• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Luci Christian Joins Super Sonico English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
one clip with bad, wooden voice acting from the lead character with an awkward script from a company that is already known for making shitty dubs.

... also i don't know what you're trying to imply with the LOL BIG SHOES AM I RIGHT thing because i never said the original was a shining beacon of scripting or voice acting, only that this dub sounds shit so far and i will be very surprised if it turns out anything other than shit.

but y'know, please continue to put words into my mouth if it makes your day, buckaroo

Nah, my day's already been made. Cool
But you know what I'll do instead? Wait until I've heard MORE of it before rejecting it! Twisted Evil
takasu95

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
They dub this but not Oregairu/My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu?????
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
one clip with bad, wooden voice acting from the lead character with an awkward script from a company that is already known for making shitty dubs.

From a company that you assume makes shitty dubs. Seriously, whats wooden? whats bad with the delivery? The script is bad with just 1 liberty? Where people Sentai to somehow to make an already well balanced scripts even more off balance? And when they do, they still get criticism?

Quote:
and i will be very surprised if it turns out anything other than shit.

Sounds like the opposite of my experience with Steins;Gate, trailer with voice action was great, until I saw the final product. Non japan sci-fi/reference humor and making likably flawed characters into highschool book swinging not-so-nice-people all thanks to a dumb director with a trashy script to make them into not-so-nice-people does not make a good dub.

Quote:
but y'know, please continue to put words into my mouth if it makes your day, buckaroo

The show is trash, and a sometimes a trashy dub can be arranged. I compared Nigri to sounding like 2 of my least favorite female actors amongst an already long list with actresses like Kira Buckland, Erica Mendez, even Brina Palencia.

[Edit]: removed belligerence. Errinundra.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Even IF Sentai made this a perfect dub, that wouldn't change their history of being a terrible studio at all.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
From a company that YOU and other sheep love to assume that makes shitty dubs. Seriously, whats wooden? whats bad with the delivery? The script is bad with just 1 liberty? Where dumb trolls keep begging for Sentai to somehow to make an already well balanced scripts even more off balance? And when they do, they still get criticism? Sonico is a friggen ditz for crying out loud, and her tone fits that.

I'm saying the script sounds bad because the dialogue sounds awkward and they turned a very easily translatable joke that already used English loanwords and wordplay (not gonna go look at the exact line, but it's a play on 'climax') into... whatever the BOW CHIKKA WOW thing is supposed to be.

I'm also basing it on my past experience with Sentai's scripts in that they're just... weird. Prime example being the Persona 4 Animation dub, but that's far from the only example.

As for what's "wooden", Jessica is clearly raising the pitch of her voice to try and suit Sonico but she seems to be having trouble making it sound natural. As a result, it's making what she says sound kind of... fake, I guess? And because of that, it makes her delivery sound wooden.

It stands out particularly badly because Suzu is pretty good and I'm comparing it to Jessica's previous performance as Cinder in RWBY, where she knocked it out of the damn park like an old industry pro.

bs3311 wrote:
Just as you continue to be an idiot against a person who probably has the same opinion as you, but is looking at it through a different angle. The show is trash, and a sometimes a trashy dub can be arranged. I compared Nigri to sounding like 2 of my least favorite female actors amongst an already long list with actresses like Kira Buckland, Erica Mendez, even Brina Palencia.

"i think this dub is going to be shit lmao" =/= "I'm going to wait before I decide what I think of this dub".

ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Even IF Sentai made this a perfect dub, that wouldn't change their history of being a terrible studio at all.

agreed 100%

[Edit]: ditto. Errinundra.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:

Central Park Media, Funimation an Viz already beat it to the punch in the past. Those trophies are stuck on their shelves. Wink

yurigasaki wrote:
I'm saying the script sounds bad because the dialogue sounds awkward and they turned a very easily translatable joke that already used English loanwords and wordplay (not gonna go look at the exact line, but it's a play on 'climax') into... whatever the BOW CHIKKA WOW thing is supposed to be.

Natural is what natural does. rellies on the medium. What would that joke acomplish for her character if it was properly translated or copy paste form the original that people seem to always complain about? nothing.

Quote:
I'm also basing it on my past experience with Sentai's scripts in that they're just... weird. Prime example being the Persona 4 Animation dub, but that's far from the only example.

You need a better example, Persona 4 was down out of Texas. Not in their control besides license rights.

Quote:
Jessica is clearly raising the pitch of her voice to try and suit Sonico but she seems to be having trouble making it sound natural. As a result, it's making what she says sound kind of... fake, I guess? And because of that, it makes her delivery sound wooden.

People assumed she would'nt, and to fit her character. She had to raise her pitch. No anime can sound natural to what your comparing, live action, novels, even american cartoons. They can only immitate. And her I thought all moe chicks and lolitas sound fake in both japanese or english dubs......Oh wait!

Wooden is Agent Aiko or Maria the Virgin Witch with script and delivery having to either use a terrible director or a poorly executed shaksperean style of script writing that would make me wanna watch RomeoXJuliet.

endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Hm... I usually prefer dubs, and I've only seen 1 episode of this show, but that was pretty bad.
DjAlmostFive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Huh, not bad.

Well, I'm one of the people that actually liked Super Sonico, plus I prefer dubs, so I'll probably like this.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Sounds good and a bit from Jessica also wow , i already pre order dvd can't wait to watch it Again
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
One of the typical things us fans might do: We might listen to select dub clips and conclude it's bad. We should wait until it comes out to decide on how well it is.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Central Park Media, Funimation an Viz already beat it to the punch in the past. Those trophies are stuck on their shelves. Wink

what is this even supposed to mean

Neither of us sad Sentai is 'the worst' company, we said it's a 'bad' company. So... what's the point in bringing up random other dubbing companies (that can at least turn out better quality productions than Sentai) and going BUT THESE ARE BAD TOO!

So? So what if they are? Other companies being 'bad' doesn't make Sentai any less so. Hell, like I said, at least they can turn out better quality products and they're a hell of a lot less skeevy than Sentai is besides that.

bs3311 wrote:
Natural is what natural does. rellies on the medium. What would that joke acomplish for her character if it was properly translated or copy paste form the original that people seem to always complain about? nothing.

Actually, it accomplishes quite a lot!

I went and looked up the actual line for that scene, just to double check I was thinking of the right scene and here's the Crunchyroll subbed line with [brackets] from me to expand on the context of the joke:

"[...] And then for the climax [of the show, when the dress melts], we'll have our audience climax, too!"

Now obviously, this line doesn't flow quite as well in English, and the best way to translate it and keep the original punch of the joke is probably "Once the show climaxes, so will the audience!".

It establishes Suzu as the kind of girl who likes dirty jokes and wordplay and it shows she's comfortable enough with herself and her friends to openly make such explicit jokes, which when you consider how ultra-polite Japanese society is, it's a big deal.

Trust me. There's a big different between nudgewink veiled innuendo and IT'S GONNA BE SO HOT THE AUDIENCE ARE GONNA CUM IN THEIR PANTS

But here, let me put the ball back in your court; even if you think keeping this joke accomplishes nothing... what does changing it accomplish?

It's one thing to change a joke that relies heavily on Japanese wordplay or cultural references that Westerners won't get - but a joke that is basically already English wordplay?

Like, I don't know if it came across in my transcription from Crunchyroll, but Suzu uses the English word 'climax' here, so, as I've said, this joke is so easy to translate into English it's laughable.

Changing a legitimately funny, dirty joke into awkward veiled innuendo with unneeded English colloquiums shoved in - seriously. Tell me what that accomplishes that just using the original joke wouldn't.

Quote:
You need a better example, Persona 4 was down out of Texas. Not in their control besides license rights.

Sentai had the Persona 4 Animation license. Regardless of 'where' it was, the fact is that Sentai hands dubbed this show, Sentai slapped their name all over it, and therefore it's a Sentai work and Sentai should be held responsible for the end product.

also lmao I like how you assume my choice not to go off for sixty pages (because trust me I could) about the issues in the Persona 4 Animation dub is because I just ~don't understand~. Do not try me on this. Seriously.

I'm not going to go into mad details because I'm sure everyone casually scrolling this topic would prefer to be spared from the textwall I would no doubt spew, so I'll just hit on a few things that really stand out to me;

- Careless mistakes that make it clear there was very little editing work on the script (for example; Dojima saying he and Nanako were picking Yu up from 'the airport' when we literally just watched him step off a train into the train station)
- Lines that completely destroy any sense of tension in serious scenes ('Holy hard nipples', anyone?)
- Lines that are outright OOC for the characters in question (Kanji saying Naoto "sticks out like a whore in church")
- Related to the above, tons of unneeded cussing and dialogue meant to sound EDGY, which completely disregard the tone both of the original script and the already present localization.

I could go on more about the controversy that bit Sentai in the ass when it came to the casting, or issues with the voice work, and plenty of other things - but we were talking about the script, so let's stick with that.

It's not even as though the P4A dub is the only bad apple. The Mawaru Penguindrum dub is similarly bad, even without the awkward casting - it suffers from similar issues of stilted dialogue and strange lines that ruin the tension of otherwise massively serious scenes ("Facts, my butt!" said by an ACTUAL DOCTOR after a dead girl just came back to life in his hospital REALLY SENTAI)

I'm far from the only person I've heard raising these exact same complaints - enjoy Sentai Filmworks as much as you like, but you can't pretend their products are high quality when they're not, especially compared to their competitors in the current industry.

Quote:
People assumed she would'nt, and to fit her character. She had to raise her pitch. No anime can sound natural to what your comparing, live action, novels, even american cartoons. They can only immitate. And her I thought all moe chicks and lolitas sound fake in both japanese or english dubs......Oh wait!

I'm not sure what you're trying to claim I'm 'comparing it to' because I never made any comparison in my original reply. I simply said that Jessica's voice, at that pitch, sounds extremely false to my ears and so it colours her performance and makes her reading of the dialogue sound awkward.

If you're trying to say that no one can make a high pitched voice sound natural then... well, you're wrong? Very wrong? Granted, you don't encounter people with squeaky moe voices every single day (though they do exist!) but people whose voices have naturally high registers are extremely common.

There are also plenty of voice actors who can drastically alter the pitch of their voices to either end of the scale and make it sound very natural.

Stephanie Sheh, for example, has to actually do this in her role in the Lucky Star dub as Akira - who goes from being a cute, bubbly moe girl to a cynical bitter young woman practically within words. As well as being able to pull off deeper, more matue characters - Tharja, from FE:A for example. She's also good at pulling off general 'cute girl' voices. In fact, her role as Mikan Tsumiki in Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is probably as close as you could get to matching Sonico's original voice in tone and pitch with an English voice actor.

There's also Carrie Keranen, who, off the top of my head, has voiced characters like Mami Tomoe who have high soft voices - and then completely slams it out of the park with Satsuki Kiryuuin who had a booming, powerful voice that works practically as an extension of her presence.

Also, while I'm not exactly a big fan of her voice work in either shows (for various reasons) Monica Rial also has a similar range. She plays Himari in the Penguindrum dub, using a high pitched, sweet voice and switching to something far more mature and harsher for the Princess of the Crystal. And in her role as Ginko in Yurikuma Arashi, she switches to a deeper, harsher, rougher and almost antagonistic voice.

So to laboriously wheel back around to my original point - there are plenty of actors who are able to produced higher pitched voices without them sounding fake or false - in fact, for some of them, that's their natural register!

Hell, out of the actresses I've listed, Monica Rial has already worked with Sentai in the past (the aforementioned Penguindrum dub, for example) and has the range for this kind of role, so there's really no excuse to cast an inexperienced voice actor in the lead role of a show, as a character she is clearly not properly equipped to voice.

You do realize your argument is extremely contradictory, right? You tell me to 'expect little to nothing out of everything' just after scolding me for having rock-bottom expectations for this dub, based on previous exposure to this studio's works?

what are you even trying to say here, bruh

bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Neither of us sad Sentai is 'the worst' company, we said it's a 'bad' company. So... what's the point in bringing up random other dubbing companies (that can at least turn out better quality productions than Sentai) and going BUT THESE ARE BAD TOO!

Was I refering to you? No, was I refering to him? Yes. Read my comment again.

"History." And, "Terrible." Equal the same as, "The worst."

And I said in the past. Honestly, for their Death Notes and FMAB's. They poppped out travesties such as 90's DBZ, Agent Aiko, Buso Renkin, Fruits Basket, Strike Witches, Nura, Kekashi, Naruto, Maria, etc.

Just don't ignore those elephants in the room. Hell, at least I say sentai did stink before 2010. They sky rocketed after that.

Quote:
Hell, like I said, at least they can turn out better quality products and they're a hell of a lot less skeevy than Sentai is besides that.

Yet I find that they make stuff even worse then them. Despite a handful.

Quote:
It establishes Suzu as the kind of girl who likes dirty jokes and wordplay and it shows she's comfortable enough with herself and her friends to openly make such explicit jokes, which when you consider how ultra-polite Japanese society is, it's a big deal.

Yet the show establishes itself as a slice of life with big but miniscule amounts of fanservice. Going any farther with the line would be againts the content of the show. Unless they just give the middle finger and go all out.

"Once the show climaxes, so will the audience!".

So you got any additional dialouge to say that can keep the flow going to make that scene less akward when no aditional audio is being added until the previous scene stops and they cut back to their original scene? I guess not.

Quote:
Changing a legitimately funny, dirty joke into awkward veiled innuendo with unneeded English colloquiums shoved in - seriously. Tell me what that accomplishes that just using the original joke wouldn't.

I said what it would do if the joke stayed the same. Not if it was slightly or all out changed. Climax is a less funny line to say when compared to this. A normal english person would'nt say your desired script change, not even my friends who are non anime fans.

Quote:
Sentai had the Persona 4 Animation license. Regardless of 'where' it was, the fact is that Sentai hands dubbed this show, Sentai slapped their name all over it, and therefore it's a Sentai work and Sentai should be held responsible for the end product.

Seraphim Digital would be responsible for the end product. Not Sentai. They let Bangzoom have control over the dub. So it was'nt done with Sentai's hands. The reason other companies get the flame is because they would have the product be dubbed within their own studio and try to invite the original cast over. At least Sentai gives it over to another studio to work on it entirely on the dub side. Sadly they haven't recently for other titles. But its a reason for different source and artstyles give way to try new things. Bangzoom despite some handfulls follow a certain checklist for some shows after 2008. I do adore there Lucky Star, GL, Lelouch, etc.

Quote:
Persona 4 had CUSSING!!! THEY DESTROY TENSION!

So did the original game being a japanese scooby doo with highschool kids with anime humor, this isn't Persona 3 where it was a healthy balance. You want something to be different from the original material? huh.

Quote:
"Facts, my butt!" said by an ACTUAL DOCTOR after a dead girl just came back to life in his hospital REALLY SENTAI

Which epsiode? on epsiode 6. Besides, was it againts another doctor trying to say that the facts do not support the possability of her being alive? If so, it makes sense. The doctor sounds like a youngster and the doctor beleiving there to be no cure would'nt say facts my but unless he was proven wrong. Besides, your first reaction of a near fatal experience to be prevented would be delusional histeria.

Quote:
I'm far from the only person I've heard raising these exact same complaints - enjoy Sentai Filmworks as much as you like, but you can't pretend their products are high quality when they're not, especially compared to their competitors in the current industry.

More than one person supporting your claims does'nt equal a stronger point. It just mean people coincidently agree with you. A common fallacy that kept society from learning and getting through their skull that the world wasn't flat or in the center of the universe.

Their products are better for there strict but semi flexible scritps, better female VA's, better masters in the past, disc/cover art and now better collectors editions. I am not pretending, they are indeed the better company IMO. Besides, I grew up with Funimation and Viz before jumping to Sentai Filmworks. Your specific companies have'nt made alot of superb products either which I already named a few. I can even criticise some of Sentai's titles. Samurai Girls, Kenshin, Majikoi Samurai Girl, Loups Garous, and now a handful of Sunday without god due to script.

Quote:
The fact that you apparently consider "trolls" interchangeable with "anyone who has an opinion I disagree with" says a great deal, to be honest. Here's a fun factoid for you, all the way from 2010: 'troll' stopped being the go to word for 'people I don't agree with' a long time ago.

When did I say that? No where. Besides, Nigiri already has a recognized following of trolls and actual supporters. And that point has to force me to stop using a word againts people that just use a singular opinion used by many without making a constructed one themselves because?

Quote:
If you're trying to say that no one can make a high pitched voice sound natural then... well, you're wrong? Very wrong?

You can't put a anime character with a live action character and try to make it sound natural, high pitched would be even worse. There dialouge doesn't match and their pitch would'nt fit. The chick on scorpion being in her 30's yet sounding like a kid does'nt help with her character, it actually hinders it. Its natural for anime, not for real life or other forms of medium.

Quote:
Stephanie Sheh

What do you know? An actress that had no experience in voice acting or theater until trying anime. Just like Steve Blum....... And Nigri.

I adore her in Lucky Star though. But Its not natural unless in the concept of anime.

Quote:
Hell, out of the actresses I've listed, Monica Rial has already worked with Sentai in the past (the aforementioned Penguindrum dub, for example) and has the range for this kind of role, so there's really no excuse to cast an inexperienced voice actor in the lead role of a show, as a character she is clearly not properly equipped to voice.

She would'nt work for Sonico since she voices women or kudere lolis. Her own character already matches her voice since she worked in roles with characters that have a thing for snacks while being a ditz for them. They would have to photoshop Sonico's face for her to fit. Someone like Hilary Hagg would do a better job. But Nigri who has a similar experience with Stephanie Sheh? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Quote:
I fail to see how "regardless of your opinion etc etc" is an insult to someone's personal opinion. I'm not going to go into the etymology of the word regardless, as I assume you're a competent person who's capable of googling that for yourself, but I'm...

And I assume you are smart to stop rellying on anyone who supposedly does'nt have the same viewpoints as you to google something in order to somehow have a grasp in your hipster remarks when they overall are still hipster remarks, how bout you actually take some classes of constructed debating? "Regardless." Is the key word in it. Source material has everything to do with the dubs product, thats how Gatchaman and Macross were dubbed by ADV and were perfect. So that already debunks point 1. And you stating that despite ones opinion, he is wrong overall both fact and opinion on what is to be a good dub for its material leaving a headshot in point 2. Saying that overall he must agree by fact in your taste it is a bad dub, and down goes point 3. Your giving Pathos, but nothing else of Logos and Ethos.

People don't try to make their point to sound as fact, they try to make their opinion stronger than anothers opinion with strong points that feel sure and decisive.

Quote:
also lmao I have no idea why y'all are trying to act like I'm claiming I'm some shining beacon of critique on the internet or something like seriously get over yourself

Nope, get over to your local library and read about the wonders of sarcasm Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You tell me to 'expect little to nothing out of everything' just after scolding me for having rock-bottom expectations for this dub, based on previous exposure to this studio's works?

You tell me to look at your entire posts when I already have, and you ignore the entirety of mine? Look whos got holes in their cheese Laughing

"Not a high emotional reaction." As in shit or awesome sauce expectations. Be neautral. As in, "all right, lets pop this in and give it a go."

But your just gonna ignore that, aren't ya? Yes you areeeee, thats a gooooood boooyyyyy Razz
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
"History." And, "Terrible." Equal the same as, "The worst."

... that is not what that means in the slightest but um. Nice try there, buddy? A big ol' pat on the back for ya. In fact, let's go and take a nice gander at what they actually said.

ArmyofDarkness wrote:

Their history of being a terrible studio. Not that they're the worst studio in history, but that they have an established reputation of putting out low-quality products.

Seriously, bub, work on that reading comprehension.

Quote:
And I said in the past. Honestly, for their Death Notes and FMAB's. They poppped out travesties such as 90's DBZ, Agent Aiko, Buso Renkin, Fruits Basket, Strike Witches, Nura, Kekashi, Naruto, Maria, etc.

Other companies producing low quality products does not in any way take away from the fact that Sentai consistently put out low quality products and employ extremely shady business tactics.

Quote:
Yet the show establishes itself as a slice of life with big but miniscule amounts of fanservice. Going any farther with the line would be againts the content of the show. Unless they just give the middle finger and go all out.

bruh here's a fun fact for you: someone making a dirty joke is not fan service. Especially when it's already part of that character's established personality to make dirty jokes like that.

also are you really going to tell me that making a dirty joke is 'against the content of the show' but a dress that melts when you sweat and leaves you buck-ass naked on stage isn't? Or what about the episode where Sonico takes part in a sentai show with a main gimmick of cute girls being harassed by tentacle monsters, which we actually see happen, with close ups of her boobs and the squid costume's tentacles? Or the episode where Suzu buys Sonico a revealing swimsuit that shows a bunch of ass cleavage as the camera slowly zooms in on her wiggling butt? okay chuckie egg, you do you.

Like, I like SoniAni and I was extremely pleasantly surprised by how un-trashy it was compared to what it could have been but you seriously can't tell me that the climax joke is somehow wildly against the tone of the show.

Quote:
So you got any additional dialouge to say that can keep the flow going to make that scene less akward when no aditional audio is being added until the previous scene stops and they cut back to their original scene? I guess not.

I really really like this assumption you've got going on that just because I decline to go into massive amounts of tl;dr detail about something that I'm incapable of doing so. Trust me buckaroo, if I really was as stuck on this as I could be, I could easily whip up a script that incorporates the original joke, better matches the original intention of the scene, and matches the timing and lipflaps of the dialogue better but here's the thing;

I shouldn't have to.

I'm not against changing jokes in dubs. Hell, the Panty and Stocking dub is extremely liberal with the way it's scripted and yet I honestly think it's an absolutely fantastic localization of the show, because all of the jokes match the tone of the show and match with the characterization previously established in the work.

Like, I know it seems I'm making a big deal about this joke, but the fact is that it's a really awkward and unneeded change and it's all I have to judge the show on so far. If it's setting the tone for what we're going to be getting out of the dub, then I have to say I'm honestly far from impressed.

Quote:
I said what it would do if the joke stayed the same. Not if it was slightly or all out changed. Climax is a less funny line to say when compared to this. A normal english person would'nt say your desired script change, not even my friends who are non anime fans.

That's just like, your opinion bro. But that was a really nice sidestep away from actually backing up your point, seriously, ten outta ten.

You can't say "no english person would ever make this joke", especially since I have plenty of friends who've made basically the same kind of joke while I've been talking to them like, in real life. From their actual mouths.

Quote:
The reason other companies get the flame is because they would have the product be dubbed within their own studio and try to invite the original cast over.

I'm going to assume by this that you did... not hear about the massive clusterfuck Sentai caused themselves when it came to the P4A dub because ohhhhhhhh boyyyyyyy

Quote:
So did the original game being a japanese scooby doo with highschool kids with anime humor, this isn't Persona 3 where it was a healthy balance. You want something to be different from the original material? huh.

son do you even know who you're talking to i have been ass deep in persona 4 since it came out in english do not even with this

The original instance of Persona 4 was rated T and had swearing yes - extremely minimal, mild swearing. Off the top of my head, I know Yosuke says "crap" and "shit" a few times, as does Kanji, who along with Rise, refers to the culprit as a "bastard" once or twice, and the culprit himself says "shit" and "bitch" once or twice.

But here's the thing; it's not constant. It's not in every other line and it's not forced to make the dialogue sound SERIOUS AND EDGY.

Also, fun fact, but I never said the overuse of cussing ruined tension, I said the addition of stupid lines (like the aforementioned 'holy hard nipples' seriously w h at) did. But, y'know, keep at it.

Quote:
If so, it makes sense

tell me with complete seriousness how many people you know would utter the phrase "Facts, my butt" in response to an unbelievable situation. actually, just tell me how many people you know who still unironically use the word 'butt'.

Quote:
More than one person supporting your claims does'nt equal a stronger point. It just mean people coincidently agree with you.

LMFAO OKAY THEN

That's... absolutely not how that works in the slightest. Does it not say something to you that multiple people, independent of each other, have formed the same or similar opinions on something? Does it not make you think that they might have a point?

I don't know what the fudge you're talking about with the flat earth shit, because... that's not a subjective opinion? It was something briefly lauded as fact at a period in human history before we knew better so like... what exactly does that have to do with people forming negative opinions about something?

Quote:
Your specific companies have'nt made alot of superb products either

I don't know why you're saying they're 'my' companies when you were the one who brought them up in the first place, broski.

Quote:
When did I say that? No where.

There's this little thing called "gleaning from context" that you should try out sometime, man, I'm sure you'd have a blast.

Quote:
You can't put a anime character with a live action character and try to make it sound natural, high pitched would be even worse.

w h a t on earth does live action have at all to do with the discussion we're having right now.

Quote:
An actress that had no experience in voice acting or theater until trying anime

At the time of writing, Stephanie Sheh is an already established voice actress, who has plenty of previous experience in the industry. Jessica Nigri is a professional cosplay whose only previous stint was a villain with minimal screentime in a webshow whose voice type is basically the opposite of the character she's been cast as. Try again, though.

Quote:
She would'nt work for Sonico since she voices women or kudere lolis.

... Sonico is a young woman. She has also had a previous role - as I already said - as Himari from Penguindrum who is neither 'kuudere' or a 'loli'

Quote:
But Nigri who has a similar experience with Stephanie Sheh? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Characters Stephanie Sheh has voiced with a similar voice type to Sonico: Usagi Tsukino, Mikan Tsumiki, Mikuru Asahina, Orihime Inoue, Illyasviel von Einzbern, Nui Harime, Yui Hirasawa
Characters Jessica Nigri has voiced that have a similar voice type to Sonico: None. Like, literally. None.

Even if we compare the two at the point they entered the voice acting industry, Stephanie Sheh is still a more experienced voice actress because she had previous training, experience and studying in acting, improv and voice acting before she ever landed herself a role. Jessica has a single roll and no studying or training that I'm aware of under her belt.

There's no comparison.

Quote:
1. And you stating that despite ones opinion, he is wrong overall both fact and opinion on what is to be a good dub for its material leaving a headshot in point 2. Saying that overall he must agree by fact in your taste it is a bad dub

Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrong again buckaroo, but you can have this real cute flower sticker for giving it a gold ol' try!

Also I don't know if 'hipster' is supposed to be an insult or something but. Since when has 'regardless' ever been a hipster word. Jesus christ.

Quote:
"Not a high emotional reaction." As in shit or awesome sauce expectations. Be neautral. As in, "all right, lets pop this in and give it a go."

thaaaaaaaat's not what 'expect nothing' means but again. nice try. good on you.

Quote:
But your just gonna ignore that, aren't ya? Yes you areeeee, thats a gooooood boooyyyyy Razz

yyyeaaaahhh sorry honey boo, but I'm a girl. Take that condescending shit elsewhere.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
One of the typical things us fans might do: We might listen to select dub clips and conclude it's bad. We should wait until it comes out to decide on how well it is.

Those in Houston actually heard a few episodes(those who went to the premiere at Anime Matsuri). They could certainly chip in as to whether Jessica cut the mustard as Sonico or not.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Those in Houston actually heard a few episodes(those who went to the premiere at Anime Matsuri). They could certainly chip in as to whether Jessica cut the mustard as Sonico or not.

Oh, did they premiere a few episodes? For some reason I was under the impression it was just the first one Neutrala

I hope we got at least a couple. As pessimistic as I am with what we've seen so far, there's always a chance she might settle into the role a bit more in later episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3