• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Land of the Lustrous the Best 3DCG Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazelll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily consider this image too much of a spoiler. Without context, if someone had seen some episodes not but all of them, then the gems break apart all the time and it normally just means a trip to glue-doctor. It probably definitely looks like death to someone who has never seen it / doesn't know they're immortal, though.

Had it been an image of what happens after that screenshot, I think that would've been far more of a spoiler... I'm not going to deny there are less potentially spoiler-prone images to use, but in general, if I see one of them breaking, I don't assume it equals what happened at the end of this most recent episode.
like you said, it's definitely a spoiler for those not familiar with the anime yet. This is not the 1st time they do this. They once put a thumbnail of literally a body of an important character who died that episode. Who on Earth put this person responsable..
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I live in the USA. This anime is clearly not on Crunchyroll. Strangely, nothing here on ANN says where the anime can be seen in English in the USA.

Where, please
chagrined

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
I live in the USA. This anime is clearly not on Crunchyroll. Strangely, nothing here on ANN says where the anime can be seen in English in the USA.

Where, please

It's on Anime Strike on Amazon.
ebv2406

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope the show gets more seasons, the next 3 volumes of the manga are fantastic, funny and darker.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I think it looks utterly terrible, just like every other CG anime.

It's really disappointing because it looks so interesting and the old drawn trailer was beautiful but its completely unwatchable to me.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Again, it seems your not paying attention. Phos got fired from that encyclopedia job remember? So no, that has changed, as she no longer has that job. Yes, she didn't go to bed like she was told to, but she ASKED KONGO if she could stay up, and he said yes, and for the hand thing, she was about to do it, but in the end she decided not to do it and ended up slipping on the ice and falling in the water. So no, she didn't do it intentionally (was about to but didn't) Also, how was the cube thing her fault? Was she supposed to be like "no, don't use gold for my arms cause it will encase me in a cube!!!" like seriously, that's her fault? Also, And the only times she has done something different than what she was told, was

1: ignore the encyclopedia job and worry about Cinibar
2: Go into the ocean even after Kongo-Sensei said not to

Also, that time when she could of called for reinforcements when the twins got captured, this was her first battle, she froze up. Yes she should of called for reinforcements, but its understandable on your "FIRST FIGHT" to freeze up during such a situation. And the fact she didn't get in trouble was the reason she couldn't fall asleep in the first place.

Well yeah Phos got fired... after point 9 in my list (after having been told 2/3 time to do it and ignoring it every time) and no one asked her to fight, she pushed for it (after repeatedly being told she's unsuited for it). As far as the fight, that was her 4th (5th?) time in contact with the enemy, not what I'd call first fight. All my point stand, Phos constantly ignore what she's told to do, do w/e she wants, and get people around her in trouble.

How is her staying up during winter a sign that she's growing up? You start by saying that its a sign that she grew up and now say that's its because she couldn't go back to sleep. Growing up is insomnia? Same for the ice, if you're specifically told at work "don't go near that dangerous machine" and you go near it, slip and hurt yourself (also hurting other people in the process) that's on you, even if you didn't want to cause trouble.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

It's really disappointing because it looks so interesting and the old drawn trailer was beautiful but its completely unwatchable to me.

I think quite the opposite. I thought the old drawn trailer looked like shit, and reminded me of "The Reflection." This is beautiful CG.

Also "just like every other CG anime" proves that your not paying that much attention to the animations.

Last edited by fantaselion on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
fantaselion wrote:
Again, it seems your not paying attention. Phos got fired from that encyclopedia job remember? So no, that has changed, as she no longer has that job. Yes, she didn't go to bed like she was told to, but she ASKED KONGO if she could stay up, and he said yes, and for the hand thing, she was about to do it, but in the end she decided not to do it and ended up slipping on the ice and falling in the water. So no, she didn't do it intentionally (was about to but didn't) Also, how was the cube thing her fault? Was she supposed to be like "no, don't use gold for my arms cause it will encase me in a cube!!!" like seriously, that's her fault? Also, And the only times she has done something different than what she was told, was

1: ignore the encyclopedia job and worry about Cinibar
2: Go into the ocean even after Kongo-Sensei said not to

Also, that time when she could of called for reinforcements when the twins got captured, this was her first battle, she froze up. Yes she should of called for reinforcements, but its understandable on your "FIRST FIGHT" to freeze up during such a situation. And the fact she didn't get in trouble was the reason she couldn't fall asleep in the first place.

Well yeah Phos got fired... after point 9 in my list (after having been told 2/3 time to do it and ignoring it every time) and no one asked her to fight, she pushed for it (after repeatedly being told she's unsuited for it). As far as the fight, that was her 4th (5th?) time in contact with the enemy, not what I'd call first fight. All my point stand, Phos constantly ignore what she's told to do, do w/e she wants, and get people around her in trouble.

How is her staying up during winter a sign that she's growing up? You start by saying that its a sign that she grew up and now say that's its because she couldn't go back to sleep. Growing up is insomnia? Same for the ice, if you're specifically told at work "don't go near that dangerous machine" and you go near it, slip and hurt yourself (also hurting other people in the process) that's on you, even if you didn't want to cause trouble.

That was her first fight where she wasn't just watching. All the other times, she didn't even have a weapon, and she wasn't counted on to do anything. If she was supposed to call for help inside the snail, then I"d question your logic. If she was supposed to call for help when Dia through her to get away instead of trying to run and help Dia, then I would question your logic. If she was supposed to run to get help after being captured by the Lunarians, I question your logic on how she was supposed to do that, if she was supposed to run for help during the first fight when everyone was there, then I question your eyes. If she was supposed to run and get help at any time in the winter arc, where everyone except Kongo-sensei was asleep. I question your logic.No one asked her to fight cause she is weak and has no battle experience, but she wants to be helpful to others "and cause she loves Kongo-Sensei" Also The only times when she got others in trouble was when she got eaten by the snail and had to be rescued (in that case though, everyone was at fault, cause they told her to deal with it rather than be cautious over it) and when she got captured by the Lunarians cause she trusted the snail, Sure people had to look for her, but none of them got in harms way, so no they weren't in trouble there. In the winter arc, she breaks sometimes and has to be repaired a bit, but that's cause the Artic girl is putting her to work. So no, she isn't constantly getting others in trouble.

Also, to clarify what I said about this being her "first fight" This is the first time that she was there when the Lunairans were "when she actually had a weapon, had stronger legs, and was expected to help during the fight"

Also I never said that not sleeping was growth (considering you aren't paying attention to the anime, i'm not surprised that you weren't paying attention to my post) what I was saying was that she couldn't sleep cause she didn't get yelled at for [expletive] up. She wasn't happy with herself and wanted to improve herself by staying up and helping the Artic girl during winter. At the beginning of the series, She definitely wouldn't do that. Also in episode 7 when the Artic girl said "it will be hard" and Phos said "I don't want to..... But I will!". If this was her in episode 1, You definitively would of just stuck with "I don't want to"

Also, if your going to say "all my points still stand" then actually disapprove everything I said first. You only had arguments for some of what I said in my previous post, yet your saying that arguing for only a couple proves all your points? I'm sorry, but that's not how arguments work.
ICO44

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I personally love 2d hand drawn waaaay more than CG but in this case the CG fits the show so well. It captures the crystal look of the characters much better than 2D did.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

If it's the fps issue, try interpolation? I heard it works for some people.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

It’s really disappointing to me to hear you say that. The CG here is most likely the best looking and smoothest that we’ve seen come out of CG anime thus far. I agree with fantaselion in that saying it looks just as terrible as every other CG anime before it shows that you really aren’t giving the studio behind this a fair chance. CG in anime can only improve over time as studios understand the technology better and improve it with more use of it rather than not trying at all. I understand having a preference to 2D, (I’ll admit that I grew very skeptical of this show after it was announced that it was going to be 3DCG) but sometimes, using CG can actually be a benefit to an anime’s story, not a detriment. This show is a good example of that.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that this isn't a full 3dcgi anime and does utilise 2d plenty of times.
Cross_Yuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with others about the use of CGI here. I never liked it before, but in Land of the lustrous it works for me. The visuals are stunning, vibrant, full of color, the 3D is well balanced with those wonderful watercolor backgrounds and more important, it goes well with the idea of living gems in motion, they are made of crystal, so they should be stiff. The care they put also in the soundtrack is adding more points, the music is well chosen and the voice actors are outstanding. I just find it a delight to watch.
And then, the story is fantastic too. It started a bit slow, but in episodes 2-3, the snails, the reference to humans and the main mystery surrounding Kongo sensei got me hooked. From that point, the transformation of Phos has been the highlight. I think most of us can relate to Phos at some point, trying to find a place in society, the comparisons to others, love and loss, despair of seeing that your sacrifices do not translate in success,...it's amazing how this anime can bring up so many deep topics in only 8 episodes. It's my favorite of the season without a doubt...anyway, it's a very special thing and difficult to classify, so I would not compare it too much to other anime, this one is a category on its own Smile
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Actually, i think the sparkling effect in the trailer looks bad because it's so distracting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
I love the detail that their white night gowns are tied like funeral shrouds.

The CG works so well for this show because the characters aren't supposed to be human. Any uncanny valley effects are intentional. I think the 2D trailer is gorgeous, too, and would have watched it just the same, but I'm able to tolerate the 3D version more than in Ajin or BBK, where the movements were too janky for my taste.

As for the characters, I have to agree with meiam. Phos was set on doing one type of job, and rejected any boring alternatives. Phos put self and others in harms way multiple times, sometimes in direct opposition to orders. By episode 7 or so, Phos was getting on my nerves. There was some measure of growth, but I don't think Phos was ready to change until after episode 8 because that was the first time the consequences of Phos' actions had a permanent negative effect on someone Phos cared about (it's interesting to note that Phos barely considers damage to self as consequential, even when it cost memories).
But isn't that how most people are? They swear they'll change, but don't make real efforts until they hit rock bottom or someone gets hurt from irresponsible behavior?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3