• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 13 Terrifying Anime You Can Stream for Halloween This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to come out and say it to everyone,including Miss Loveridge. I'm not a horror fan. I don't like the blood and gore. It's stuff I really don't want to sit though and it's not really my thing. To be honest,stuff like "Scooby-Doo" are the closest things to horror I can reasonably stand although I do remember seeing a movie called "Saturday the 14th." when I was younger but stuff like the "Saw" films? No way. I'd avoid that stuff like the plague. Sorry,Ms. Loveridge. If you're going to binge watch a bunch of horror stuff,then count me out. It's nothing I want to put myself through.
But,if you guys want a horror anime,might I suggest "Little Pet Shop of Horrors?" It's about a detective who tries to solve a series of mysterious deaths that are all linked to a strange pet shop in L.A.'s Chinatown. For me,I rather watch stuff like "Soul Eater." That's more my speed,I think.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm sad to see that Jigoku Shoujo was not on this list, possibly under the 'Short Stories' category as many of those episodes feature single episode stories. I always thought it was extremely creepy when Ai would ask the victim if they "care to try dying for once". Some of the episodes were really well done, particularly those talking about Ai's past. It's definitely my go-to Halloween anime.

Hell Girl didn't feel like "horror", more like what passed for horror in the 00's, where we just cathartically watch Nasty People mechanically being offed for being social symbols of greediness and self-centeredness.

Cerceaux wrote:
I love Yamishibai. My favorite episodes are "Next Floor" and "Hair" from season one. Though it's low budget and more of a slideshow than an anime the stories can be quite creepy and atmospheric.

Yamishibai has some great "ghost-story" creepiness to it, when it's not getting too wrapped up in its own "ambiguous" endings to slam "The End" down before we know what the heck we were just scared by. (One more reason to pretend S4 never happened, as S5 was glad to do.)
The spartan quality of the animation actually gives it more of a "nightmare" quality, since our own dreams are spare and low-budget, and go wrong quickly before we're prepared for it.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
There isn’t a legal streaming option that I know of, but shout out to Kenji Nakamura's Mononoke. Don't think there's another anime that uses ambient sounds so effectively, not to mention the rest of it.

It’s currently available for legal streaming on Crunchyroll in the US, at least. Don’t know if you live there based on your comment, but just wanted to let others who didn’t know about it know now.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Shiki and Hellsing Ultimate as picks. I recommended both to a friend who is into vampire lore, basically as two very different takes, and he ended up liking both a lot.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Disappointed that Blood+, Phantom Blood, Blood-C (as bad as it was the gore was fine)...

Didn't care for Blood-C, but Blood + is on my all-time favorite series list and probably at least deserved a mention.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
I just want isekai to end. Now.

Meh. Like any sub-genre, it has its good titles and bad. Some are enjoyable, some less so. This year gave us Yujo Senki (IMHO, one of the best) and Isekai Smartphone (one of the worst), so in the long run it evens out. When they stop being popular, they'll move on to something else. But so long as the format is popular, they'll continue to capitalize on it. Which is fine with me.
noriah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty good stuff on the list.
Reminds me of what a shame it was that the anime adaptation of Pupa was so badly adapted, though. The manga was interesting though flawed, while the anime hardly showed any of the source's merits.

I think the biggest problem was that the premise was just inherently incompatible with such short episodes. I like plenty of short form comedy and iyashikei shows but I don't think it suited the world-building/atmospheric/suspense elements of Pupa. There just wasn't enough time to show rather than tell.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Disappointed that Blood+, Phantom Blood, Blood-C (as bad as it was the gore was fine), Ghost Hunt, Ghost Hound, King of Thorn weren't included.

Pretty sure that most (if not all) of those don't fit the requirement of "you can stream".
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised Tokyo Ghoul wasn't mentioned in the article or the forum! It gives me a strange satisfaction that Parasyte beat it as body horror in a way. Razz

Shiki is a fantastic show. Vampires are such a fun monster to play around with, there are so many different types of vampires in anime and manga. You got your Twilight-esque romances (Vampire Knight), your existential dread of the immortal, and my favorite, the vampire comedy with a twist (Karin/Chibi Vampire).
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Disappointed that Blood+, Phantom Blood, Blood-C (as bad as it was the gore was fine), Ghost Hunt, Ghost Hound, King of Thorn weren't included.

Pretty sure that most (if not all) of those don't fit the requirement of "you can stream".

Blood C is available on Viewster.

Blood + was on Viewster up until a few weeks ago, but now it seems to have disappeared.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
LOL Okay, who put "Giant Gila Monster" on the new poll?

MY all-time favorite horror anime is The DevilLady. When They Cry just makes me mad(as do all child endangerment shows/movies). From the List, Parasyte is my favorite horror anime.

"I sing whenever I sing, whenever I sing..."
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
Parasyte WAS pretty cool until it turned into pretentiously preachy garbage.

Isekai shows can be fun, like MOE shows, but they need to be well made.... like anything else, really, and they suffer more if they're not. Same with booby/fanservice shows. People are generally more forgiving with bad shows if they feel they aren't being pandered to. (At least that's the impression I get.)

And a horror list WITHOUT Gregory Horror Show? You're slipping, ANN. Razz
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"while introducing philosophical topics about humanity's inherent cruelness"

I tend to think this is an American opinion. Nothing inherently cruel about the villager's response to being killed off one by one, especially targeting family members to kill the rest of their family. spoiler[With the goal of the vampires claiming the village as their own, by killing or converting 'all' the humans.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
If "Survival Horror" was part of this week's list, AoT is gruesome enough to be under that label.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I shall never see the appeal of being frightened or revulsed. It must be the case that there is some substantial affectional difference between me and horror fans; to enjoy emotions that one is usually glad to avoid is something I simply struggle to understand. Presumably, the horror fan's pleasure is a form of catharsis of a character more extreme than what I'm familiar with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
"while introducing philosophical topics about humanity's inherent cruelness"

I tend to think this is an American opinion. Nothing inherently cruel about the villager's response to being killed off one by one, especially targeting family members to kill the rest of their family. spoiler[With the goal of the vampires claiming the village as their own, by killing or converting 'all' the humans.]

Maybe we didn't watched the same thing, because spoiler[Humans started to kill humans with no fact checking or remorse and while most vampires killed to feed (there was little choice), some humans indeed were killing vampires with a sense of glee basking in a sense of superiority, not the "rest in peace" kind of thing you expect from champions of justice]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3