• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyjin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I ran into one already, and thought it was an ad because it auto-played. I'd definitely turn off auto-playing if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The auto-play needs to be turned off by default. Neutral
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of them --- and won't really, unless there's a "hook" --- e.g., a headline or mention of what news might be covered in the video.

I know it's strange for someone coming to a news-site that reports on a visual medium like anime, but I really don't care to get my (news) information in video form. I come here to read (and look at illustrations).
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
My only I don't mind them being on the page, I'd just prefer it not autoplay, or if it does,it's muted
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Hate to say it, but they're extremely obnoxious. They don't seem to load properly in frame and they sound like a parody of those old Sentai Filmworks previews. Please stop them from auto-playing, at the very least.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LuluTheOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind them too much, as others have said though, I don't like the auto-play feature and don't really like where they're placed either. After I finish reading an article I often scroll down to see the comments which usually forces these videos to play when I don't want them to. But conversely, someone else who only reads the beginning of the article and doesn't scroll too far down will completely miss them, so I think you need to find a better place to put them. I think the banner at the top of the main page where you list "shelf life" and "ANN Cast" would be good. Put the video in there with an optional play button that starts the video and brings it to the center of the webpage and people can just click anywhere around it to send it away. I don't know a lot about website building so maybe that's not possible but nonetheless I definitely think they need the auto-play feature removed and to be put somewhere less obtrusive but also accessible.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Did not see until you mentioned. Like almost everyone else said, too easy to assume they are just ads. Not sure how loading this works when you're reading the site on a subway train, and only get actual wireless access at stations.

The voice basically makes me think of some guy on YouTube, or on local college radio. Can we see several different readings of the same scripts, and maybe vote for which kind we like best?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with prior posts noting that auto-play with sound is bothersome. I thought they were annoying ads and ignored them. I check the front page articles several times a week, so the videos also are redundant to me.

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Izuni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Should remove auto play and have an option to opt out of it.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Please stop the auto playing. I can't respect stuff that auto-play. It's distracting, it's disruptive and it removes agency from the viewer.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't see these. I subscribe, I have all ads turned on ( just checked ), but I do run Firefox with a lot of security stuff added to it. I would prefer to not have any AutoPlay of anything, and I would prefer to have an option to turn off altogether, in case I ever switch browsers.

I probably would have to see these to make a judgement for sure, but it does not sound like something I'd like. I try to turn off autoplay videos on all sites I use.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Just because I watch anime, does not mean I want to watch you talking about anime. If I wanted that, I'd be over at YouTube. I am not at YouTube because I don't want that. Why are you trying to be YouTube, or every other damn site who thinks you need friggin' video?

I can read faster than you can talk. Text is downloaded faster than video. Text can also be skimmed by a reader, whereas video is much more difficult to skim through to find what is interesting.

This addition significantly devalues the entire site, because now I don't know when you're going to throw a video at me next. Easier by far to simply never click an article again, and at best skim the headlines and do a search for another site where they actually provide news instead of videos.

If you're doing this because your web designers are bored and want to try something new and exciting, fire them. Unemployment will excite their minds and give them new and exciting things to do.
deaddeaddeads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what the video was. I thought it was some sort of self-ad.
I don't like the autoplay and clutters the pages. I personally don't care for the recaps and if you really wanted it to be featured and seen, add a link to the navigation bar instead or something.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Pretty much what everyone else has said: the videos are fine, but the autoplay is distracting. They would be better if you had to click on them before they played since not everyone wants to watch it when they scroll down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen any of these new ads and I'm glad to keep it that way, given how terrible of an idea it is. There's already enough ads consistently popping up at the bottom of the screen whenever you stop scrolling on mobile that can't be eliminated, so even more ads will only make this site worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9