• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses WWII-Era Anime Film Momotaro, Sacred Sailors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I'm amazed this got licensed outside of Japan. A product of the little known "Shadow Staff" group of studios and animators gathered under the auspices. of the militaristic goverment's increasing control of "entertainment" content in cinemas. largely influanced by the 1939 Film Law. This title, one of several of the Momotaro series, is the longest of the series at 9 reels.The Shadow Staff included many of the same animators that could carry on post war into television, and cut their milk teeth in the industry including Tezuka Osamu. Now if they could find Bakugeki Riron (Principles of Bombardment) produced by Ushio Sóji at the Tokubetsu Eiga-Ban (Special Film Unit) an amalgamation of Tóhó and Nihon Eigasha. It is the animated training film for pilots who later went on to bomb Pearl Harbour. Wink
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I've first watched this years ago on YouTube.
Me to, there wasn't even any subtitles at the time, so i had no idea what was going on.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Now that is a pick
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The oldest licensed anime are some of late 20s-early 30s which is even streaming on CR and has seen a home video release.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty amazing pick up and something I would have never thought Funimation would get. I'm gonna have to get this, makes for a nice piece of history.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Joshua Taylor"]I don't think anyone is going to watch it.

Funimation what were you thinking?[/quote]

Are you kidding? This is the first time in [i]years[/i] I'll be watching something from FUNi.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Taylor wrote:
I don't think anyone is going to watch it.

Funimation what were you thinking?

I guarantee you, there are enough academic libraries out there that will buy this that Funi will cover its investment even if no regular viewers pick it up.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
As a millennial whose grandfather fought during WWII, I am disgusted that Funimation picked up this film for an American license. They ought to be ashamed of themeselves.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
As a millennial whose grandfather fought during WWII, I am disgusted that Funimation picked up this film for an American license. They ought to be ashamed of themeselves.

and how do you think the Japanese must feel with all those animated shorts of such iconic characters like Bugs Bunny,Daffy Duck,Popeye,Donald Duck and Superman portraying them as villains,drawn as caricature stereotypes and being called "Japanese" (auto-censor doesn't let me write it,but it's THAT slang.)?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

and how do you think the Japanese must feel with all those animated shorts of such iconic characters like Bugs Bunny,Daffy Duck,Popeye,Donald Duck and Superman portraying them as villains,drawn as caricature stereotypes and being called "Japanese" (auto-censor doesn't let me write it,but it's THAT slang.)?

I'm sure they'd feel the same way. However, the Disney and WB cartoons made during that time period are banned here while a Japanese film made at a time before Japan became our ally? That's way out of line.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I'm sure they'd feel the same way. However, the Disney and WB cartoons made during that time period are banned here while a Japanese film made at a time before Japan became our ally? That's way out of line.

Disney and WB didn't ban them.They got DVD releases (but with a proper warning that it may contain offensive content due to the time and context they were made.)
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

Disney and WB didn't ban them.They got DVD releases (but with a proper warning that it may contain offensive content due to the time and context they were made.)

And yet this movie probably won't get a warning. Kind of a double standard, don't you think?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
And yet this movie probably won't get a warning. Kind of a double standard, don't you think?
And it's also possible that Funi will place a similar warning. We won't know yet until this is actually released, so is it really fair to call out "double standard" quite yet?

I think this is a rather interesting pick-up. Yes, I can understand that it can be seen as offensive, but it's also a piece of history that should be viewed. I say the same with the Censored 11, Song of the South, and other pieces of film and animation that are also considered offensive. We shouldn't hide and pretend that things like this don't exist because of their content. They should be viewed and treated as the historical features they are and be used as an entertaining teaching tool.

Hopefully this works out well for Funi, and maybe we might be able to see other releases of older Japanese animation here in the US.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

What makes you assume it won't? Certainly, it would be in Funimation's best interests to make the presentation as tasteful as possible.

If Triumph of the Will can receive a Blu-ray release in the U.S., I see no reason why this shouldn't. You can't understand history by ignoring primary sources, even ones with unpleasant implications.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I'm not sure why that would give you any special standing. I was born before the war was over. I'm named for an uncle who's bones are still on Leyte. I have no special status to comment either. The war is over and we won. We can afford to look at stuff like this and smile. This is nothing more than historical trivia. It is not worth your outrage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3