• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Publishers Decide Whether To Release A Blu-ray Remaster?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster D

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

This is pretty rare, but it happens. If you notice classic shows that get rerun airings on TV in Japan always have an HD remaster out.

This is only half true, as a lot of times the "HD remaster" will only be an upscale. Tokyo MX is currently re-airing Mospeada, but it's just an upscale despite having a non-upscaled Blu-ray release years ago. An upscale of Gundam 0083 was also airing shortly before its Blu-ray release. There have been a few actual HD airings of anime in recent years that hasn't yet had a Blu-ray release, though.

Then you have Detective Conan, where old pre-digital episodes have been re-airing in true HD as filler, but the Blu-ray releases of the same episodes are upscales.

Zalis116 wrote:
I'd link it if I weren't posting by phone, but fandompost's Japanese disc forum has a thread listing cases where JP companies upscaled old analog masters instead of doing new film transfers for cel-era titles.

Here it is: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?28305-list-of-upscales-on-JP-Blu-rays-for-cel-film-based-anime
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I still really want an Ergo Proxy blu ray release. But Funimation recently re-released the series only on DVD, i'm guessing there must have been some sort of clog in the process of getting a BD release. Which makes me sad.

Ergo Proxy has a BD release with the english dub but is long out of print and was a Japan only release. I don't think it's a "clog" or anything like that. I think Funimation just never thought it worth it to negotiate a BD license for it. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be as popular and I think they were right. I don't hear anybody clamoring for a BD release besides you and me.

Last edited by Tempest_Wing on Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:
I still really want an Ergo Proxy blu ray release. But Funimation recently re-released the series only on DVD, i'm guessing there must have been some sort of clog in the process of getting a BD release. Which makes me sad.

Ergo Proxy has a [ur=http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1007l]BD release[/url] with the english dub but is long out of print and was a Japan only release. I don't think it's a "clog" or anything like that. I think Funimation just never thought it worth it to negotiate a BD license for it. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be as popular and I think they were right. I don't hear anybody clamoring for a BD release besides you and me.

And Me Laughing
curtisd88

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for the day the Rurouni Kenshin series gets a BD release.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I know that not all companies are able to offer their titles on BD, but when they do, even if the title in question is not visually impressive, I prefer to go with BD. And now that 4K is starting to become a thing, I wonder if N.A. companies are going to start selling discs with that format soon. Personally, I am quite happy with 1080.

It'll probably be some time before series but I hope at least some of the movies going forward with top-tier visuals will start getting UHD blu-rays as I'd like to at least have SOME anime in my just starting 4K blu-ray collection.

One-Eye wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
And now that 4K is starting to become a thing, I wonder if N.A. companies are going to start selling discs with that format soon. Personally, I am quite happy with 1080.

Probably not soon. As far as I know 4K BDs is going to require HDCP 2.2, so that means all your equipment will have to be compliant and I doubt everyone will get rid of perfectly good 1080p equipment (receivers, screens, etc) all at once. So, since adoption is not going to be automatic I doubt we will see it soon. Also if BDs are more expensive to produce than DVDs how much more will UHD-BDs cost to produce? Again may not see a rush to it from NA anime companies and is Japan even producing any anime in 4K?

Thankfully this actually isn't a large problem as I only have an old non-4K receiver too. The first 4K UHD blu-ray player (and I think the next two coming from two other companies will too) has two HDMI outs so that you can plug one straight to your 4K TV and the other secondary one to your current non-4K receiver in order to still get the HD audio sound. Smile

Razor/Edge wrote:

They NEED to do this. Such a good looking show and the Japanese blu-ray was gorgeous. I managed to save up for it since I loved the show and since it had the dub which I really liked because it seemed so unlikely after Geneon died, but it's expensive and it does not have an English signs or subtitles track.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
Personally, I want to kill DVDs with fire and have everything on Blu-ray. On top of SD being obviously worse than HD, the interlacing that's almost always on DVDs makes the video quality so much worse than it needs to be. I buy the Blu-ray release for every show that I bought on DVD that gets re-released on Blu-ray in the US and sometimes have bought them from Japan (though that tends to be prohibitively expensive). The lack of interlacing alone makes them worth it (though sometimes, for reasons that I don't understand, Blu-rays still get released with interlacing even though interlaced, HD displays aren't really a thing). But unfortunately, even many Hollywood shows and movies simply never get rereleased on Blu-ray, and those generally would sell far better than an anime re-released on Blu-ray would. So, as far as I'm concerned, we're extremely lucky every time we get a re-release on Blu-ray, and I eagerly await the day that everything gets released on Blu-ray, and we don't have to worry about DVD-only content.

Razor/Edge wrote:

I bought the Japanese Blu-ray release for Ergo Proxy, and I've done that for a few other releases that never have gotten a Blu-ray release here (e.g. Kiddy Grade). The price is painful, but for some series, there's really no other option, and at least some of them get released with the English audio, so you don't even have to remux in the audio from the DVDs if you want the English audio (whereas with others, that's exactly what you have to do if you want the HD video with the English audio). Unfortunately though, in the case of Ergo Proxy, even if you're willing to pay the Japanese prices, it's out of print, so while it can still be bought, the price is really bad now. Kiddy Grade is in the same boat. For whatever reason though, some of the other shows that have gotten Blu-ray re-releases in Japan stay in print rather than having a short print run and quickly disappearing (Mai-Hime/Otome and GitS come to mind). So, it's often hard to know whether you'll need to jump on a release quickly if you want it and are willing to pay the exhorbitant prices - though if you jump on it quickly you also risk it being released in the US later for much cheaper (that happened to me with Tenchi Muyo, though the Japanese release did have the Mihoshi special on it, whereas the US release didn't, so it wasn't a total waste).
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Unfortunately though, in the case of Ergo Proxy, even if you're willing to pay the Japanese prices, it's out of print, so while it can still be bought, the price is really bad now.

I was looking for Ergo Proxy about a year ago and other than one Ebay sale that started in a reasonable area(ended up selling for like $460), the only way to get the thing is to spend upwards of $750, so I had to give up on owning that guy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
Another question is when a publisher will release a BD remaster. If Funi legally did what they needed to, then Bandai is essentially is still obligated to give Funi the masters to those Bandai rescues Funi announced around AX 2013.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Another question is when a publisher will release a BD remaster. If Funi legally did what they needed to, then Bandai is essentially is still obligated to give Funi the masters to those Bandai rescues Funi announced around AX 2013.

Yeah. Both Funimation and Sentai have announced license rescues for shows that have been re-released on Blu-ray in Japan that they have yet to release in any form. And there was at least one show (Code Geass) that Funimation rescued that was released on Blu-ray when it was first released in Japan but was never released on Blu-ray by Bandai in the US. But Funimation has yet to release it either.

IIRC, I read a comment from Funimation at one point about a show (I don't remember which one) where they were stuck waiting for the masters from Japan and thus couldn't release it, but I don't know if that's what's happening with these shows or not. Regardless, it sucks, because I would love to get some of those shows on Blu-ray, and the only alternative right now is to buy them from Japan (and on top of being painfully expensive, some of those releases don't have any English subs on them, let alone the dub). And of course, what will probably happen is that as soon as I break down and buy them from Japan, Funimation and Sentai will finally release them in the US. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yeah. Both Funimation and Sentai have announced license rescues for shows that have been re-released on Blu-ray in Japan that they have yet to release in any form. And there was at least one show (Code Geass) that Funimation rescued that was released on Blu-ray when it was first released in Japan but was never released on Blu-ray by Bandai in the US. But Funimation has yet to release it either.

IIRC, I read a comment from Funimation at one point about a show (I don't remember which one) where they were stuck waiting for the masters from Japan and thus couldn't release it, but I don't know if that's what's happening with these shows or not. Regardless, it sucks, because I would love to get some of those shows on Blu-ray, and the only alternative right now is to buy them from Japan (and on top of being painfully expensive, some of those releases don't have any English subs on them, let alone the dub). And of course, what will probably happen is that as soon as I break down and buy them from Japan, Funimation and Sentai will finally release them in the US. Smile

Definitely know what you mean.

Also shows like Big O come to mind as another example that's been rescued that I want and now has a Japanese blu-ray release. And I've been always on the verge of breaking down and getting the Ghost in the Shell SAC blu-ray sets for example...
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
^Those GitS sets are probably not going to show up out west any time soon. I can't remember where I heard it, but it sounds like the license for that is tied up with Manga Entertainment, and they don't seem to have any desire to release it on Blu-ray any time soon.

On the other hand, you can get the South Korean Blu-rays, which are region free and have English subtitles and the dub, for like $250 with shipping.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Aside from movies, Bandai never released very much on Blu-Ray to begin with, even for clear "spectacle" anime like Code Geass and Gundam 00. I have to think that contributed to Bandai's decline, as it was hard enough for R1 DVD releases in the late 00s and early 10s to compete with 720p HDTV rips, let alone 1080p BD rips (sometimes with the English audio added in).

Either way, it's up to Funi and Sunrise to hash out which of those licenses are allowed to have BD releases over here. And it could potentially be quite a few, as all of the titles in question have BDs in Japan, except for Witch Hunter Robin, Angel Links, and the Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise.
TnTDon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
First off, thank you Justin for answering my question.

Kalessin wrote:
Personally, I want to kill DVDs with fire and have everything on Blu-ray. On top of SD being obviously worse than HD, the interlacing that's almost always on DVDs makes the video quality so much worse than it needs to be. I buy the Blu-ray release for every show that I bought on DVD that gets re-released on Blu-ray in the US and sometimes have bought them from Japan (though that tends to be prohibitively expensive). The lack of interlacing alone makes them worth it (though sometimes, for reasons that I don't understand, Blu-rays still get released with interlacing even though interlaced, HD displays aren't really a thing). But unfortunately, even many Hollywood shows and movies simply never get rereleased on Blu-ray, and those generally would sell far better than an anime re-released on Blu-ray would. So, as far as I'm concerned, we're extremely lucky every time we get a re-release on Blu-ray, and I eagerly await the day that everything gets released on Blu-ray, and we don't have to worry about DVD-only content.

Kalessin, I share your same thoughts. If I could get away from DVDs altogether I would be extremely happy. The media itself is just not resilient enough and risks so much damage over time. I fear that my older discs may not last due to shelf life alone. Aside from that, the cases take up much less space on my shelf and doesn't hold that sticky residue from the sticker label. As far as the visual aspects, Blu-rays are 1000x visually better than DVDs, though I hear some of the more recent DVD re-masters are rather crisp. Overall, I will take Blu-rays over DVDs any day. Now if I could get the time to view my watch queue. I did a count and I still have 100+ Blu-rays/DVDs that are still in the wrapper.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^Those GitS sets are probably not going to show up out west any time soon. I can't remember where I heard it, but it sounds like the license for that is tied up with Manga Entertainment, and they don't seem to have any desire to release it on Blu-ray any time soon.

On the other hand, you can get the South Korean Blu-rays, which are region free and have English subtitles and the dub, for like $250 with shipping.

I may have to do this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2