• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Blu Ray Collection 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus-A

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Tried a bit and never really liked it, it seems to want to keep everything that I dislike about gundam show and throw out everything I liked (why would you ever make a character in homage of Kamille is beyond me).

But I'm still pretty sad that the show did badly because it means the gunplay sold so poorly that they cancel the line, which is a real shame since they were really nice, both HG and MG. Pretty sad we didn't get an MG of the age FX.

I think the show just tried to do everything at once, be a gundam for a new generation while appealing to the old one too. In the end it pleased no one.

It pleased me.

I'm in the minority but I rate AGE more highly than the more popular series like 00, Unicorn, The Origin, Thunderbolt, Iron-Blooded Orphans and even Turn A Gundam.

And I certainly think it's much more competent than UC acknowledged low points like ZZ and Victory (not that I dislike them) despite having been cut short.

At least it wasn't G-Wrecko.

The show was supposed to air for a year and a half, that's a hundred episodes give or take, but they cut it short because this toxic fanbase did not give it a chance. It'd have been nice if a surprise 4th Generation was introduced. Almost 50% of the whole project had to be abandoned. Before it aired, hell, before footage was even released, there was nothing but negative feedback.
db999

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I quite like the 1st two generations of Gundam Age. I disagree with the reviewer slightly that all of the tropes are played straight. For the X-rounders there is a difference with new types in that in the series it is postulated that X-rounders are actually a regression of humanity, rather than it’s evolution. I’d also disagree that Flit being so different in the second arc is a continuity issue. Given what Flit learns at the end of the first arc, I have no problems believing that the idealistic kid could grow into such a bitter man, but I do agree that the show doesn’t do the best job at communicating this. I think that the second arc is probably the best of the entire series. It feels the most focused and I think it does the best job at communicating what the show wants to get across.

The truly ironic thing about this show is that its biggest selling point is also its greatest weakness. The idea of doing three different generations in one series in interesting, but the execution is not up to snuff. The biggest problem is that important secondary characters completely disappear between story arcs and this is something that gets worse as the series continues. A few of the cast from Flit’s act comes back in Asemu's, with 2 or 3 notable exceptions, but almost nobody from Asemu’s arc appears in Kio’s. Also, characters will sometimes completely change personalities to fit the story, something that gets much worse in Kio’s arc. In fact, I think that the 1st two generations are actually quite good, but it starts to go downhill with Kio. Actually, I really feel that its really only the last 10 episodes, marked as the Three Generations ArcI that’s not very good, but I’ll wait until that set comes out to voice my complaints.

It’s also weird that all the arcs are so inconsistent in the amount of time spent on it. Flit gets 15 episodes, Asemu gets 13 and Kio gets 20 episodes. By either reducing the episode count by 1, to have 48 episodes, or increasing it by 2, to have 51, you could give each character 16 or 17 episodes. I also think there was some missed potential in the structuring of the series. I think that I would have loved to see each generation get a full 2 cour series and actually have most of the cast stick around in between generations. However, I understand why this wasn’t done. 75 episodes is a lot to commit to, and if one season doesn’t do well, then the series ends on a disappointing cliffhanger. Part of me also wonders if the story is executed better in the video game. It was originally supposed to be one after all, and storytelling is different enough between the two mediums that what works well in one, doesn’t always work as well in the other. Ultimately though I’d only really recommend getting this set, and then just sticking to the movie, Memory of Eden. Or if you’re really curious I’d say try episode 29 through the end of the series on streaming before you buy.

I'll probably end up doing what I suggested and pick up this set, and then Memory of Eden, because I like the episodes enough and I've been really curious about the English dub ever since it started airing. I've heard enough good things about it that I'd like to check it out in English, as I was never able to find dubbed clips on the internet.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll echo what most people seem to be saying: the first two generations are fine if unspectacular Gundam, but the third arc completely flies off the rails in the most frustrating finale of any gundam series I've seen (except possibly SEED Destiny, that was atrocious as well).

I will admit to being rather pleasantly surprised at the OST. The AGE-2 theme especially is pure hype.

One thing I do remember is how similar the first scene in the first episode is to Attack on Titan, except with yokai watch character designs. It really sums up the entire series' problem with tone in those first 30 seconds or so.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, wait until she gets to the final arc where things descend into teeth-grinding frustration. There's a reason this got the franchise kicked off the Tokyo Broadcasting Station.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Man, wait until she gets to the final arc where things descend into teeth-grinding frustration. There's a reason this got the franchise kicked off the Tokyo Broadcasting Station.

Yeah, It's Generation 3 that sends it irrevocably into the territory of "Worst Gundam series yet" but the warning signs were already there in Generations 1 and 2 such as complete inability to decide it 's tone, Yurin being a lazy Lalah clone who sets the stage for the rest of Age's appalling treatment of it's female characters, Asemu's arc ultimately being filler that does nothing to advance the plot, Zeheart being the most pointless and uninspired Char clone ever. The list goes on and on.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Several people commented that the story was originally intended for more than 4 cour, but that doesn't really matter. The anime was never actually planned to be allowed more than 4 cour so the creators knew the time frame they had to work with. They just failed to adapt their story for the time they actually had. It isn't a valid excuse like it is for say X which was suppose to be 4 cour.

VerQuality wrote:
I'll echo what most people seem to be saying: the first two generations are fine if unspectacular Gundam, but the third arc completely flies off the rails in the most frustrating finale of any gundam series I've seen (except possibly SEED Destiny, that was atrocious as well).

Not to say it is good because I certainly don't hold Destiny in high regard, but I don't really see that ending as frustrating. They spent almost 40 episodes showing you that Kira is Jesus and he will be saving everyone. Age on the other hand spent a huge portion on 'eh, this could maybe be interesting' only to go off into 'omg why would you go this direction.' Or to rephrase my point, Destiny spent the entire time assuring the viewer that it wasn't going to be good, but AGE managed to dangle hope that it might end up ok.

Because of that, some of the similar issues the two endings had I can basically hand wave for Destiny and be frustrated at AGE over. For example, the antagonist with their super strong gundam going from fine to blown up in under a minute. Destiny already built up the fact that Rey and Shin couldn't hold a candle to Kira and Athrun so seeing them swatted like flies was par for the course. On the other hand, AGE built up people as a credible threat only to pull that out from under the viewer leaving this 'wait, what' moment.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
It would be interesting if Sunrise took a risk and let its Korean subcontractors script a show loosely based on their own military experiences (South Korea has universal conscription that has a reputation for being quite miserable).

Is Level-5 South Korean? I always assumed it was as Japanese as Sunrise and the animation subcontractors they used.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Not to say it is good because I certainly don't hold Destiny in high regard, but I don't really see that ending as frustrating. They spent almost 40 episodes showing you that Kira is Jesus and he will be saving everyone.

Fair enough. I think most people started Age with low opinions of it, and slowly came around to the "maybe it's not that bad" camp, and then the finale confirmed "yes, it is that bad". Meanwhile, Destiny started with high expectations, let them down from the moment the crew touched Earth, and the finale was just a culmination of the pile of disappointment the series ad become. I suppose I did search out Final Plus to finish Destiny, and I still can't muster any motivation to watch the Age final compilation, so I guess that settles it. Yay, Age wins worst conclusion!

Zeino wrote:
Age's appalling treatment of it's female characters

I somehow forgot this among the other complaints, but yeah, this was really bad. Pretty much every female character in this show exists to either die tragically to motivate a male character, or to provide babies for the next generation. Even in a generally male-centric franchise like Gundam, Age strikes me as by far the worst in this respect (or lack of respect, as it were).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
The soundtrack is quite good. Asemu's "Super Pilot" theme hasn't left my playlist since. Shame it never showed up in SRW BX because I'd love to hear that rendition.

Titus-A wrote:

The show was supposed to air for a year and a half, that's a hundred episodes give or take, but they cut it short because this toxic fanbase did not give it a chance. It'd have been nice if a surprise 4th Generation was introduced. Almost 50% of the whole project had to be abandoned. Before it aired, hell, before footage was even released, there was nothing but negative feedback.

It wasn't. It was only supposed to be a year. What did happen is that because of how bad it bombed, some of the model kits that were promoted never made it to production.

Looking at you, MG AGE 3.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Gundam Build Fighters is also a show for kids but is generally well regarded so I'm not sure this argument of blaming a show's demographic for it's writing problems is a valid argument.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Yeah, It's Generation 3 that sends it irrevocably into the territory of "Worst Gundam series yet" but the warning signs were already there in Generations 1 and 2 such as complete inability to decide it 's tone, Yurin being a lazy Lalah clone who sets the stage for the rest of Age's appalling treatment of it's female characters, Asemu's arc ultimately being filler that does nothing to advance the plot, Zeheart being the most pointless and uninspired Char clone ever. The list goes on and on.

Yeah, there's no other way to say it, it's a damned mess. This is what happens when a guy whose previous writing experience is video games tries to write for a four cour show (plus Level 5's writing has always been mediocre). They should have just kept it as a game
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
This is what happens when a guy whose previous writing experience is video games tries to write for a four cour show (plus Level 5's writing has always been mediocre).

I can't speak for their entire library, but Dark Cloud 2 and Jeanne D'Arc had pretty good stories at least.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:

I will admit to being rather pleasantly surprised at the OST. The AGE-2 theme especially is pure hype.

One thing I do remember is how similar the first scene in the first episode is to Attack on Titan, except with yokai watch character designs. It really sums up the entire series' problem with tone in those first 30 seconds or so.

If you think the ending to Seed Destiny is frustrating, stay away from IBO.
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Not to say it is good because I certainly don't hold Destiny in high regard, but I don't really see that ending as frustrating. They spent almost 40 episodes showing you that Kira is Jesus and he will be saving everyone. Age on the other hand spent a huge portion on 'eh, this could maybe be interesting' only to go off into 'omg why would you go this direction.' Or to rephrase my point, Destiny spent the entire time assuring the viewer that it wasn't going to be good, but AGE managed to dangle hope that it might end up ok.

For as much of Jesus figure people make Kira out to be he's pretty much being led by his nose by Lacus into things anyway. Heck, she's the one giving him super powered Gundams that are invincible and god powered basically. So credit where it's due here, literally Lacus is driving him mostly in Destiny. Don't know what you should call her then, God I guess?
It also helps the audience if they fully hate Shinn's annoying garbage that they don't care if he gets unseated as main character by Kira.
Then again I can't say Destiny angered me much at all, I just felt meh about it, unlike others I can't bring myself to massively hate it too much. It's disappointing but I find the hate for it ridiculously overblown.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I never thought I'd see the day when a Hong Kong dub gets praised.

HELL HAS INDEED FROZEN OVER!!!!

an animax asia dub which have been infamously bad got a grade higher than and F (which by the way was the rating and rightfully so for build fighters)?

definitely hell has indeed frozen over!!! though it shows how cheap sunrise is! while its understandable not to give AGE the IBO treatment when it came to english dubs considering on how bad it is, its still feel kinda half assed if you ask me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
levonr

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The dub was praised for basically being so bad its good, that it fits the show well. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3