• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Might Not Know About Hideaki Anno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Xardie wrote:
This oft. repeated tale is only half-true. Anno did NOT bail from the project in response to Tsuda's grievances. The creative differences forced Anno to scrap his plans for original ending of the anime and all other original material sans ep 25 so he essentially went Alan Smithee on latter half/third of the series. He still directed the remainder of the show, something that should be quite obvious from extremely Annoesque stylistic elements and choices made right untill the very end of the series. Watch the opening scene of final episode utilizing weird and very Annoesque black and white photography montage while theme from Space Battleship Yamato plays. That is Anno's playbook, not Tsurumaki's.

(...)

As for Kare Kano ending inconclusively (sort of) that is Tsuda's fault too. His hands were tied and GAINAX had to follow the manga chapters as far as they could with the episode count they had.

Now this makes a lot more sense than Anno leaving the show and then coming back just to co-write and supervise the last episode, which doesn't even end conclusively. Other than the Imaishi paper cutout episode, I didn't really notice any major directing style changes until the end of the series.

If it's true that Tsuda nixed Anno's idea to give the show an original ending, then that explains while the show just keeps slavishly following the manga (except for the Tatsuo Sato-scripted episode 25, which is an original story) until it simply runs out of episodes, without even wrapping up the school play arc. What frustrates me, though, is that the show could have gotten to the end of that arc if it didn't waste so many episodes on recaps due to scheduling problems.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Now that I think about it, Anno's been completely incapable of properly completing a TV anime. Three strikes.

Nadia has an acclaimed ending (with no room for sequels) and i love CONGRATULATIONS.
Lost did nearly the same thing. Nice. It´s actually the "year of the future" 2015 now. We made it!
Congratulations? Let´s see if 4 movie will save that boat as 3,33 was no bueno.
Yes he is crazy good as an animator that is true but EoE had suicide notes and whatnot hidden in frames so he did flip the finger big time. He even mentioned that the Shinji X Rei scenes at the end were deliberately creepy as he was disgusted how people wanted the show to have real incest.
EVA was a borderline satire and people still don´t get it but then again the whole thing did sell out with harem carp manga, a N64 games and female underwear and...
The Kare Kano´s endings section is just Confused. EVA was NOTHING in comparison. Read the manga as i did. Teased Nausicaä (the manga has no real ending - hehe) sequel when?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Gee, I wonder who will win in this Magazine voting. I honestly have no idea. Which magazine could possibly be the winner? Rolling Eyes
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
it actually has a somewhat positive ending, if a bit more honest and less overtly happy than the "CONGRATULATIONS" ending of the TV show.

I mean, I guess it's up to interpretation but spoiler[he wipes out all of humanity, turning them into the primordial soup, and leaves Shinji and Asuka as the only survivors. The closing dialogue is "I feel sick."]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Anno is 1 interesting fellow. I'd love to know what was going on his head during the EVA TV days.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I mean, I guess it's up to interpretation but spoiler[he wipes out all of humanity, turning them into the primordial soup, and leaves Shinji and Asuka as the only survivors. The closing dialogue is "I feel sick."]

If you see this as an allegory, Shinji just decided not to commit a suicide (or at least to stop running away from life's hardships if you go for a less dramatic interpretation). That choice doesn't mean that his life is suddenly better - the world (his world) is still in ashes, but he has decided to fight on. Concerning the last sequence with "kimochi warui", I've always seen that as a reaffirmation of the Hedgehog's dilemma.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard a lot about Hideaki Anno before. This guy sounds like a real eccentric. There are a number of Japanese animation directors that I would hope would do some American work. I'm not sure that I'd want Anno to work on any American cartoons. He'd probably make it weird,dark,and angsty.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It's always entertaining to hear fun facts about Anno. It's pretty clear from the start that Anno was going to be one of those eccentric artist types. I think only the tokusatsu factoid was new for me. I know he's a huge Ultraman fan, but it sounds like he likes all tokusatsu stuff.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Now that I think about it, Anno's been completely incapable of properly completing a TV anime. Three strikes.

Since when is there a right and wrong way to tell a story? Anno has never been a conventional storyteller and Evangelion has never been a conventional story. And I doubt Eva 4.0 will have a conventional ending either (of course I could be wrong).

octopodpie wrote:
I mean, I guess it's up to interpretation but spoiler[[he wipes out all of humanity, turning them into the primordial soup, and leaves Shinji and Asuka as the only survivors. The closing dialogue is "I feel sick."]]

As a couple people already mentioned, most Eva fans see the ending of EoE as a "happy" ending, albeit a very twisted one. It's definitely more explicit in the TV ending, though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, if you've seen the film's ending, it thoroughly flips off anyone hoping for a positive conclusion to the show.
You ain't seen nothing yet. Laughing
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

If you see this as an allegory, Shinji just decided not to commit a suicide (or at least to stop running away from life's hardships if you go for a less dramatic interpretation). That choice doesn't mean that his life is suddenly better - the world (his world) is still in ashes, but he has decided to fight on. Concerning the last sequence with "kimochi warui", I've always seen that as a reaffirmation of the Hedgehog's dilemma.

I think that's valid, but I think it's also important to note that he spoiler[tries to kill Asuka and leave himself as the only person left.] Given as this was during a period when Anno was actively upset at otaku culture (some might say rightfully so, he's since come back around) I think the interpretation that "I'm not going to kill myself [i.e. Anno succumbing to his depression] but seriously, all you people suck" matches his head space.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Out of college and needing cash, Anno responded to a newspaper ad for an animator position at Studio Ghibli.

From what I've read elsewhere, Studio Ghibli hadn't been founded yet when Nausicaä was made.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (movie):
anime#180

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Blu-Ray:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind/blu-ray/.81151

Studio Ghibli:
company#60
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I've read that the death threat that flashes on-screen in EoE was in response not to the TV ending, but to Death and Rebirth.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
it actually has a somewhat positive ending, if a bit more honest and less overtly happy than the "CONGRATULATIONS" ending of the TV show.

Sigh.

{*sigh* Are you really trying to get into a pissing match with an ANN editor? Just don't. ~nbahn}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You can't really blame Nadia's problems on him, though.

What happened with Nadia? I didn't know he was involved and I'm interested since I'm currently watching it.

Cool list though! I didn't know anything about him so this was interesting. I didn't know Evangelion was connected to his depression though so that makes me see things differently with the anime.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. He owns an absurd amount of expensive tokusatsu merch

>>Picture is Anno with Gundam arms

What a strange and random choice.

Googling "Hideaki Anno Tokusatsu" gives me this straight away.

And if you just wanted something from Insufficient Direction there is him with the Kamen Rider 555 belt, but I guess you wanted to use him with the foam rubber Z'Gok hulk hands for some reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4