• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Publishers Choose Which Older Shows To Re-License?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The conventional wisdom used to be that titles that did decent sales the first time around had a better chance of getting a re-release. However, Discotek's rescuing of titles like famed Geneon hundred-sellers Cybuster and Demon Lord Dante now have us questioning that wisdom.

Quote:
"Oh, you want this A+ title from 2001? Sure, but you'll also have to take this crudely animated pervy OVA from 1985 that nobody's heard of."

I know it was just a year thrown out as an example, but...
Interestingly, a fair number of the eight pervy OVAs from 1985 are not completely unknown among fans of older anime, including Urusei Yatsura, Megazone 23, Vampire Hunter D, and Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia -- the last two of which have already been re-licensed. Others like Fight!! Iczer-One and Leda ~ The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko have gotten R1 releases in the past as well.

CatSword wrote:
There could also be the issue of the Japanese studio not wanting a specific older show to be released again until after all the remake films are done, the last of which is taking an exceptionally long time.

I frequently see Evangelion held up as the great "white whale" by anti-industry detractors, who use its unavailability as a cudgel against legal streaming services and disc publishers. Of course, the fact that Eva is less popular on a views-per-month basis on The Flagship Bootleg Streaming Site than many mediocre yet legally-available modern anime kind of punctures that talking point. And even if NGE were available, they'd name something like Paranoia Agent or the NGE-inspired, best-moe-harem-comedy-of-2002 RahXephon as the replacement.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And how old is "old"? Is Rakugo considered old yet?

The problem with Rakugo never has been "age", it is an anime for mature audiences (and by that I do not mean sex, nudity, violence, obscene language, drugs or guns). This one would really benefit from a kickstarter, as in "We know this series will not provide any real profit, but we will do a kickstarter to serve our most excellent fans", a true gentei product. If successful it could open the door for other similar series that will n-e-v-e-r get a print release.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...and then there's *that* series. You know the one, licensed by ADV, in many different versions, had a great theme song.

Steel Angel Kurumi. Wow, they must be charging a fortune for that one...

Love what you did here... Cool

Truth be told, I'd love to see someone rescue Kurumi, my all-time favorite pink-haired bubblehead. The only other vintage title that comes close for me is Witch Hunter Robin.

Just reading this article makes me want to be a fly on the wall at Eastern Star's offices...
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The problem with Rakugo never has been "age", it is an anime for mature audiences (and by that I do not mean sex, nudity, violence, obscene language, drugs or guns). This one would really benefit from a kickstarter, as in "We know this series will not provide any real profit, but we will do a kickstarter to serve our most excellent fans", a true gentei product. If successful it could open the door for other similar series that will n-e-v-e-r get a print release.

Had to look up Raguko; never heard of it, sorry to say. But then again, there's so much produced these days that it's easy for me to miss something.

But for me, I'd be more likely to back a "What the *bleep* did I just watch?" kinda show. Backing a bizarre little gem like Potemayo would be a slam dunk for me.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
These days, I’m not as interested in a Berserk 1997 re-release since I imported the bluray from the UK, but I would pay good money for Evangelion, Monster, and Hajime no Ippo on bluray. I also need to import the FMA:B bluray set from the UK since they are OOP here in the US.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I frequently see Evangelion held up as the great "white whale" by anti-industry detractors, who use its unavailability as a cudgel against legal streaming services and disc publishers. Of course, the fact that Eva is less popular on a views-per-month basis on The Flagship Bootleg Streaming Site than many mediocre yet legally-available modern anime kind of punctures that talking point. And even if NGE were available, they'd name something like Paranoia Agent or the NGE-inspired, best-moe-harem-comedy-of-2002 RahXephon as the replacement.

They would need to pick something else, at least as far as streaming goes. Rahxephon has been streaming legally for years. It was available on Anime Network, and then moved to HiDive. It’s also been available on Amazon Prime for quite sometime as well. But those who use pirate sites will always make up some excuse.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It’s only been around 14 months since the anime finished. The comic has been licensed for awhile in different languages at least. Personally I would not support the anime of Descending Stories if it was licensed though. Same as I haven’t picked up foreign versions of the comic despite a large portion of it being well crafted. I respect Haruko Kumota and still have some of her other comics but, what she did at the end displeased me. I still haven’t gotten over it enough to revisit the series in any form without feeling it is spoiled and I don’t know if I will. As a result I feel like the audience is limited in that respect as well besides being a very slow burning, culture heavy title.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The answer never acknowledged the original question's idea of running a Kickstarter for license rescuing an old show. I have to think that would be out of the question, as the fans would have no legal standing to license the show, and contributors would be out of their minds to give money to a campaign whose pitch was "help us amass a big bag of money, and we'll float it around to English-language licensors and see who bites."

It does seem like there have been fan-run Kickstarters of this ilk that have been shut down, but I can't remember any specific cases.

Yeah, Justin missed that. Your answer is 100% correct.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
You guys honestly get a lot of stuff we don't, or at least a lot of stuff we once had but no longer did.

This is true, though the net imbalance lies in your favour. If you compare WTK's solicitation threads posted on ANN to the industry threads on AUKN, for example, the monthly release volumes seem quite uneven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
You guys honestly get a lot of stuff we don't, or at least a lot of stuff we once had but no longer did. I got into R2 importing to pull an end-around on Aniplex's nonsense, and what really surprised me is how many bigger-ticket items weren't available in the US. Everything from Berserk 1997 on Blu-ray, to most of Satoshi Kon's catalog (Millennium Actress even got a UK dub!), to some fairly recent movies that were even dubbed by NYAV Post yet still don't have a physical release here. Then there's Australia, which got all of Monster, plus shows like Dennou Coil and Kaiba years before they finally made it over here. I was honestly thinking of submitting this as a question one of these weeks.
I get why it may feel like that on the surface, and it is most likly that you don't even think of these titles. We never get most of the shows Discotek release, Sentai Filmworks re-reasled both Vampire Hunter D and Big o, we still haven't got Dennou Coil or Kaiba. A lot of ADV ttiles, they had a UK branch, have not been rescued and released like Angelic Layer or Kurau Phantom Memory. And all that is just scratching the surface.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
This Answerman column might sum up the way Discotek approaches old-school licenses. While Funi and Sentai occasionally license older stuff, Discotek seems to be company that is specifically skilled at getting that obscure pre-2000 anime show.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Animeigo has been working through their old catalog slowly for Blu Ray releases. Since it is such a small shop I would not expect anything new from them, but I am certain the Blu Ray of Gunsmith Cats will put a big smile on my face.

I keep hoping that Robert and his crew pick up something new, or look to updating a release of say.. Kimagure Orange Road, or even a Blu Ray of Macross. KOR now fetches pretty enormous prices for used DVDs. Hell, even the Laserdiscs and VHS fetch good prices.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I wonder what show the person was referring too in his/her question. There might be other people here in the forum that would be interested in a re-release as well.

*raises hand*

Hai hai it was mine and that answer is Full Moon Wo Sagashite.

Wish they used the pic I sent them for the column =.=
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I would imagine most companies would pick up titles that sells well with their audience. Funimation picks up titles that the mainstream season watcher and younger generation will watch and buy like MHA, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, etc. Sometimes Funimation picks up older titles, but not always. Current Shonen anime is Funimation's bread and butter to them.

Discotek is probably the only anime company in the US that cares about older titles. I do think that we need more companies that pick up older titles. We have many companies that will pick up horror movies, grindhouse movies and other cult films like Shout! Factory, Arrow Video, Kino Lorber Studio Classics, Synapse Films, Blue Underground, Code Red DVD, Scorpion Releasing, Severin Films, Twilight Time Movies, Vinegar Syndrome, MVD Rewind and Vestron.

I'm pretty sure there is many other obscure and cult anime titles that people can pick up and buy. If there is a audience for Ted V. Mikels movies, I'm sure there is a audience for something like Call Me Tonight and Hell Target.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I do think that we need more companies that pick up older titles. We have many companies that will pick up horror movies, grindhouse movies and other cult films like Shout! Factory, Arrow Video, Kino Lorber Studio Classics, Synapse Films, Blue Underground, Code Red DVD, Scorpion Releasing, Severin Films, Twilight Time Movies, Vinegar Syndrome, MVD Rewind and Vestron.

I've always felt this way too, & I remember Mike Toole once saying in his articles that there should be an anime equivalent to Mill Creek (i.e. one which just does cheap re-releases), but at the same time I sometimes wonder if anime fandom is just too small &, for lack of a better word, curated for being able to support multiple smaller outfits like this. General movie fandom is so gigantic, it's possible for boutique publishers to operate on a more focused & niche basis, and in some rare cases, they even tackle anime. Hell, anime in general is already a "boutique" industry, with only FUNimation & Viz being the arguable "mainstream" entities. Every other company, even the likes of Sentai, are already operating like those boutique publishers, specifically aiming at lase-targeted niches.

Really, that's the best way to think of the anime industry, especially here in North America: Our entire industry is already made up of Severins, Synapses, & Blue Undergrounds, so we can't possibly get any more niche!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3