• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN: Best of Summer Anime 2015 Poll Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nosehair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ANN is heavily influenced by the hype train and think they know it all critics. I just like to have it as my browser homepage to see a little of what is going on in the anime world. having said that i enjoyed charlotte. but i also enjoy ushio to tora and a number of others, we all have our own tastes but we will never know what we like if we only watch what others tell us too.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
so it's a taste thing I guess.

Sorry for only highlighting this, but I feel it's necessary to point out that it's not just yours. The general consensus is that 'panty-over-head' are more to the taste of ANN readers than the concept of there always being some one to carry out 'justice' against murderers, rapists and psychos (which the police fails to do due to 'passivity'), and the conflict this causes between two childhood best friends, which ends in inevitable tragedy. I gathered that much from the poll, and I just wanted to express my disappointment. But oh well. Strength in numbers, right?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I have to say as an anime fan, not as a moderator, most of the responses in here so far are honestly really sad and disheartening. While I don't personally agree with the rankings (I'm flat out shocked at the high placement of 2 shows) I'm not going to sit here and basically insult other people, on ANN or elsewhere, by saying they have no soul, no taste, are idiots, etc etc. Apparently people enjoying something is offensive to a lot of you which is just sad. It's one thing to simply not agree with the rankings or feel other shows had better merits than the ones that got higher rankings. It's another thing entirely to start basically criticizing people for enjoying something simply because you didn't. So much for live and let live it seems.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It's one thing to simply not agree with the rankings or feel other shows had better merits than the ones that got higher rankings. It's another thing entirely to start basically criticizing people for enjoying something simply because you didn't. So much for live and let live it seems.

This behavior seems much more common among anime viewers these days. I see it all the time on MAL threads where people are routinely dismissed as having no taste, being "filthy casuals," or alternatively being "elitists." (I have no idea what those terms are supposed to mean. I like Monster and Kill la Kill. What does that make me?) I usually just chalk it up to adolescent behavior, the anonymity of the Internet, and the usual "e-peen" waving. It is sad to see it seep over here where the readers are generally older and generally more open-minded.

Perhaps it's the effect of social media? I wouldn't know since I never use anything like Facebook and never will. Forums are enough for me.

I wished Gatchaman Crowds Insight ranked higher in these polls, but apparently that didn't have the same appeal for most fans as it did for me. C'est la vie.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I think the elitists are more tolerable than the people pissed off at everything that I've been seeing lately here at ANN.

As far as ratings are concerned, maybe Ranpo Kitan didn't do well because of the yaoi undertones.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well I missed the poll and didn't vote (at least I don't remember voting...I may have) but my favorite of the season "My Love Story" got no 1 so I am not complaining.

That being said for me Summer 15 was an exceptionally weak season. The only 2 series I kept up with My Love Story & Arslan started in the spring so it doesn't say much for the summer.

I also did give Shirayuki-Hime a try but after 8 episodes not being able to care about any of the characters I dropped it. It wasn't bad and it certainly looked pretty but I just personally felt very apathetic about it. Although I know a lot of people loved it so obviously I am just the minority opinion.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Charlotte........... Angel Beats all over again......
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For me Rokka has to be the best anime of Summer 2015. Fantastic show with a lot of interesting plot twists. It felt like the author really thought the scenario through first before writing the complete version. It pains me to know that show won't ever get a 2nd season since its sales were so dreadful. And since I've never really been into reading, I'll never know what happens next. Darn.

I find it surprising that Charlotte placed so high. I found it to be a fairly badly paced show. It needed another cour to build up the events and develop its cast. Overall I didn't think it was a bad show, just a decent one.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Quote:
The general consensus is that 'panty-over-head' are more to the taste of ANN readers

Just exactly whose "consensus" was this and how did they arrive at this conclusion? To the best of my knowledge SHIMONETA was the only show that used this trope and it rated near the bottom of the list.

I should also point out that the theme behind a series is only a small part of what makes a show what it is. Many other factors make a show popular or unpopular, animation, art, story, characters etc. It is possible for a show with an excellent theme to be boring.

As Psycho 101 said, it is one thing to wish a show was more popular, it is another to dismiss everyone else as not having the taste to like what you do.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:
ANN is heavily influenced by the hype train and think they know it all critics.

Yeah, we ride the Hype Train all the way to Albuquerque. Sure. Rolling Eyes

As for the second part of that, we do know it all, so I don't see what the problem is there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I like Ranpo kitan and Arslan, and Himouto is my guilty pleasure. But I didn't participate in the poll, so yeah...

Also, judging a whole community, or worse, country, based on mere poll results is kinda unfair. Sadly this kind of thing happens everywhere.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Pretty pale.....I mean that was a tough Summer season so I don't know really, it's a total toss up, like I don't realistically know myself if I could choose anything over anything else per se cause I finished maybe like one or two shows period. That's just about what could hold my interest compared to Fall where I've got about 8 on the go so far so to sit here and judge other peoples choices is just not something I think I could reasonably do. It's just tough all around.

angelmcazares wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Snow White with the Red Hair is not high enough on either of those polls. It was my personal favorite of the season out of what I watched

To me Snow White with the Red Hair was hands down the best anime series of Summer 2015.

That would be one of the ones I mentioned that I actually finished and enjoyed this summer. Simply by default it would be my number 1 choice.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Quote:
The general consensus is that 'panty-over-head' are more to the taste of ANN readers

Just exactly whose "consensus" was this and how did they arrive at this conclusion? To the best of my knowledge SHIMONETA was the only show that used this trope and it rated near the bottom of the list.

As Psycho 101 said, it is one thing to wish a show was more popular, it is another to dismiss everyone else as not having the taste to like what you do.

I gather the 'consensus' from the results of the poll, since that was what people voted for. Even if it did not get a lot of votes, it was still on the list. So maybe not that 'general', but certainly enough to rank.

If you recall what I said, I said SHIMONETA are "MORE to the taste of ANN readers than [ranpo kitan]', I did not say 'those who watch SHIMONETA have NO/NOT MY/NOT GOOD taste'. For me, there is a difference, so please do not put words in my mouth and say I 'dismissed' ANN readers' taste. I simply pointed out what they like more, based on the poll.

And that's fine, I'm personally just a bit sad. Not about ANN readers themselves, but the fact that they didn't like a show I liked, because I really care for Ranpo Kitan and wish for it to do well.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I've only been able to catch Monster Musume this season and it is an absolutely enjoyable show. There's something about romance-focused stories in manga or anime that really get me regardless of the genre. Though to be fair, I've only read two manga with the same romance-focused style, iShoujo and Haru x Kiyo.

P.S. Rachnera best girl.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Noragami only #8? Even the cliche-fest Asterisk War got higher!?
Could be worse. I'm watching 9 series this fall and absolutely none of them made it on the most anticipated poll results, but oh well. At least I'm pretty pleased about the summer results. My Love Story was good, even though I only got halfway, and School Live! was my favorite series from the summer. Charlotte I have zero interest in. I'm pretty disappointed Shimoneta and Gatchaman are so low though. To me they were around the same level as Prison School and Gate (Gatchaman probably higher).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3