• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal ANNCast: Brotherhood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The English dub... well, I just don't particularly like Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric. Caitlin Glass is shrill as Winry, Chris Patton drops the ball as Greed (fortunately Troy Baker takes over and excels), and Wendy Powell's Envy is frankly one of the worst performances in an English dub I've ever heard in my life. I can't even imagine what her approach for the character is, but it's all wrong. There are plenty of good performances, as I mentioned, Troy Baker, but also Todd Haberkorn as Ling, Stephanie Young as Olivier Mira Armstrong, Chris Sabat as Alex Louis Armstrong, Christine Auten as Izumi Curtis, Kent Williams as Father, and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Riza Hawkeye. But there's so little to work with otherwise. A lot of VAs are just phoning it in and a few are just plain terrible actors. Funimation has plenty of good VAs and some great, solid English dubs, but I don't understand the attention this dub gets. It's vastly overrated.

Heck, from the various posts I've read you write when Vic gets, it seems like you have a thing against Vic overall.

With the hardships that the characters go through, I find that it makes sense that Troy Baker was in this show since he also played another character that endured hardships: Shippuden's Yahiko/Pein (one of my fave anime/manga antagonists.

An interesting thing about the FMA manga preview is that the manga ended literally just a few weeks before the last FMA:B TV epi. With this (and the fact that it takes months to create 1 epi.), I wouldn't be surprised if Arakawa-sensei told Bones about the ending that she had planned and they animated it. With this, it could seem coincidental the manga ended just a few weeks before the last Brotherhood epi.

[/quote]
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Here's how I see it. The boys in FMB remain pure. They remain boys, they don't kill anyone throughout the story. Go back and can count the death toll. The revolution is far from bloodless, but Ed and Al have lily-white hands. FMA is different. In that show, the kids have to become adults, and they have to kill, to take lives. That's why the Greed fight/death scene was so pivotal -- Greed picks a fight knowing he will lose, knowing he will die, all in order to teach Ed how to kill, so Ed can take revenge for him.

FMA is more cynical and dark, while FMB is more idealistic and light. And so which one is 'better' really depends on your preference. I prefer cynical stories, so I like FMA, but if some were to prefer FMB because it matches their idealism, then I can't argue with that. Both are excellent, well crafted presentations.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
When Brotherhood first came out, I honestly resented its existence since it came out so close to the first series, and the first one is my all-time favorite. Having it come out so soon after made it seem like FMA was being brushed aside. Now, I really like Brotherhood since I fully acknowledge that both shows do certain things better than the other. The FMA still has the edge in my book since it is my personal favorite, but Brotherhood is right up there, and I kind of include them under the same umbrella at this point.

The only thing I tend to dislike like about Brotherhood has less to do with the shows and more to do with the attitude that some people have that it is "better" because it follows the manga while completely ignoring or being ignorant of the fact that Arakawa told Bones to take it in their own direction.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say the first FMA is "cynical," per se. Compared to FMAB, sure, but FMA still ends on a pretty hopeful note for most of the heroic characters. They didn't get entirely what they wanted, but they got what they needed (cue Rolling Stones here...) and usually some of what they wanted, too. Ed didn't get the "selfish" aspect of his desires, wanting to be with Al, but he did get the selfless one, restoring his body. Same with Mustang, who lost his chance to be Führer but in doing so, saved his country far more than he would have if he'd just gone for a traditional power-grab. It plods through a lot of dark muck to get there but the characters come out into the light at the end. So it's no more cynical than Madoka Magica is, which I would also count as an ultimately "optimistic/hopeful" show (and where I sometimes wonder if the people saying it's "cynical" actually watched that final episode).

But then, I also think I tend to gauge what "optimism" vs. "cynicism" are differently than a lot of fans. For me it's less about particular characters' fates, and more about the show's themes' broader implications for humanity. Both FMA and Madoka have pretty hopeful conclusions for people struggling against oppression and adversity. FMA is actually more resonant to me than FMAB because it's based more on the ambiguous moral struggles people actually have, than in FMAB where it's reduced to a black-and-white good vs. evil where the evil is from outside humanity.

On the other hand, Cowboy Bebop is a show where really only one of the main characters ends up in a bad place (and I think people could argue he "found peace" in his death or whatever) and yet it's quite cynical with what it says about people being able to escape their pointless fixations.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I never watch the 2003 series, nor do I plan to, but fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood is one of my favorite anime series.

I still need to buy it on DVD, as well as pick up the manga to read.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
It always made zero sense to me why Ed and Al's mother got the Sloth moniker. Made absolutely no sense and what could you infer to that? That she was a terrible lazy mother? Bad characterization and choice.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either, but last I checked, odd name choices don't equate to bad characterization.

Nocturne123 wrote:
I don't really agree with Hope's characterization of the Homunculi in Brotherhood though. I believe she said in the recording that they were embodiment of a bunch of souls of people who had those vices and created into their own being, which isn't correct. They were extensions of Father himself, which in turn characterizes the homunculi differently. They share the same motivation of Father for the most part, baring Greed, which makes sense given they are extensions of him, thus adding more depth to the Homunculus character rather than each individual homunculus themselves

Both you and Hope were correct. The Homunculi are the embodiments of the sinful souls that came from Father after he absorbed the souls of the people of Xerxes. So it's not just one or the other. Remember, Father on his own is just tiny ball cyclops incapable of living outside of a flask, much less branching off seven offspring.

Last edited by gedata on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
In terms of dubs vs. subs, I recognize that they're both good and I SHOULD check out the japanese versions at some point, but... I CAN'T. I'm much too attached to the english versions of both shows to do that, so it's probably never gonna happen Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

On which show I prefer... maybe the 2003 show? I agree with Hope and Zac on why they prefer that show, but I also like that Brotherhood is more of an adventure story and the animation's much better. AND Olivier Armstrong Wink
I see the 2003 show as more Character-Driven and Brotherhood as more Story-Driven, and I guess I slightly prefer the Character-Driven narrative Neutral
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But he did end up growing on me through his interactions with Greed. He just isn't one of my favorite characters, and I resent that you can't find any good original Greed action figures because the closest they have is Ling-Greed. Greedling. Whatever.

If there's one thing I quite disliked about Mangahood is how blunt they were the direction Greed's character took with "I VALUE MY FRIENDS" cheese. It was at that point I realized how much I prefer his portrayal in the 03 anime as a straight anti-hero right till the end, however soon that end came. He managed to go out on his own terms whilst sticking it to Dante and the rest of the Homunculi in a way I can't help but respect.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Nocturne123 wrote:
It always made zero sense to me why Ed and Al's mother got the Sloth moniker. Made absolutely no sense and what could you infer to that? That she was a terrible lazy mother? Bad characterization and choice.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either, but last I checked, odd name choices don't equate to bad characterization.

I always figured that when the homunculus's "sin" did mean anything in 03, it was meant to reflect more on the alchemist who created them than on the dead person they were trying to resurrect. Lust was created because Scar's brother was trying to resurrect his lover, and this is reflected in terms of, um, which body part he lost to the Gate (re-watch the scene where he emerges from having transmuted her). So my interpretation with Sloth was that the Gate "thought" Ed and Al created her because they wanted to continue to rely on their mom rather than take the responsibility to find a way forward for themselves, and it's reflected in them losing what allowed them to keep moving (Ed's limbs and Al's body). It's a bit of a stretch, but it's the closest one out of all the deadly sins for what they did. There's definitely a feeling of helplessness they have after their mother dies, and falling back on the one thing they do know how to do -- alchemy -- as the only possible solution.

Also, sloth as a sin is often associated with grief and depression in traditional understandings of it. (And it make sense, since one of the major symptoms of depression is it making you lose interest in or motivation for doing stuff, to the point where getting out of bed feels like an effort.)

Either way, I think it fit Sloth the character well because her main struggle was a refusal to do the "mental labor" of reconciling her memories of Trisha's life with the person she wants to be now. Instead, she just wants to destroy that former baggage by killing Ed and Al. On a more literal level, you see a lot of moments where she extends her watery arm to fight someone alone while the rest of her stays sitting at her desk, so she's kind of a lazy character anyway.

I've spent a lot of time overthinking this show, I know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It does when that characters entire being is essentially tied to their name.

Quote:
Both you and Hope were correct. The Homunculi are the embodiments of the sinful souls that came from Father after he absorbed the souls of the people of Xerxes. So it's not just one or the other. Remember, Father on his own is just tiny ball cyclops incapable of living outside of a flask, much less branching off seven offspring.

Ah ok, I can buy that. I just always saw them more as an extension of he himself. But that makes sense.

Quote:
I always figured that when the homunculus's "sin" did mean anything in 03, it was meant to reflect more on the alchemist who created them than on the dead person they were trying to resurrect. Lust was created because Scar's brother was trying to resurrect his lover, and this is reflected in terms of, um, which body part he lost to the Gate (re-watch the scene where he emerges from having transmuted her). So my interpretation with Sloth was that the Gate "thought" Ed and Al created her because they wanted to continue to rely on their mom rather than take the responsibility to find a way forward for themselves, and it's reflected in them losing what allowed them to keep moving (Ed's limbs and Al's body). It's a bit of a stretch, but it's the closest one out of all the deadly sins for what they did. There's definitely a feeling of helplessness they have after their mother dies, and falling back on the one thing they do know how to do -- alchemy -- as the only possible solution.

Also, sloth as a sin is often associated with grief and depression in traditional understandings of it. (And it make sense, since one of the major symptoms of depression is it making you lose interest in or motivation for doing stuff, to the point where getting out of bed feels like an effort.)

Either way, I think it fit Sloth the character well because her main struggle was a refusal to do the "mental labor" of reconciling her memories of Trisha's life with the person she wants to be now. Instead, she just wants to destroy that former baggage by killing Ed and Al. On a more literal level, you see a lot of moments where she extends her watery arm to fight someone alone while the rest of her stays sitting at her desk, so she's kind of a lazy character anyway.

I've spent a lot of time overthinking this show, I know.

I can see what you're saying and I agree it's a fairly large stretch, but I couldn't see them using that explanation for the character. It wasn't like Ed and Al were just sitting there doing nothing with their lives after their mother died. They had people helping take care of them and they continued to learn alchemy so I wouldn't say that's very slothful. If anything they wanted her back due to love and missing her, which you tied to grief, but as said, it wasn't like they were just laying around refusing to do anything.

I think that was just a power they gave her because there are other times where she does move entirely. I just feel it was a poor choice and they wanted them to confront their mother in some way in the series, just it was done lazily (=D)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
But he did end up growing on me through his interactions with Greed. He just isn't one of my favorite characters, and I resent that you can't find any good original Greed action figures because the closest they have is Ling-Greed. Greedling. Whatever.

If there's one thing I quite disliked about Mangahood is how blunt they were the direction Greed's character took with "I VALUE MY FRIENDS" cheese. It was at that point I realized how much I prefer his portrayal in the 03 anime as a straight anti-hero right till the end, however soon that end came. He managed to go out on his own terms whilst sticking it to Dante and the rest of the Homunculi in a way I can't help but respect.

What you just described is why I took that character as my screen name. The sheer amount of respect I had for Greed sticking to what he is at that point jumped him from "interesting" to "favorite" immediately. Also, I will agree that Brotherhood's take on him was a bit much. It is a fine line between why Greed collected a group of followers, but I think the more cynical tone of the first show made it clear that friends/allies were just more things for him to acquire.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
I should clarify: I thought the stuff about Sloth's name being tied to how she was created might be a stretch. I don't think the thing about it tying into her character development is, though. FMA in every version is pretty strongly concerned with characters coming to terms with their pasts, reconciling it with their present person and trying to move forward. Sloth's development ties right into that, with how it's the easier, but wrong route to just pretend the past doesn't happen. It's also contrasted with her closest foil on the show, Lust (who uses her past as an opening to find a way forward for her present character, instead of just accepting Dante's role for her).

So I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional. I think the point is that FMA 03 didn't always tie the homunculi's names into their characters in the same way, when it did in the first place. It applied them on on a case-by-case basis, with whichever worked best for that particular homunculus's arc. Which is fine for me, since I thought it made them more interesting characters. (On that note, I've found that that's something most of the fans don't really dispute, even those who prefer Brotherhood. So I think it's weird this is being used as evidence of Hope's supposed "nostalgia goggles," as though having a strong personal attachment to a piece of media that affects your critical take on it is a bad thing.)

But I can see why people who are into world-building and rules and want the sort of answer that makes for a more satisfying example of that, would prefer the Brotherhood homunculi. I mean that sincerely; I liked that the conclusion of this podcast was that each FMA is good in different ways and it all comes down to how you prefer to engage with your media. That's always what I thought, and the reason I believe that, as much fun as it is to compare the two versions, the "which is better" argument is ultimately futile.

I tend to be a "character/themes" person rather than a "plot/worldbuilding" person, though, so it's 03 all the way for me.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
You know, I think Zac's approach to the "Which is better?" question is the best way to look at it. What you're looking for will influence your own answer to that question. Each one does certain things better than the other, and the tones are so very different that I think it is impossible to give anything close to an answer to that question.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
I get people liking character driven story in FMA, however I don't think we're really being fair to FMB which really isn't doing too badly in the character department either. Both are really good, its just the 2003 anime decidedly hones in on character as the something paramount.

That being said, I think what puts FMB on top for me is that to be better, you have to take everything as a whole, and honestly the weird twist at the end, strange side plots that go nowhere (or when you really think about them don't make a ton of sense), FMA has it's fair share of focusing too much on trying to SAY SOMETHING and not actually entertain.

Not that you can't be entertained, people obviously really enjoy the 2003 anime, it's just that there are moments in FMA where I remember even the first time I watched it I asked a lot of "Why?" questions that can really take you out of the story. Why does the one homunculus have the ability to use alchemy and the others can't (I mean, I know why, but why does that particular homunculus birth get the limbs)? Why is Rose popping back up into the story now - was the connection really that deep? How do Hohenheim and Dante get to the other side in the first place, and if you really think about it, are we supposed to take seriously that they were the only ones in the whole history of OUR world to make it? A witch hunt, really? Why is it that the actual remains still...remain around to conveniently take out the homunculus?

A lot of FMA seems very convoluted to the point where you just have to roll with it. Because you love the characters by that time so much, you tend to ignore the rather jarring revelation later on that suddenly we find ourselves in Europe. The physics are vaguely explained and they pull the origins story for Dante right out of thin air that really throws the entire premise for the show's world into whack. It's very surreal and when I first watched the show I honestly thought it was like someone else wrote the second half of the series (and I had never read the manga, so I didn't know). Now it's very clear to me that the beginning of the 2003 anime was based off a very clear vision by the manga author and that the anime writers just didn't have that same vision.

If you examine it, the 2003 anime tries to meld the two and actually does a decent enough job, but there is no denying that in a plot sense it falls short of FMB which is very straightforward in the story it's trying to tell...and it all fits together because indeed it was one vision.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I get people liking character driven story in FMA, however I don't think we're really being fair to FMB which really isn't doing too badly in the character department either. Both are really good, its just the 2003 anime decidedly hones in on character as the something paramount.

That being said, I think what puts FMB on top for me is that to be better, you have to take everything as a whole, and honestly the weird twist at the end, strange side plots that go nowhere (or when you really think about them don't make a ton of sense), FMA has it's fair share of focusing too much on trying to SAY SOMETHING and not actually entertain.

Not that you can't be entertained, people obviously really enjoy the 2003 anime, it's just that there are moments in FMA where I remember even the first time I watched it I asked a lot of "Why?" questions that can really take you out of the story. Why does the one homunculus have the ability to use alchemy and the others can't (I mean, I know why, but why does that particular homunculus birth get the limbs)? Why is Rose popping back up into the story now - was the connection really that deep? How do Hohenheim and Dante get to the other side in the first place, and if you really think about it, are we supposed to take seriously that they were the only ones in the whole history of OUR world to make it? A witch hunt, really? Why is it that the actual remains still...remain around to conveniently take out the homunculus?

A lot of FMA seems very convoluted to the point where you just have to roll with it. Because you love the characters by that time so much, you tend to ignore the rather jarring revelation later on that suddenly we find ourselves in Europe. The physics are vaguely explained and they pull the origins story for Dante right out of thin air that really throws the entire premise for the show's world into whack. It's very surreal and when I first watched the show I honestly thought it was like someone else wrote the second half of the series (and I had never read the manga, so I didn't know). Now it's very clear to me that the beginning of the 2003 anime was based off a very clear vision by the manga author and that the anime writers just didn't have that same vision.

If you examine it, the 2003 anime tries to meld the two and actually does a decent enough job, but there is no denying that in a plot sense it falls short of FMB which is very straightforward in the story it's trying to tell...and it all fits together because indeed it was one vision.

I feel the same way. The 2003 version's great and one of my top 10, but I vastly prefer Brotherhood because of how well it comes together compared to the 2003 anime. For me, a lot of the issues with the 2003 FMA started when Dante revealed herself as the villain, the biggest being the whole alternate world thing. It was introduced too late in the game and just felt out of place compared to everything else. There's also the issue with the scene where Dante somehow made Gluttony's ouroboros tattoo disappear and that somehow made him lose all his intelligence. I know it's a bit of a nitpick, but it makes no sense and was never explained.

With Brotherhood, everything felt like it came together at the end: every plot point was resolved, every character had a purpose, everything just worked. I can understand why people like the original since it's themes were stronger (although I still think Brotherhood had fairly strong themes), but I'll always prefer Brotherhood for how good the climax/ending was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8