• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akame ga Kill! Manga Ends in 15th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.

People complained about the anime, but the manga was even worse. You know, "Gravity Falls" had a Hot Topic parody called 'Edgy on Purpose,' which would sum up this series rather well. The series would exceed FMA 2003 in terms of being needlessly dark for the sake of being needlessly dark. There's a scene where spoiler[somebody gets raped by a dog], another where a widow and her daughter get spoiler[raped on the grave of their dead loved one], and as someone mentioned before, Champ's character began and ended with "I'm an evil rapist!" Another problem is that the villains are so cartoonishly and one-dimensionally evil, you'd swear Cory Doctorow wrote this series.
VPedge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
G_Spark233 wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
I feel that AgK is one of those series that try to be edgy by killing off the main characters but I'm satisfied with where the anime ended, it could have been worse. Yeah I'm looking at you current AgK manga.

But the current manga is pretty much the anime done better...

Currently not really
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Well I liked AgK anime. I mean sure, it had some bad moments, and some really bad moments. But over all, it was a pretty good anime.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Why is most of the comments here base on the anime performance/ending when this about the manga ending this winter xD.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
in terms of being needlessly dark for the sake of being needlessly dark

There is nothing wrong with darkness depicted in anime. Considering the setting and the civil war, one could say that there wasn't enough darkness depicted.

Really, this show has nothing when compared to what the Nazi's and the Soviet's did to each other and their conquered territories during and after WWII.

Akame ga Kill! started out as a violent and dark show, and it ended that way. Even Night Raid knew and accepted who they were.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Man, is this series THAT bad? I was going to get into the series but now I'm very hesitant
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's not far off. I enjoyed both that manga and the anime. But then again I'm one of those people that doesn't put a show on a pedestal. I just don't set my expectations that high. I just go in and enjoy it. If like it then I like it because it's entertaining. Because we all know that even the most thought provoking of shows are not going to be liked by everyone. But come on folks, it's just show. I mean hasn't anyone learned by now that anime is nothing more than a tie in to sell the book. If the book is a popular read then it gets a show. Even if it's not done. We've seen this time and time again and it's nothing new. But sure there's a case that the anime could end it well but it's kind of hard when the author is still writing the book and sometimes much is left up to studio to have some freedom to do whatever they want sometimes with the author's approval. And folks still complain that it should have been this way or it should have been that way.

Look I can't stand Chrono Crusade. I hate it but folks loved that crap to death. Thought it was the best crap they ever saw. There was an interview in the comic when ADV had published the books asking the author what he thought of the show. And like proper PR he didn't even say much other than he wasn't involved. They ended it however they wanted and that was it. But most people who worshipped the anime have NEVER even bothered reading the manga at all so they couldn't voice which was better. But more took the anime ending over the manga ending. I personally enjoyed the manga ending mainly because of the art. I had to learn and accept that things aren't going to turn out the way you want them. And I understand that. But sometimes I think folks expect too much. Hey we've all been there.

I like Akame ga Kill, it's probably not the best and certainly not the worse. It's just entertaining. I'm glad that there is a end date for this book. I only hope that the author will be able to end it out as best as he can.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
Man, is this series THAT bad? I was going to get into the series but now I'm very hesitant

It's a pretty good series IMO. Please stop hesitating just because random people on the Internet tell you it's not. That's something everyone should decide for themselves.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
A bit controversial here, but on the topic of being dark and rape, a few series like Berserk or Gunslinger Girl actually know how to utilize them well, giving the readers how well the characters have developed and their motivations. AgK tried those elements and it didn't work, one of those that undermines the value of human lives and has one of those that have nasty antagonists being evil for the sake of being nasty antagonists. It's cringy, gets old really fast and contributes nothing.

Killing off your main characters and rape can be used well without being edgy, AgK isn't the definition of this. I mean I remember when BvS came out, a lot of people complained that fans hate it for being dark even though they love TDK. The difference is that TDK was befefit because it was well made while BvS and AgK are just edgy while trying too hard to be appealing.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Eh, I enjoyed the anime ending quite a bit. I think it streamlined a lot of stuff that made the manga feel too drawn out (such as the Wild Hunt arc) and I think the ending felt right for the story and the themes it had set up, without falling into trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy territory like the manga did.

Neither version is a masterpiece but I feel like the anime's ending is a good example of a show concluding in a decisive way without a manga ending to adapt.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

There is nothing wrong with darkness depicted in anime. Considering the setting and the civil war, one could say that there wasn't enough darkness depicted.

Really, this show has nothing when compared to what the Nazi's and the Soviet's did to each other and their conquered territories during and after WWII.

Akame ga Kill! started out as a violent and dark show, and it ended that way. Even Night Raid knew and accepted who they were.

thanks, a lot of people seem to be missing that, hell, they even miss the fact that takahiro is an unimaginative author full of references, how yukiyuna is full of "stuff that the madoka creators wantd to put there but did not because it was cut to one coeur instead of two" ; in kame ga kill's case, being references to old shounen action manga like hokuto no ken,

but then again recently we got a lot of regarding muvluv and how it was unrealistic that germany would be split in east and west after the world war, lol.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ah, the typical discussion of Manga is better than Anime. I always say that if the anime is fine, you shouldn´t say the manga is better. Because it has more content doesn´t mean it´s better. That´s the case with the FMA franchise.

In this case though, some people say the manga it´s better just because some of their favorite characters are alive, there are some love shippings, and some things are written different than the anime, EVEN WHEN NONE OF THAT S**T MAKES THE MANGA ANY BETTER.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
Desertking22 wrote:

It's a pretty good series IMO. Please stop hesitating just because random people on the Internet tell you it's not. That's something everyone should decide for themselves.

^Thank you..

Believe it or not AgK is in my top 10. Enjoyed the anime, as I should, up until the studio started making changes (still hard to believe Takahiro approved of this?) and had its anime original ending. Still hoping it gets the "Brotherhood" treatment. But the manga has been nothing short of enjoyable as well. To anyone saying it's being dark for the sake of being dark, currently or not too long ago what have you, you knew exactly what you were getting into. C'mon now. This manga didn't start yesterday. I have my critiques just like anyone else, but those pertain to things CURRENTLY ongoing. Like spoiler[Leone, no matter what, having to die by the hands of the minister or Wave returning to the capital after sending him in the best possible way..honestly Takahiro why don't you just re-create the anime in your manga because it seems like it's heading there anyway? At least then you could put those "did the anime really just spoil the manga" talks to rest....]

Here's to hoping in these last few months spoiler[Mine wakes up and Tatsumi's original thoughts of there being a Teigu/Imperial Arms that can bring back the dead comes true.] I'm an optimist when it comes to my one of my favorite series, what can I say?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I have to ask the question how in the hell it did so well in Toonami when the last few episode were so shit.

They did a great job on marketing it. A lot of people most likely never heard of the show and tune in every week to watch it. I didn't know what Akame Ga Kill was until last year when it started on Toonami. I don't remember it being talked about that much online. Tokyo Ghoul, Kill la Kill and Parasyte had more buzz for it at the time.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:

No, it isn't bad at all. It's just one of those shows that all the cool kids on the internet with their sophisticated Shakespearean sensibilities decided is the in thing to bash this year.

I watched it with no prior knowledge and wound up enjoying it quite a bit; I'd rank it as one of my top favorties from the past 10 years. The style of it feels like a throwback to the more intense 90s anime, which is a welcome shift in my opinion. The pacing and continuity of the anime is somewhat flawed toward the end, but more anime than not seem to have similar or worse issues nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3