• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Smartphone Game to Run Fate/Zero Special Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelo_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Guys, take a hint: if you don't like the game, don't post about it. People really enjoy shitting up on TM stuff, there's always one guy starting the hate posting stuff like...
championferret wrote:
Never gonna understand why type moon fans get so upset about people preferring /Zero [...]

When nobody got upset.

And then we have guys like Alabaster Spectrum, coming to add fuel to the shitposting just for the sake of it.
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
They should just save themselves and all of the BS and say to exploit money off of fanatics cause anybody who can see the forest for the trees knows it by now.

This "TM fanbase is evi!" meme should stop already, when it's literally every other guy around throwing shit at it like it's nothing.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:
When nobody got upset.

I dunno, answering a thinly masked bait with a single buzzword sounds somewhat upset to me.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Never gonna understand why type moon fans get so upset about people preferring /Zero.

It probably stems in large part from a subset of Zero viewers who saw Zero, went "This is incredible!", and promptly dismissed FSN as, to quote Gigguk, "Zero's retarded little brother." Fan defensiveness from a subset of viewers who often misunderstood Zero, thought that being Kiritsugu was a great thing, and cursed Shirou for being 'a shitty high school harem protagonist who doesn't kill people like his dad' and so on.

Then all Zero fans get conflated with the few who attacked FSN, and cue shitstorm. Similar process with the few highly aggressive TM fans attacking detractors and getting us all labeled as socially regressive crackpots.

As for my opinion on the two, Zero is more consistent while FSN has higher heights, and I truly enjoyed them both.

championferret wrote:
also /zero Rider is the best thing in the entire Fateverse so hey, maybe I might actually bother with /GO too. Key word being maybe because I dont really have the time atm for more timesinks. 8-)

Well, you have a week to amass quartz if you do. I'll be holding off on rolling for him, but if the people who want him get him, that's great.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
I've played Grand Order for a while now, and while I enjoy it to a point, I agree that its not a very good game.

The gacha rates are shocking. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take a while after you finish the story and all the free quests to get even the 4 saint quartz needed to summon a single card. So then that leads to paying for it. However, the prices are shocking as well. The horribly low rates means that, generally, if you want anything particularly decent (like a 5* card), you're going to have to bring around 160 quartz to burn through. To buy 160 quartz, that costs $90. $90, for a low chance at getting anything good.

I've been free to play myself, and having done most of the free quests available, a number of interludes and all of the story released so far, I have 3 4* Servants and 1 5* Craft Essence rolled from the gacha's. That's a lot of time spent for relatively little.

The game itself isn't much better. When you realise that the main draw of the game, summoning Servants, is set up in such a way that you almost have to spend hundreds of $ to get the Servants you want, or otherwise spend months and months on end saving up Quartz to splurge all in one go at an event you want, there really isn't much left. Battles themselves aren't much fun beyond simple A > B > C > A mechanics, and the story isn't translated at all, but going by the fan translations done so far it's nothing special either.

It's sad really, because this is the type of game that should be a love letter to fans. Featuring every single servant so far, it should really be heavy on fanservice (not the term it has taken to mean, but the actual term), but it's not. It's not a love letter, it's a means to exploit them, which is why people didn't want to consider it a legit entry. Compared to every other legit Fate/ entry, it's awfully bad.

It really makes me lose respect for people like Nasu when they try and tell us that it's all really great and a fully legit entry and how everyone should consider it as such and enjoy the game, when all it is doing is exploiting the fanbase and making as much money off of them as it can. It's clear that the success of the game and how much it makes isn't really going back into the game to improve it - animations are often bad, servants are unbalanced largely and the servers are honestly terrible - you'd think they would be able to afford servers many times better than what they use given what it makes, but that would mean less profits.

I'm sure the Zero event will be fun to a point, and I'll probably play it, but ultimately it will just be about the latest gacha scam (and it is a scam, as a poster earlier said, they do indeed lie outright about rates to encourage people to pay more money and because they don't release the official rates they can do so) and it is sad to see Type Moon exploit their fans like this. Between this and Extella (it's obvious that they'll use DLC for new Servants in that to make yet more money from the fanbase) I do not like where the Fate/ franchise is going. In many ways, I wish it was less successful and Type Moon would show their fans a bit more respect than cynically ripping them off all the time.

But Grand Order itself is enjoyable. I hate what it stands for, but the event will likely be fun.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:

And then we have guys like Alabaster Spectrum, coming to add fuel to the shitposting just for the sake of it..

You don't get to bitch about other people "shitposting" when you are the one going around responding to
Quote:
I never really cared for the story until Urobuchi was confirmed for writing this new scenario. I have nothing against F/SN or Nasu but I always thought Zero was the best thing that came out of the franchise and it's my personal favorite.

which is a perfectly harmless comment where someone states their preference and that they simply thought that Zero was better, with:
Quote:
edgy

which is literally shitposting and trying to annoy people and add fuel to the fire. It's embarrassing that you're so self-unaware that you don't realise that you are the main one in this thread guilty of the very things you're crying about.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
It really makes me lose respect for people like Nasu when they try and tell us that it's all really great and a fully legit entry and how everyone should consider it as such and enjoy the game, when all it is doing is exploiting the fanbase and making as much money off of them as it can.

You mean, it's a business. No, I'm not dismissing the exploitation of obsessive fanboys, which is a moral grey area closer to the dark side, but no one is forcing anyone to pay money.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:

It really makes me lose respect for people like Nasu when they try and tell us that it's all really great and a fully legit entry and how everyone should consider it as such and enjoy the game, when all it is doing is exploiting the fanbase and making as much money off of them as it can. It's clear that the success of the game and how much it makes isn't really going back into the game to improve it - animations are often bad, servants are unbalanced largely and the servers are honestly terrible - you'd think they would be able to afford servers many times better than what they use given what it makes, but that would mean less profits.

You probably missed how much the server improved or how much better the animation is, just try comparing Saber and Gilgamesh old vs. new animation.

and the game is made that you can play without paying anything unless you want a fictional Waifu or something you don't need to pay and you can complete the game which focus more on the story anyway.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:
It really makes me lose respect for people like Nasu when they try and tell us that it's all really great and a fully legit entry and how everyone should consider it as such and enjoy the game, when all it is doing is exploiting the fanbase and making as much money off of them as it can.

You mean, it's a business. No, I'm not dismissing the exploitation of obsessive fanboys, which is a moral grey area closer to the dark side, but no one is forcing anyone to pay money.

Sure, but not all businesses are quite as cynical with it. No one is forcing it, sure, but given that the main draw of the game is summoning servants, if it is going to be considered a full entry into Fate/ it needs to be held to those standards, and I find it hard to see how anyone can say Grand Orders meets those. If this is the level of quality we are to expect from "legit Fate/ entries" now, then frankly, I'm concerned.
Dab1za9 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

You probably missed how much the server improved or how much better the animation is, just try comparing Saber and Gilgamesh old vs. new animation.

and the game is made that you can play without paying anything unless you want a fictional Waifu or something you don't need to pay and you can complete the game which focus more on the story anyway.

Not at all. I've been playing for a while now, on and off, over the period of a few months. Only lately more consistently of course, but still. However, you are pointing to two Servants which admittedly look better - the vast majority still look bad. 2 good ones don't make the whole thing look good. In fact, it makes the others look worse.

Whether the game is made so that you can win with 3*'s or not is irrelevant, a lot of fan favourite servants are effectively locked behind steep paywalls and that isn't good. What also isn't good is how summoning servants is probably the main aspect, and it is so tedious it is hardly worth it. Completing the whole story and all the free quests to this point will get you enough quartz for, at best, a low-fairly low chance at getting one of the 5*, one of whom is often the most popular character in the entire Type Moon verse - Arturia. That's bad.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

Sure, but not all businesses are quite as cynical with it. No one is forcing it, sure, but given that the main draw of the game is summoning servants, if it is going to be considered a full entry into Fate/ it needs to be held to those standards, and I find it hard to see how anyone can say Grand Orders meets those. If this is the level of quality we are to expect from "legit Fate/ entries" now, then frankly, I'm concerned.
Dab1za9 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

Not at all. I've been playing for a while now, on and off, over the period of a few months. Only lately more consistently of course, but still. However, you are pointing to two Servants which admittedly look better - the vast majority still look bad. 2 good ones don't make the whole thing look good. In fact, it makes the others look worse.

Whether the game is made so that you can win with 3*'s or not is irrelevant, a lot of fan favourite servants are effectively locked behind steep paywalls and that isn't good. What also isn't good is how summoning servants is probably the main aspect, and it is so tedious it is hardly worth it. Completing the whole story and all the free quests to this point will get you enough quartz for, at best, a low-fairly low chance at getting one of the 5*, one of whom is often the most popular character in the entire Type Moon verse - Arturia. That's bad.

Every new servant have a really good animation and Gil and Saber are probably the first step to upgrading the old servant and that show where the money goes to.

also Can you read the story ? if you are concerned about the quality of a game you can't understand then i feel sorry for you, and about Arturia there was 2 version of her for free and actually various free servants as well, Nasu is talking about how a legit Fate/ game it is by the story which he personally supervise and edit and most people playing it admit how fun the story is, If you want to pay money to get a character then sure go ahead but the game is again fully playable without any money(i didn't pay anything and don't intend to) and hey the money also goes to stuff like Fate/Extella and Fate/Extra anime too.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Dab1za9 wrote:
and hey the money also goes to stuff like Fate/Extella and Fate/Extra anime too.

Now if only they'd funnel some of that money into Tsuki:Re...
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:

What standards? Fate/ has one standard I can think of and that's storytelling and you've already told that you can't read the story. The fan translation hadn't even finished Fuyuki yet last I checked. The moonreaders I know for the most part have enjoyed at least France and Caribbean storylines and there's a ton of new lore.

I'm one of the rather few ones who don't care much at all about all the spinoffs and are waiting for Tsuki:Re and Mahoyo 2.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Dab1za9 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

Dab1za9 wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

Every new servant have a really good animation and Gil and Saber are probably the first step to upgrading the old servant and that show where the money goes to.

I disagree. Gil and Saber are clearly stand out - a lot of the newer ones actually look quite plain. And whether or not this is the start, doesn't change the fact that, as of now, most of the animations suck. And that what we are discussing - not what the game will look like in 6 months, what it looks like now. You understand this, yes?

Dab1za9 wrote:
also Can you read the story ?

Renasviel wrote:
and the story isn't translated at all, but going by the fan translations done so far it's nothing special either.

If you're going to respond, at least do me the courtesy of reading what I'm posting.
Dab1za9 wrote:
if you are concerned about the quality of a game you can't understand then i feel sorry for you,

Do you now? Your argument would be sound if this was a visual novel and story was all there was to it. It's not. There is actual gameplay, and game mechanics, completely unrelated to the story (that is to say, understanding the story is not required to experience or enjoy them fully or near enough), and thus, I am perfectly capable of voicing my opinion on the quality of the game without having read the story. If my entire argument was about how bad the story is, then yeah, again, fair enough, but it is very clearly not.
Dab1za9 wrote:
and about Arturia there was 2 version of her for free and actually various free servants as well,

There have been what, 4 free servants (including Saber Lily) that players could possibly obtain in a single account. This over a period of about 10 months. Mobages often give these things away twice a month, not once every two months on average. As for Arturia, you are aware that the popularity polls feature every version of Arturia as a seperate character, right? That means that it's Arturia Pendragon (Vanilla) who tops those polls, that's the one people really want, not Lily, not Santa Alter, the Vanilla version.
Dab1za9 wrote:
Nasu is talking about how a legit Fate/ game it is by the story which he personally supervise and edit

No, he's saying it is a fully legit Fate/ game, and as such, it needs to be held to those standards. Not "oh, the story might be good but the rest of the game is shit, but because the story is good the entire thing is good".
Dab1za9 wrote:
and most people playing it admit how fun the story is,

Citation needed, because from what I've seen from people who can read the story, this is not the case.
Dab1za9 wrote:
If you want to pay money to get a character then sure go ahead but the game is again fully playable without any money(i didn't pay anything and don't intend to) and hey the money also goes to stuff like Fate/Extella and Fate/Extra anime too.

I never said it was unplayable, I said the game is bad because its gacha is one of the worst in the industry, amongst other reasons.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
championferret wrote:
Never gonna understand why type moon fans get so upset about people preferring /Zero.

It probably stems in large part from a subset of Zero viewers who saw Zero, went "This is incredible!", and promptly dismissed FSN as, to quote Gigguk, "Zero's retarded little brother." Fan defensiveness from a subset of viewers who often misunderstood Zero, thought that being Kiritsugu was a great thing, and cursed Shirou for being 'a shitty high school harem protagonist who doesn't kill people like his dad' and so on.

Then all Zero fans get conflated with the few who attacked FSN, and cue shitstorm. Similar process with the few highly aggressive TM fans attacking detractors and getting us all labeled as socially regressive crackpots.

As for my opinion on the two, Zero is more consistent while FSN has higher heights, and I truly enjoyed them both.

championferret wrote:
also /zero Rider is the best thing in the entire Fateverse so hey, maybe I might actually bother with /GO too. Key word being maybe because I dont really have the time atm for more timesinks. Cool

Well, you have a week to amass quartz if you do. I'll be holding off on rolling for him, but if the people who want him get him, that's great.

It all just struck me as another one of those visual novel fan culture things like the Key/Visual Arts works where the fanbase is compromised of a bunch of zealots who harass anybody that dares to not exactly parrot their exact position on the perceived quality and meaning of the shows and became a real turn off real fast. They always try to justify their behavior too by saying that people don't know what they are talking about with the shows and that the filthy secondary fanbase needs to be taught the "proper way" to enjoy and watch the show and the proper interpretation of it's themes and characters. What these people could just never seem to grasp is that maybe some people just didn't want to have to delve deeply into fanboy politics about a show and just you know...watch it and make up their own minds about it.

I stopped interacting with and posting about that UBW anime on the internet very fast and by the time I was done the first cour of it which I waited till several months after to watch I decided I'd really just had enough of Fate and the whole fan culture it spawned. Haven't looked back or sought to get around to the second half, doubt I ever will really. Just glad I'm not alone in thinking the Fate fanbase seems to have a stick up it's ass though really it just seems like a very uniquely popular visual novel culture thing. I got it about as bad for not opining that Clannad After Story was the single greatest most emotionally moving story ever told back in the late 2000's.

@Renasviel: Nasu tried to insist that the game was made to try to introduce Fate to a wider audience but instead all it seems to have done is get labelled a Kusoge by the general public for the disaster that was it's launch and exploit existing whale fans and progressively cheese them off more and more with all the scandals and maintenance and what not. It clearly makes a ton of money but if anything it's hurt the brands image on a larger public scale and probably undone a lot of the good will that Fate/Zero and the like seemed to foster for it. Also the franchise getting absolutely milked to death now is going to lead to oversaturation and probably bring the brands quality level down even more over the course of the next few years. They only seem to care about the money now though so I doubt they actually care.

It's a shame because I was really starting to kind of get interested in the Type Moon universe after seeing the kind of compelling Kara no Kyoukai and pretty solid Fate/Zero but after UBW and just all the exploitation and omnipresence of the franchise as well as it's fanbases increasing sense of entitlement and tendency to be obnoxious towards those looking to get into it in the 2010's I've just kind of been turned off of it. No interest in seeing this Fate/Extra anime that's coming out or Heaven's Feel movie now either whereas a few years ago I would have been down for it for sure. I also think it's plenty fair to give that sort of opinion on it and not just blindly praise the franchise or only say good things about it, I think it's a pressing issue and now they are mishandling the franchise greatly when it comes to potential newcomers in every way other than the exploitation angle.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
It's perfectly possible to enjoy a piece of fiction without interacting with hardcore fans, caring about spinoffs or company policy.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So all it took was one guy saying "Edgy" to turn the topic to how bad TM Fanbase is ? I don't even understand why people opinion about certain thins change just because they don't like the fans, Many popular franchise have this kind of dedicated fans and you will find them anywhere no need to turn every thread to "oh no TM fans are the worst" because that is a cancerous attitude no matter how bad the Fanbase.

Just try to enjoy stuff without caring about the fans and if you don't just ignore it completely since you are wasting your time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3