• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD Hero Anime's Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
for the ones that have alreaqyd read the novels; withthematerial shown in teh pv we can consider the previsu season retconned ? I heard that the novel had an arc that explicitly retcons the previous anime season, so I wonder if this one is continuing after that,
Vizo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting the softer animation but I still look forward to this. I think 2017 was a great year for anime but 2018 might top it. Very Happy
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Shit, this is really a step down from Junji Goto's godly stuff. If they don't have similar eyecatches I'm done. I was already on the outs with the franchise because I know how ridiculous the harem situation gets in later novels so this might be what I needed.

But that’s part of what makes the whole series fun, in my opinion. If that’s something that would’ve bothered you that much, maybe this series wasn’t meant for you in the first place. Oh well, it’s a series not for everyone and that’s fine.

Anyway, the characters look different, that’s for sure. If what some people are saying that this art style is closer to the light novels than what we’ve been getting the last 3 seasons is true, than I can learn to live with it. I’m not all that bothered by it, to be honest, unlike some people here in this thread and the one before this article, but I just have some nostalgia for the old art style as it was one of the first anime I had ever watched. I will miss it, but more DxD anime (that looks nice and smooth as this PV demonstrates and the Japanese voice cast remains intact) is what ultimately is important and I’m very much looking forward to season 4. Very Happy

Also, I heard from some random people on the internet that they jokingly predicted the new subtitle to be Baby so that New Born Baby is what one would get after putting all the subtitles together. It’s Hero this time around, and I wonder what the next subtitle it would be if a season 5 comes to exist.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime-only DxD aficionados are in for a treat.

No more bs. Great fights and story awaits us. Don't spoil yourselves. Don't try to learn more just wait for the anime.

Long Live The Oppai Dragon. Long Live DxD
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kind of iffy on the softer character designs.

Just hoping it doesn't go the way of Rail Wars, considering that staff. That was a bad show and I felt like they really didn't really like the source material, considering how much it ignored it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

But that’s part of what makes the whole series fun, in my opinion. If that’s something that would’ve bothered you that much, maybe this series wasn’t meant for you in the first place. Oh well, it’s a series not for everyone and that’s fine.

I do have a pretty high tolerance for harem stuff but I have my limits. In the first place I'm against actual harems. Issei's desire for one would normally be written as a childish fantasy that he eventually grows out of when he finds his one true love, but the franchise appears to have every intention of seeing it fulfilled. Factor in some of the ridiculous power level BS I've read about it was always my intension to enjoy what I could before it became too much for me.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

I do have a pretty high tolerance for harem stuff but I have my limits. In the first place I'm against actual harems. Issei's desire for one would normally be written as a childish fantasy that he eventually grows out of when he finds his one true love, but the franchise appears to have every intention of seeing it fulfilled. Factor in some of the ridiculous power level BS I've read about it was always my intension to enjoy what I could before it became too much for me.

If you believe it's too much... you know where the door is. The series IS going towards that direction, so no amount of complaining is going to change it.

Also @maximilianjenus It's not that the novels retcon it. Highschool DxD EX came WITH the BD's explicitly retconing them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
If you believe it's too much... you know where the door is. The series IS going towards that direction, so no amount of complaining is going to change it.

I know, which is why I've been saying that was my intention from the start.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Man I am loving this art style SO MUCH MORE. I love DxD but always hated how pointy everything was. Especially in the faces. Now with everything much rounder, the girls look far cuter.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
allenrl43 wrote:
The Author confirmed that it will cover volumes 9 and 10. Volume 8 is a sees of short stories.

I really hope they cover at least one Volume 8 side-story early in the first half of Hero (specifically spoiler[The Fun Gremory Family - it's a fantastic setup for what happens in Volume 10]).
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
While I did like the old artstyle, this one is so sooooo much better. Looking forward to this!
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
F*CK YEAH! I've been waiting for this new season. I belong to the minority that actually likes this anime for the story lol. Very promising looking trailer
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
allenrl43 wrote:
The Author confirmed that it will cover volumes 9 and 10. Volume 8 is a sees of short stories.

I really hope they cover at least one Volume 8 side-story early in the first half of Hero (specifically spoiler[The Fun Gremory Family - it's a fantastic setup for what happens in Volume 10]).

Probably in an OVA theyve done it before so they can do it again....then again it was done by a different studio so...
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
Oh man this art looks like bad like the new animation for pokemon..
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
ShanaChanTT wrote:
Oh man this art looks like bad like the new animation for pokemon..

No, Its Not.

It allows for more fluid action scenes and animation in general. Designs that are too complex actually can make for worse animation overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3