, so maybe Japan get it last like Pyramid of Light?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Taking bets

Which 90's Shonen Jump series will be the next to try and resurrect it's franchise with movies?

It probably won't be next, but I imagine it Slam Dunk will be revived soon.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
4Kids never really went away, they're now known as 4Licensing Corporation, they've used that name since they emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Oh, I thought that it went into bankruptcy, failed to find a buyer (or didn't attempt to find one), then went out of business. Everyone seemed to behave like they saw the end of it anyway.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
If this is the same length and quality as pyramid of light then I am on board!! That movie was awesome, the 3D film was too short and meh overall.

I also wanted to own all the original yugioh, hopefully this re-master comes to BD (I'll import it immediately cause we're not getting the re-master in the west)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... so will it just focus on the original characters or tie into the new series? Ahh, the suspense is killing me. I want to see this. I take it Studio Gallop's gonna be animating this.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
WolfWood37 wrote:
IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came here for this Laughing
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Screw the rules, I have movies!
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If I do not care about the game (or any card game whatsoever, even Card Captor Sakura), should I watch those gazillion Yu-Gi-Oh anime series, does it worth it as standalone entertainment?

How good it is comparing to other shonen shows like One Piece or Naruto or Hunter X Hunter?

The issue is that I love shonen shows, but I do not like dumb series or simplistic monster/fight-of-the-week shows. I want some continuous story to happen, not episodic show.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
If I do not care about the game (or any card game whatsoever, even Card Captor Sakura), should I watch those gazillion Yu-Gi-Oh anime series, does it worth it as standalone entertainment?

The franchise attracts plenty of fans who do not play the card game. I have not played the card game in over 10 years but I still watch the anime because I enjoy the concept and characters of the series.

Quote:
How good it is comparing to other shonen shows like One Piece or Naruto or Hunter X Hunter?

I would say they're pretty similar. Perhaps more concise and constant in the writing department since Yu-Gi-Oh series are written with a set plot in mind and do not go on for decades like longer running shounen. Yu-Gi-Oh series generally last 140 episodes before they end and a new one starts up. You'll at least know each series has an ending when you watch it.

Quote:
The issue is that I love shonen shows, but I do not like dumb series or simplistic monster/fight-of-the-week shows. I want some continuous story to happen, not episodic show.

It depends what you mean by "dumb"? Yu-Gi-Oh can be pretty silly at times, but they also have a lot of serious and dark themes to them as well, especially towards the end of the series. Yu-Gi-Oh is a franchise where one episode can be about banning miniskirts at school to a guy wanting to murderer another guy for assaulting and hospitalizing his sister. If that kind of mood whiplash is a turn off, Yu-Gi-Oh might not be for you. It's a pretty varied franchise.

There's a few monster of the week episodes, generally in the beginning of the series where it's introducing all the characters and plot points, but then the plot picks up and those go away and it's a continuing plot.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
The very beginning of Yu-Gi-Oh! also had almost nothing to do with the card games. That it would focus on Duel Monsters later on was accidental. Rather, the first 2 years of the manga or so, and the first season, was about Yami Yugi laying deathtraps or playing harmful variants of everyday games (like a variation of pick-up-sticks with a bottle of chloroform at the top). Think of it like Saw, only Jigsaw is the hero.

Kaiba was just another opponent, and the card game just another gimmick, but that story became ridiculously popular that it became the whole remainder of the series.

If you can't stand the cards, there is a story arc near the end of the original series about what happened in ancient Egypt and its pharaoh that kickstarted the whole premise. There is no card-dueling, as it hadn't yet existed. It is personally my favorite arc in the original series, though it dragged on for a bit. (Not any more than One Piece's Enies Lobby arc or Bleach's battle with Aizen though.)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal, leafy sea dragon:

Thanks for your explanations; I will definitely give it a try.

One more question, if I may: there is also another huge animation series, called Beyblade. How does it compare to this YGO project? Is it better or worse?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3