• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America Apologizes for Ys VIII Localization, Announces Free Patch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtisd88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
I haven’t heard anything about the translation yet... Was it really that awful?

Awful? No. But noticeable and distracting at times? Yes. There were certain words either misspelled or missing entirely. This happened for about 10% of the game so you won't see it all the time but that's no excuse.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
People over at r/Falcom sent abunch of emails to Falcom and it actually got covered on some Japanese news website: http://jp.automaton.am/articles/newsjp/20171006-55650/, so I would like to think that this is our saviors over at Falcom responding and telling NISA to fix it, not them wanting to fix it on their own accord.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
People over at r/Falcom sent abunch of emails to Falcom and it actually got covered on some Japanese news website: http://jp.automaton.am/articles/newsjp/20171006-55650/, so I would like to think that this is our saviors over at Falcom responding and telling NISA to fix it, not them wanting to fix it on their own accord.

Yeah, NISA knows that Xseed is chomping at the bit to get Ys back, so this is in large part probably being done out of fear that Falcom may decide the publisher switch was a mistake.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
English is not my first language, so for me It wasn't that terribile (the irony of being a little ignorant!), but if they fix at least the worst errors It can only bè a good thing!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Is it so hard to just have a nice localization that make people sound like people and not so literal/vanilla? NISA has this more so, but Persona 5 let me down with some of that knowing Atlus does so much better with localizations.

Oh come on now, Persona 5's translation/localization was perfectly fine. Sure, maybe if you look at every line under a microscope then you can find a couple of awkward lines to hack together a clickbait piece for Kotaku or Polygon or whoever, but there wasn't anything that was immediately noticeable while I was actually playing the game.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47, take a look at the press release hyperlinked in the 1st paragraph of this article.
In that hyperlink, there's a part that stays:
Quote:
"As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game including updating voicework to reflect these changes. "
[/quote]
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Unacceptable localization especially with a game that Laxia is in. Instead of getting it right the first time, you now have to do it again when you could have been working on something else. I hope this is a lesson to each publisher to get it right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2