• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Beauty & The Beast Couples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
How about a MALE Beauty and a FEMALE Beast relationship? Anyone know any examples of that? Just curious Razz

Yamato Akitsuki and Suzuka Asahina from Suzuka come to mind. Yamato is carefree while Suzuka is quick-tempered whenever she's near him.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm going with the reverse. The Kabocha Wine comes to mind. The beauty is a big ol gal who's cute in her own way. But the guy is short with the features of a hobbit.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Holo from Spice and Wolf is the Beauty and the Beast. Best show from Summer that just ended/will soon end would have to be...Working!!!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
If you don't read this list of mismatched couples before the last petal falls on your 21st birthday, you'll be cursed forever. On the plus side, maybe all your anime figures came to life.

That's funny, but who were you quoting? It wasn't in the article and I don't see it among the posts. Confused

More B&Bs:

Tommy (a werewolf, but he seems to mostly be in wolf form) and Peau (human) from Hyper Police.

Hana and her wolf man (who doesn't seem to have a name) in Wolf Children.

Princess Fuse and her dog/husband Yatsufusa in The Hakkenden. I'm detecting a theme here...

Mushibugyo kind of had two beauties and beasts in its couple, spoiler[Jinbei and Kuroageha, since both had terrifying alter egos (berserker and poison butterfly, respectively).]

Would Yuri Aikawa and Soichi Negishi (Johannes Krauser II) from Detroit Metal City count? Cause Krauser is a beast. Very Happy
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
About the Poll:

I voted for Overlord, Aoharu x Kikanjū, and Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri. There were quite a few good shows that ended their run in the Summer Season -- like Arslan Senki, Shokugeki no Sōma, Prison School, and more -- but those three were, IMO, a bit ahead from the rest.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's funny, but who were you quoting? It wasn't in the article and I don't see it among the posts. Confused

It's on the sidenav
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thanks. I generally don't read those because I have my screen font zoomed so much I only see half a sentence most of the time.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Beauty and the Beast... The first one I actualy thought of before seeing the list was Marco and either Gina or Fio from Porco Rosso. Especially since there are some good thematic parallels between that film and the fairy tale.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
Neither of those characters is a beast and I think the case could be made that Tomoe is prettier than Nanami.

Tomoe is certainly a beast. The fact that he is a pretty beast is beside the point. He is not human and is shown to have been very "beastly" in the past. He is initially nice to Nanami only because she is the god of the shrine and he is formally bound to her.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Non Non Biyori Repeat was the clear best for me, though I was impressed by Gatchaman Crowds a lot as well. I voted for those two, and Rokka no Yuusha came in slightly ahead of Gakkou Gurashi for the third spot.

Many, many shorts are missing: Teekyuu S5, Miss Monochrome, Wakako-zake, Okusama ga Seitou Kaichou!, Q Transformers 2, Wooser no Sono Higurashi: Mugen-hen, Kaijuu Sakaba Kanpai!, Kurayami Santa, SuzakiNishi THE ANIMATION, Wakaba Girl and potentially others.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Male "beauties" and female "beasts"? The females lean towards physically cute, this being anime and all, but...

...wasn't Chise x Shuuji on the List supposed to be one?

Kimi ni Todoke! (Though the B&B-ness is more in their classmates' eyes than in reality. I'd've put this one on the List, myself.)

Inu x Boku SS! (Even if the boyfriend is just as youkai as she is, oni are beastlier than kitsune, and she's got the personality quirks.)

any monster-girl/youkai-girl show (Rosario, Monster Musume, Tayutama, Naruko, Zakuro, Sola, Polyphonica, etc.)

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

Elfen Lied? More beauty and Jeckyll-and-Hyde, I suppose.

Steel Angel Kurumi.

Eureka Seven?

Kanokon. (I denounce myself.)

Other male-beast ones:

Katanagatari. Full Metal Panic. Suisei no Gargantia. (Military monster x normal girl.)

spoiler? probably not, since the title of the show spoils it, but just in case... spoiler[Engaged to the Unidentified.]

Yuri couples are a lot tougher to think of... most of them are only vaguely B&B-like (not beastly enough, not romantic enough...)

Nanoha x Fate in the earlier shows? El Cazador? Kiddy Grade?

Battle Girls: Time Paradox?

Kurumi 2, I suppose, if Kurumi 1 fit the 1st list...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
7. Nanami/Tomoe (Kamisama Kiss)

Hm. Neither of those characters is a beast and I think the case could be made that Tomoe is prettier than Nanami.

I'd say that Tomoe used to be a beast. Very little of his backstory is told in the anime, but they made it clear that he would kill another being without a 2nd thought.

As for my "beauty and the beast" couple...I just want to throw this out there, as I'm unsure anyone else would. Kei Agemaki and Zakuro from Otome Youkai Zakuro.

On the poll, I've gone with Working!!!, Prison School, and Non Non Biyori Repeat. Very close to my top 3 would be Rokka. And, in all honestly, if spoiler[Adelt and Fremy got together] at the end, I would've bumped Non Non Biyori down a spot.

Don't know if that is really a spoiler...but here we are...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Kagome and Inuyasha maybe?

definitely not. BUT his brother and rin is a definite beauty and beast love story. though i have a feeling they never included them on this list cause of the whole "age difference" and rin being the whole lolicon age stichk.

also the poll was kinda predictable. though erza is a lot more scarier than bellalika . she should have been #3 with erza at 2 and roberta at #1. though i am surprised that neither tsunade and her apprentice sakura made the list considering they leave broken bones for certain pervs when they go out of line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Roberta's rage is hot. She is basically a berserker. This combined with her skill makes her very frightening. On the other hand, Balalaika's rage is cold. She calculates everything she does and has a small army to back her up. Both are scary because they are not far from reality. Balalaika is the most scary though. You could run half a world away and she would still get you.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Kagome and Inuyasha maybe?

definitely not.

I disagree because I think that they are a classic beauty and the beast couple.
Looking at the difference in Inuyasha from the beginning of the show to the end of the show it seems clear to me that Kagome is the beauty that tamed the beast. And there are some episodes where that is even more literally true.

Quote:
BUT his brother and rin is a definite beauty and beast love story.

I am not so sure that what Sesshomaru was feeling was really love, at least not of the romantic type, but other than that I agree with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3