• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Restaurant to Another World Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
I think the simplest solution here is to wait for Rebecca's review on the first dubbed ep. if things play out like last season, her first ep preview will be moved to the top in the preview guide and have an additional paragraph that talks about the simuldub. or you could just simply wait for social media to blow up.

Though, considering its not a comedy, I think this one is fine. Maybe a few bizarre colloquialisms once in awhile, but likely nothing as serious as completely changing the script

Honestly your post brings up a good point that got me thinking. Considering how every single one of the fantasy realm characters shown so far are somehow master critics of the culinary arts, able to give in depth reviews on dishes many of them never seen or tasted before, I don't think bizarre colloquialisms will be that much of a stretch logically speaking. Obviously not giving them carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want, but they do have some wiggle room to work with.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
What were the lines in Dragon Maid that got people so riled up exactly? I never watched that series.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
What were the lines in Dragon Maid that got people so riled up exactly? I never watched that series.

There are two that I know of.

The first is in one of the early scenes in episode 1 where Tohru declares that she loves Kobayashi. In the SUB Kobayashi response is "But I'm a Girl" where as in the DUB she says "But I'm not into Girls."

The other is in a later episode (11 i think?) Tohru greets Lucoa at the door and notices she's where a different outfit when asked why she changed Lucoa responds in the SUB with something along the lines of "I got sick of people staring at me." whereas in the DUB she says something along the lines of "Silly Patriarchal rules parented that I change."

That's it, look up some clips and form your own opinions.

----
PERSONAL OPINION BELOW (This is just my interpretation, I encourage you to watch clips and make your own judgement.)

The line in episode 1 is negligible at best, I'd actually argue that the DUB line is more inclusive than the SUB line which seems to imply that being a girl disqualifies Tohru and Kobayashi from being allowed to be in love and that lesbian relationships aren't really looked highly upon in Kobayashi's eyes, the DUB line would seem to imply Kobayashi is fine with homosexual relationships, just that she herself is not Homosexual. One Theme of the show is Kobayashi growing as a person, understanding love and by proxy her own sexuality. IMO people got upset for the sake of getting upset on that one, at worst it's an attempt to translate a cliche that wouldn't have worked so well in english.

The latter line with Lucoa doesn't really make sense and a different translation was probably warranted, but if you watch the scene, the tone Marchi is giving her portrayal of Lucoa as well as Tohru's dry response that "They'll be begging you to change back in a week" leads me to believe that scene was meant to play as a joke and just fell flat. It'll probably get changed in the home release but people really blew that line up and got worked up over nothing.
-----

Now then Enough about Dragon Maid let's try and get back on topic, this is a news article about Restaurant to Another World, I understand that Jamie being the writer of both shows makes it a valid topic, but we should try and refocus the thread.
Teraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It's really funny how Jamie Marchi has been """""ruining""""" scripts for 10 or so years but people only now started caring because someone on Twitter threw a tantrum about one line two months after the episode aired. The people who think Dragon Maid was a problem would have an aneurysm if they saw an episode of, say, Hetalia or Sgt. Frog dubbed. That's why I have a really hard time believing people who say "I was fine with her dubs until Dragon Maid". Either they haven't seen the other shows she's worked on or their priorities are massively skewed if they think complete rewrites and inserting jokes where there were none before are OK but using the word "patriarchal" is crossing the line.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
It's really funny how Jamie Marchi has been """""ruining""""" scripts for 10 or so years but people only now started caring because someone on Twitter threw a tantrum about one line two months after the episode aired. The people who think Dragon Maid was a problem would have an aneurysm if they saw an episode of, say, Hetalia or Sgt. Frog dubbed. That's why I have a really hard time believing people who say "I was fine with her dubs until Dragon Maid". Either they haven't seen the other shows she's worked on or their priorities are massively skewed if they think complete rewrites and inserting jokes where there were none before are OK but using the word "patriarchal" is crossing the line.

I would give you gold if I could. I forgot this wasn't Reddit.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Alright everyone let's stop with the offtopic "Jamie Marchi is ruining dub scripts" debate shall we.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
I like hearing more of Stephanie Young's voice. I liked role her work as Kazehana ("Sekirei"). I think it's a toss up between her, Alexis Tipton, and Jeannie Tirado (among others) for the Funi voice actress with the sexiest voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2