• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ultimate Retro Game Console Compatible with 11 Different Cartridges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
no nes no buy

Family Computer (Famicom) is Nes in Japan

I think what they're referring to is that it probably won't play NES games from outside of Japan.

As they list the SNES, Genesis & Turbographx-16 along with listing their japanese counterparts. So it makes it sound like it's supporting different regions. Meanwhile only the Famicom is listed, not the NES.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
That's a nice dea. Now all those cartridges can be played off the same device, and even gain a small graphical touch-up from the hardware.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
This hit me square in the childhood. Seriously, once I was at my cousin's house and we were playing his gamecube and somehow we started talking about how cool it'd be if there was something that could play all the games from different game systems. And now it's real :O
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Except that this method is completely legal and allows for playback of the original cartridges that one may already own, which you can't do with emulation.

It's perfectly legal to use emulators for games you already own. In fact, this console actually makes emulating said games even easier as it gives you a direct way to create the emulation.

Actually no its not legal. You buying a cartridge or cd, entitles you to that cartridge or cd, but any copies even if you own the game are illegal. You don't own the rights to the "game", you own the rights to one single physical copy of a game. Granted, like with music, its not something that is really pursued, so its called a grey area, but its by its strictest definition not legal.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Rob49152 wrote:

I just bought a retron 5 three weeks ago. Works great! It has the latest v2.2 firmware that came out 2014-12-01. And the info on the bottom of the machine says it was made in April. So not shut down.

Oh. Whoops. Better check my facts last time.

Still, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE will sue the company at some point.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
kanjineogeo wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
no nes no buy

Family Computer (Famicom) is Nes in Japan

I think what they're referring to is that it probably won't play NES games from outside of Japan.

I used to have a Famicom to NES cartridge adapter. I think they are NES to Famicom adapters as well. My guess is that the relatively larger NES cartridge slot would've taken up too much space.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Once inserted into the system, the cartridges can be "installed" so games can be played without worrying about cartridges again.

Heh, we had something like that from Hong Kong way back on SNES that could be put on top of the SNES slot and copy the games on a floppy. Laughing

Anyway, this reminds us of this news:

A New Cartridge-Based Console Is Being Made To “Reestablish The Culture Of Video Gaming”

• The Retro VGS, then, will play original 2D games made with this retro style for the console, as well as “16-Bit fan-favorite sequels,” and ports of popular mobile and digitally distributed retro-style games from mobile and consoles released on cartridge for the first time. This will be made possible by repurposing the original Atari Jaguar tooling to create the console and the cartridge shells. The console will also come with rebranded internal hardware and a new retro-inspired controller.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it copies save files when it "installs" them? If so something like this could be really handy for Pokemon games whose batteries are due to die any day now. (Though speaking of batteries, I wonder how this system does with time-based events...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Speaking of retro games, it didn't take me long to realize that learning English could be as fun as playing Dragon Quest III.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Actually no its not legal. You buying a cartridge or cd, entitles you to that cartridge or cd, but any copies even if you own the game are illegal. You don't own the rights to the "game", you own the rights to one single physical copy of a game. Granted, like with music, its not something that is really pursued, so its called a grey area, but its by its strictest definition not legal.

Presumably this console runs off of emulators like the Retron so wouldn't it be in a grey area of legality in the first place?
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Presumably this console runs off of emulators like the Retron so wouldn't it be in a grey area of legality in the first place?

Perhaps, but there's just something about playing from a cartridge I paid money for that feels better and right.

Downloading emulators to a computer just feels completely wrong. I don't care if I own the cartridge. I never felt like I got the entitlement to play that game any other way.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain to me how such a technology works? How about they make this for older Sega disc games and take to the west?
vallum

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Pretty cool, though I suspect physical regional locking would render it useless outside Japan even if you could crack the software (assuming it had any).

Physical region locking? Shocked
Where is it when you can run SNES and Super Famicom, Genesis and Mega Drive, Turbo Grafx-16 and PC Engine? And considering Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Advance never had any kind of region lock to begin with, that would only leave Famicom and PC Engine SuperGrafx. The later had only a few games (less than 10) and the former, well, you can easily use a "Famicom-to-NES" adaptor.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Rob49152 wrote:

I just bought a retron 5 three weeks ago. Works great! It has the latest v2.2 firmware that came out 2014-12-01. And the info on the bottom of the machine says it was made in April. So not shut down.

Oh. Whoops. Better check my facts last time.

Still, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE will sue the company at some point.

No, they wont. Unlike what Nintendo wants people to think, emulation is NOT illegal and neither is making copies of the hardware since any patents have long since expired since more than a decade has elapsed since their introduction.

What it is illegal is to include copyrighted software, but guess what, none of these console requires of any copyrighted bios, kernel, firmware, kickstart or operative system to work and the games are provided by the end user.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The important one for me is Game Boy compatibility--I'm so sick of hearing "New Pokémon games are too complicated!" that I want to practice EV-training in Generation I games to reliably explain that, no, Generation I games were just as complicated. What it had in fewer Pokémon and game mechanics, it made up for in user-unfriendliness and information withheld from the player.

Something else to consider is that someone built a machine that can play NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and Gamecube games. He then built it another one, gave it a wood finish, and sent it to Nintendo of America. It appeared in Nintendo Power's Letters column where they took a nice photo of it and spent a paragraph praising it, though they also recommended against other people trying it for safety reasons. (I'd look for this and scan it, but I don't want to dig through piles of magazines.) So at the very least, the Nintendo Power division was okay with such a thing.

Dessa wrote:
Most people I know are brushing this off and sticking with the Retron 5, because it won't play NES games.

I still have a working NES, but all of my previous systems were stolen during a burglary, so this will appeal to me quite a bunch. I don't have every system it's for though, and this doesn't have 32x or Sega CD compatibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3