• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Arcadia of My Youth, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer Films, More Lupin Spe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this Beautiful Dreamer announcement just reminds me of how much I want to be able to legally watch the Urusei Yatsura show...or read the manga...something...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
... Sad also DMP is not doing so hot right now even with the Tezuka manga ...

Something DID happen, for sure, but what... well... I'm a backer of their Kodomo no Jikan kickstarter, and 3 days ago there was this one ominous post from them in the comments. Nothing since;
Quote:
Hello, I am the new contact for this Kickstarter, this sudden transition as left me a little dazed, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.
If you have sent any questions in the past month or so, they may have become lost in the void my predecessors had left behind. Please feel free to ask the same question again if you have not received a response yet.

So,... what the heck happened? Going by earlier posts/updates/comments, their PeCChi imprint should already have been under new hands/management, so something like this was definitely not expected...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I will definitely be picking up Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer on blu-ray. One of my favorite anime movies of all time.

I've still GOT my old CPM disk (with a subtitled commentary by Mamoru Oshii), but whatever Discotek's planning, I know it'll be better. Mr. Green
(For one thing, Discotek always uses archive dubs, so they'll still use CPM's dub which...wasn't all that bad, really, for a sight-reading that hadn't watched the original TV series, and dubbed the characters as they appeared in the movie.)
Besides, CPM was always a bit heavy on the DNR, and it could use some Blu-ray remastering from a newer Japanese/film source.

moroboshi-kun wrote:
Now I figure I just have to sit here and wait for all of Urusei Yatsura to be released on Blu. I figure it'll happen aaaaaany minute now.
Any minute...

Well, Viz did announce they were finally finishing off Ranma 1/2, that's what brought up my earlier question about their hints of getting the whole Rumiko Trilogy...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Always good to have more Lupin III. I already own Island of Assassins on DVD, but I may double-dip sometime down the road. I really have my eye on that Part II TV series, though. Some of my favorite Lupin-related material is in that show, and I always enjoyed the English dub cast, despite the excess of liberties the scripts took. I only wish they could have dubbed the whole thing. Ah well.

I'd like to know when Part IV/the Blue Jacket series is coming out, though. That's another must-have for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Beautiful Dreamer finally receiving a release will only raise further questions about the fate of Angel's Egg. Let us hope Tokyopop's faux pas earlier this year was not an indelible one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
There was also the not-particularly-great DVD release from 1998 that CPM/US Manga Corps released through Image. The version that had the Sci-Fi Network truncated credits.

Sounds like Discotek is (as usual) building this one from scratch:
Not sure on whether there's a new completed hi-def/film-source remaster, but the Otakon presentation featured the announcement image with:
- Both sub and dub
- Found original dub master tapes and pulled audio from that source
- Subtitles have been given a new coat of polish
- Other features TBD!

Yep, sounds good. Anime smile
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd like to know when Part IV/the Blue Jacket series is coming out, though. That's another must-have for me.

In Nov. in the UK with a dub & I hope late this year or early next in the US.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JGOY204/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm real excited about all those Blu-ray releases, especially Arcadia of My Youth.

But the thing that really made my jaw drop was Chargeman Ken. This show is legendary in Japan for being the Worst Anime Ever. People love to watch it ironically just for the lulz.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

In Nov. in the UK with a dub & I hope late this year or early next in the US.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JGOY204/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea Lupin Part IV was coming out in the UK relatively soon... though I don't see any mention of a dub on Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea Lupin Part IV was coming out in the UK relatively soon... though I don't see any mention of a dub on Amazon.

Part II's cast is back too! I could not find the link where I read Anime Limited licensed it, but I'm still looking. Update Sorry I'm not sure if the UK edition has the dub but it has been commissioned in the US.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/01/14-1/veteran-dub-actor-indicates-return-for-lupin-the-3rd-part4
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?56971-Anime-Limited-licenses-Lupin-the-Third-Part-IV

Last edited by traffiktiger on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, most of Part II's dub cast is back. The guy who played Zenigata is retired, I believe. But Oliver, Epcar, Lang, and Ruff are back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
Part II's cast is back too! I'm sorry I could not find the link where I read Anime Limited licensed it, but I'm still looking.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/01/14-1/veteran-dub-actor-indicates-return-for-lupin-the-3rd-part4
That... is simply incredible. I love the Part II dub! Can't believe I wasn't aware of this yet.
I usually don't buy collector editions because they're too pricey for me, but I think I'll make an exception for this one now that you've informed me of the dub. Seriously can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Hooray Beautiful Dreamer on Blu-ray!!

I.hope it sells well enough for the first film to be licence as well.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
]That... is simply incredible. I love the Part II dub! Can't believe I wasn't aware of this yet.
I usually don't buy collector editions because they're too pricey for me, but I think I'll make an exception for this one now that you've informed me of the dub. Seriously can't wait!

Sorry. I'm not sure if the UK edition has the dub but it has been commissioned in the US. I will have to keep my eye on it because I already preorder it anyway. http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?56971-Anime-Limited-licenses-Lupin-the-Third-Part-IV
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
Sorry. I'm not sure if the UK edition has the dub but it has been commissioned in the US. I will have to keep my eye on it because I already preorder it anyway. http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?56971-Anime-Limited-licenses-Lupin-the-Third-Part-IV
I'll wait that one out and see whether they'll include the dub or not. I mean, it better be included, otherwise it will feel like an incomplete release.

I'll keep an eye on it as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5