• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Baccano! License to Expire in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Great job Funimation! Now, all you need to do is lose your rights to Sgt. Frog and put all my hopes for more of the dub to come out to rest! ^^
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
Baccano is a pretty old show and It never really sold that well for funimation on dvd or for AoA's limited edition bluray either. I dont think funimation is going to miss it and AoA wont release it again for a while. I mean the LE and regular edition bluray they released several years ago only got one print to begin with and it took a few years to sell out anyway.

I have a feeling funimation tried to keep darker than black because we did not find out about it officiallyuntil after the license actually expired. While with Baccano we are finding out a whole month before. I dont think Funi even put up a fight to renew it. Of course im so guessing at this point.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
2 + 2 = 4. I get it now, this is why Funimation did all those Fullmetal Alchemist BD box sets last year. And it's all a matter of when, isn't it?

Excuse me while I go away to look at something. Amazon, come here, I need you!

Ah, it's on sale. I already have Brotherhood, just being careful, you know...

Let's see.... Angel Beats... Birdy the Mighty... Blood +, well, why are they just sitting on that? Oh right... Guilty Crown... Sekerei, really? Well I was going to sell my BD copy, now I'm going to wait...

No, I'm good. What I want, I already got. Now excuse me while I go order the FMA BD...

And for some added irony, the remaindered second half of Blood + to get free shipping. It's recommended after all...

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
And today is the day I bought myself a copy of Baccano!

I'm also pretty glad I picked up all the bits of Fullmetal Alchemist when they went on sale before the release of the Collector's Edition $250-something box set.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Wow, they are losing a lot of their big hits all at once...

Baccano wasn't a big hit for them. It floundered in both the west and Japan with the key difference is that the people who like it are much more vocal about it here.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
And so it begins..

It's pretty obvious that all Aniplex shows from everybody will be taken away, Angel Beats and FMA are next in line.
If AoA would at least keep the shows in print, but nope, they're all OOP and when something does come out, it's limited and expensive.

I just hope that no other publisher does this crap
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
People seem to be forgetting that Baccano is not a top seller anywhere. This is not a big loss for Funi, and I doubt Funi cares about it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Before it's gone, shout-out to Funi's pitch-perfect trailer for Baccano!, one of the best they've ever done. (NSFW / TW for serious gore, even in the YouTube version)
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
People seem to be forgetting that Baccano is not a top seller anywhere. This is not a big loss for Funi, and I doubt Funi cares about it.

Actually, Baccano has been in the Top 100 anime category on Amazon for a while.
https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/691975240151363585

It does better than Deadman Wonderland for FUNimation on Hulu, and Baccano is got an Anime Classics release which meant that it sold well. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't have gotten that.

I'm pretty sure FUNimation would have loved to have been able to renew it. This is kinda a big loss for them.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
2 + 2 = 4. I get it now, this is why Funimation did all those Fullmetal Alchemist BD box sets last year. And it's all a matter of when, isn't it?

Excuse me while I go away to look at something. Amazon, come here, I need you!

Ah, it's on sale. I already have Brotherhood, just being careful, you know...

Let's see.... Angel Beats... Birdy the Mighty... Blood +, well, why are they just sitting on that? Oh right... Guilty Crown... Sekerei, really? Well I was going to sell my BD copy, now I'm going to wait...

No, I'm good. What I want, I already got. Now excuse me while I go order the FMA BD...

And for some added irony, the remaindered second half of Blood + to get free shipping. It's recommended after all...
Does anyone have the USA rights for Blood+ at all? I know Sony had them and made a terrible release. Did Sony drop it or not? I still want to add it to my collection.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Detective Conan's license expires and all the episodes go on Crunchyroll.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Actually, Baccano has been in the Top 100 anime category on Amazon for a while.

Odd, I was under the impression it didn't do good. Guess only in Japan? But it must have boosted the LN...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Baccano is a pretty old show and It never really sold that well for funimation on dvd or for AoA's limited edition bluray either. I dont think funimation is going to miss it and AoA wont release it again for a while. I mean the LE and regular edition bluray they released several years ago only got one print to begin with and it took a few years to sell out anyway.

AoA first released the LE which sold out in less than a year and after it sold out they released a standard edition which I believe took about a year and a half to sell out. This was after them stating that the LE was getting a limited run and once it sold out there wouldn't be anymore. I don't think they would release a standard edition if the first one sold poorly. The SE did end up on an RS xmas sale (if I recall correctly) at about $10 cheaper and then soon sold out a month or two later. So it really didn't take a few years to sell out. They said it would be a limited run, it did well enough to get a second standard edition and that was that.
DmonHiro wrote:
It doesn't have to be a top seller for them to make money off it. Its just one less show they could be streaming which is reduces their library. I'm sure there would still be people picking up the show on DVD in the long run, yea not a ton of people but some money is better than no money. Is it a tremendous loss like say if they lost FMA? No, but its still a loss even if its a minor one.

TheMorry wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Blood +, well, why are they just sitting on that?...[snip]
Does anyone have the USA rights for Blood+ at all? I know Sony had them and made a terrible release. Did Sony drop it or not? I still want to add it to my collection.
No, I think Animegomaniac actually meant that Sony/AoJ is sitting on it. Its a show that while not great (at least to me) many of us including myself would like to still own.
Shaone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
To me this is a sound decision. I thought the series was weak with way too many flashbacks to make anything coherent.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Great job Funimation! Now, all you need to do is lose your rights to Sgt. Frog and put all my hopes for more of the dub to come out to rest! ^^

I'm not sure why you're blaming Funimation. As the most recent Answerman column pointed out, Baccano and Darker than Black are both Aniplex shows that were licensed to Funimation before there even was an Aniplex of America. Now that the license was set to expire, Aniplex opted not to renew those licenses and keep the shows for themselves. It isn't terribly surprising in this instance since Aniplex already released the blu-ray itself.

As for Sgt. Frog, again it's not Funimation's fault. The show didn't sell very well, and they gave it more than a fair shot by dubbing 78 episodes. Putting more money into something that performed poorly is bad business. It's far from ideal as a fan of a show, heck I'm still a bit perturbed that season 2 of xxxHolc was never licensed, but sometimes that is the business goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4