• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: William Winckler Productions Announces English-Dubbed Pilots of PriPara, Net Ghost PiPoPa Anim

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm more surprised that the original character names were all kept.

Why? Dubs have been doing that for years.

Not so for dubs of kids anime. Even Doraemon, Japan's anime cultural icon, got name changes for the dub. However, to be fair, some dubs of kids anime within the past few years have retained the original names instead of changing them, as proven by the dubs of Beyblade (since the Metal Fusion series), Future Card Buddyfight, and Cardfight!! Vanguard.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mireille

Did William Winckler Productions also confirm this spelling? Mirei's not French; she's Japanese. "Mirei" is also the official spelling. The only place you'll see "Mireille" (unless William Winckler Productions actually is using it for some reason) is in fansubs.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Since I know NOTHING of these three shows, the most interesting piece of news this has for me is that they got Sarah Emi Bridcutt in an english dub.

It's worth noting she voices the same character, Eiko, in the Japanese version. She voices various other characters, too, like the girl who speaks to Meganee immediately after Lala gets her PriTicket in episode one (the members of i☆Ris identify her in the cast commentary, referring to her as Bri-chan).
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I hope they don't just leave them to rot on Amazon streaming like Minky Momo. (Say, what happened to Minky Momo? The compilation films aren't even on Amazon anymore.)

I’d like to know about the status of Minky Momo myself, they were up for a very short period. I bought several of them but, I missed out on the last four compilations I think. Of course at one point the colour timing was off for several of the movies so Momo became a very dark red head and everything that was yellow hilariously turned pink. William Winckler Productions does communicate on Facebook though so I suppose anybody could try and ask about either of those issues. It’s a real shame, Minky Momo is such a classic magical girl show. The dub is even pretty fun.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
William Winckler Productions does communicate on Facebook though so I suppose anybody could try and ask about either of those issues.

They're also on Twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2