• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Berseria

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only person who actually prefers Zestiria over this game, but that's usually how it goes, hahaha. I must have terrible taste!

I think the biggest problem for me is I've never liked revenge stories, unless they're done in a comedy setting. I find Velvet to have no depth other than "I'm angry" and that's a shame, because I think she could be a great character. I'm a little disappointed they went the cliche route of her being really cheerful and perky before she changed, instead of giving her any interesting layers from the get-go, but oh well. Granted, I'm still in what I would assume to be the very early parts of the game, but it's disappointing. Laphicet is adorable, I'll give them that.

I'm not a fan of the battle system. That might be because I admit I'm not the greatest player, but fighting any hordes of weaker enemies is tedious, since you have to wait for your souls to replenish, and they yield almost zero XP since the mobs are considerably under leveled compared to the boss of that region. They're not tough, just repetitive. I found myself skipping enemy hordes, which I hate doing. Zestiria had a similar problem though. Fighting a boss or one strong enemy is really fun, though.

I also think releasing Beseria first (which has been better-received) and Zestiria second (could be a fine game with a bit more time) would have been a wiser move...but hey, what do I know?
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
As you wish, and it includes endgame spoilers too, so let me hide it so no one else finds out: spoiler[You will slowly be taking apart the religion Artorius created bit by bit as you progress, and because of your actions in the end, humans can longer see Malaks (who later get renamed to Seraphim in Zestiria). Basically, Velvet and company's actions are why humans can't see Seraphim in the future and why the two races grow apart from each other. Incidentally, the malevolence became more apparent because you brought an end to the comfort the people found in Artorius's religion].

Yeah. A few of his Zestiria pieces are reused in Berseria, but there's no new music from him sadly.

Many thanks.

spoiler[Couldn't tell from your description whether the main characters were in the right in what they had ultimately brought about. Though from your description, I'd have to make a huge educated guess that Artorius' religion was evil and thus was necessary.

That might be the dealbreaker for me in this case, though to be honest that was kind of what I expected though I was hoping Zestiria's smarter more unique writing would have inverted this overdone trope. I am quite tired of killing religion in videogames.]

Quite okay with reused tracks. Go Shiina is still Go Shiina, though I was REALLY hoping for an epic track to try to top Zestiria's Rising Up, which is still one of my favourite story-gameplay integration fights in a videogame.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Many thanks.

spoiler[Couldn't tell from your description whether the main characters were in the right in what they had ultimately brought about. Though from your description, I'd have to make a huge educated guess that Artorius' religion was evil and thus was necessary.

That might be the dealbreaker for me in this case, though to be honest that was kind of what I expected though I was hoping Zestiria's smarter more unique writing would have inverted this overdone trope. I am quite tired of killing religion in videogames.]

Quite okay with reused tracks. Go Shiina is still Go Shiina, though I was REALLY hoping for an epic track to try to top Zestiria's Rising Up, which is still one of my favourite story-gameplay integration fights in a videogame.

You're welcome.

Put it to you this way: spoiler[Artorius's grand master plan was to have Innominat rob everyone on the planet of their emotions so malevolence couldn't ever happen again, since malevolence is born from intense emotions (as Zestiria showed us time and again). No emotions of any kind means malevolence literally can't exist, so while his intentions were understandable, they were misguided in that "everyone should have an empty heart filled with nothingness so the world will never suffer again". Of course, the people who took comfort in his religion obviously weren't in on that detail, so it's definitely a religion borne of misguided ideals and the typical keeping the ignorant lambs in the dark about it].

I always get a kick out of hearing Testing the Passionate Bonds myself, so I hear you there. Shiina seems to be more famous for his work on the God Eater games now as his Tales work is pretty sparse.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Is the camera broken, like in Zestiria, where it was broken for single-player and utterly unusable for multiplayer? In Zestiria, if you played multiplayer then player 2 would literally not be oncamera most of the time and there was NO way to fix that.

It's still a little wonky, but not too bad. They also make it real easy to center the camera. Overall it's way better than Zestiria

Ah, thanks.

Overall, I think it's good that Zestiria got an anime, since I'd recommend the anime over playing it. In addition to the camera, the rococo weapon crafting system was annoying in Zestiria, although I'm of two minds about spoiler[continuing to find and craft weapons for a character that was never coming back.]
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I've never played a single Tales game before, but I might just give this one a shot. I like the sound of the story and the design of the protagonist is really cool. And I'm not just referring to the underboob (though that is a nice bonus).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Haven't gotten past the prologue portion of the game yet, but the character designs are pretty nice.

It probably is my old laptop, but everyone moves slow, including the pauses between talking. No slowness is battle though.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I am liking it so far.

Feels pretty much the same as Zestiria and I enjoyed that game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2