• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I'm sure this comparison has come up in the forum before, but this show has nothing on the reactions from Yakitate Japan!! That's how you do food reactions right.

Well the reactions there are even more over the top and take being ridiculous to a whole new level
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Man that episode was good. Maybe I never noticed it before but this show has some pretty great music. The first chair's theme song in particular was fantastic.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's good to see that the director from Assassination Classroom was finally able to find a new job.

But "evil daddy" is such a cliché and i don't think Erina really needed a tragic backstory in order to become more likable, though i guess it wouldn't be shounen without some good old daddy issues...
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Erina is not a character that I want to know more. But after seeing this episode I am courious about her relationship with her father.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be fun in more ways than one. Now its a question of how much they can adapt in a single episode without rushing things too much
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Just to note that Azami is a Nakiri by marriage not blood so taking away the family name is a little different it's not as though he was disowned by his biological family. It's Erina's mother that is the connection to her grandfather. The opposite is true of Alice, her father is the direct line.

So Alice's Dad and Erina's Mom were siblings, not Azami.

Also the Third seat, the big guy with the knit hat, also didn't vote to bring Azami in.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Azamis voice actor is just perfect for him and I'm now getting used to Erinas new voice actress so great episode.

Azami is a perfect villain for me, reading the manga I genuinely despise him which doesn't sound that abnormal for a villain but so many villains in other series I like because they're badass or their personalites tick the right boxes for me, that makes them a bad villain because I am rooting for them but here Azami is just vile.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
"Even if Erina never becomes likable"

Please, Erina was always likeable and very popular between the the fans, more than Megumi, she even beat Souma in the last characters popularity poll in the manga, i know that is your opinion but you put in the headline like if it's a overall opinion, and starting with this episode, she will only get better and better at the point that she turns into probably, the best developed character in the series.
Fuutsunahito

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
"Even if Erina never becomes likable"

Please, Erina was always likeable and very popular between the the fans, more than Megumi, she even beat Souma in the last characters popularity poll in the manga, i know that is your opinion but you put in the headline like if it's a overall opinion, and starting with this episode, she will only get better and better at the point that she turns into probably, the best developed character in the series.

Exactly. I hate how misleading that headline is. It’s an opinion, not a fact. Please don’t do stuff like this. Erina’s character has always been more compelling and this upcoming development is easily the best in this series, this is why she is actually so likeable and popular among fans
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I mean, if we go from the anime alone, one can see where the reviewer is coming from. That said, yeah, as of now, Erina is more or less the 1# Girl in Shokugeki no Souma (Has been for a while tbh).

PS:She's been my #1 since the very beginning because Megumi's hair pisses me off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
i know that is your opinion but you put in the headline like if it's a overall opinion

First, I don't think Rebecca chooses the pull-quote (which isn't exactly a "headline"), but even if she does, it's in quotation marks, so it's clear it's a quote from the review, which as you say, you (and everyone else) know it's her opinion and not an ANN editorial statement of fact. You sound like you're just looking for something to complain about. But what you're actually saying is that you're savvy enough to know it's only an opinion, but other people are so stupid they'll take it as gospel, and if that happens, then.... I don't know, what does happen? They read the review? They don't read the review? They come away with the "wrong" opinion?

As for the episode, I've always enjoyed watching the series, but never felt much more than meh about the whole thing. But this episode turned everything on its head, and for the first time I really sat up and was glued to the screen in the last half. As far as I'm concerned this is the shot in the arm the series has long needed, though I understand that it's not something they could've really done from the start, without first establishing a slew of characters and relationships.

It's also the first time I've been eager to see what comes next. Bring it on, Azami!
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
24 episodes... Ohhh we're in anime heaven aren't we?

Who doesn't like Erina-sama? She's lovely. She's a Tsundere princess. I loved her from the 1st episode.

You'll learn why she acts the way she does this season. So excited. Can't believe they're doing 24 episodes. Almost wished that they split it in 2 12-episode seasons to give the manga the chance to finish the arc.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as another who liked Erina from the very beginning of the anime. She's one among many I like in the franchise, but her and Hisako are probably among my favorites as I really like the development they get over the course of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
Well I have generally disliked Erina, because at least up to now she has been a snob, who's attitude goes against her grandfather's fighting spirit, and Soma's father, like she somehow managed to. In general I have been more positive this season as people have become a lot less hostile to Soma, even Hisako has been friendly to Soma, much to the surprise of Erina herself who seemed to think they still were both hating him. Many Soma's maybe old rivals but now friends helped him with his restaurant at a time, and they all respect each other, and from what we have seen even some of the new Elite 10 have some respect for him. It has made Erina's attitude all the more obvious.

I was much more of a big fan of Alice, who really does not give off he impression of looking down on people for things like class, despite being Erina's cousin. She herself has her own quirky behaviour, and seems more likely to try something she is unfamiliar with. She can be pushy, but it is often in the way to try something new, while Erina has just looked down on others, pushed them away, while somewhat showing that she wonders why, relying on a servant instead of actually treating her like a friend. Hisako having more growth than her so far. It is still in my mind that Erina was not going to let Soma into the school because she did not like him, and not on the basis of his cooking like she was supposed to. She deserves a not very nice name for that, with nothing yet to redeem it.

I think that it is fair that for a lot of us has not yet become likable, but taken a step to be understandable.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
I can understand why people would dislike Erina so far, but saying she becomes one of the most likable character in the show, would be an understatement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10