• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Hidden Gems on HIDIVE

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Princess Tutu has been an underground hidden gem for years; The only thing that I can think of that prevented the show from reaching the audience it deserved is the fact it's called Princess Tutu.

It's hardly "hidden", though, as it's a Funimation show now, and shows up on just about every other service where Funi shows have been airing, HuluPlus included.
Which is probably why HiDive has been showing it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
How are they on providing the home video versions for their catalog? I remember they started out with none, then started adding them. Do they have them for subtitled versions too? I ask because previously on TAN, the few home video versions they provided were only for the dubs.

Almost everything older than like 2015 is home video version, subbed and dubbed. In fact, you can check each page on the desktop version and it will say either home video, broadcast, or both. There are some exceptions, like how Parasyte is broadcast only, and Akame ga Kill is home video only on the dub.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
RangerDanger wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...I just realized that I may be confusing my dislike with the Casshern series with my extreme dislike for a grimdark cgi-overloaded live-action Japanese movie that preceded it. I think I tried the anime once and saw too much of the movie in it and gave up on it early.

My memory of Karas is from 12 years ago when it ran on the Encore Network in two "movies".
I remember it being a confusing spectacle. Once again, overblown with CGI (but not really horrible looking for that period) and the plot was just mangled and confusing. I do remember that the second half improved the extra confusing first half slightly.

In any case, My personal opinion is that neither are worth much consideration. Definitely not worth getting your hopes too high for. Both have ANN reviews though... and all rate them higher than I do

Oh, okay. Thanks for sharing, though.

If you want MY opinion instead.
Karas is pretty much, Guyver and Batman put together. Admittedly, the first half is a little confusing, but the awesome action more than make up for it with a nice orchestral soundtrack. Its sorta like how Kill Bill vol. 1 was more action based and Kill Bill Vol. 2 was more story based. You get something like this.

Casshern Sins is a slower paced series that deals with death in an apocalyptic world where an enigmatic android must find out who he is and why everyone wants him dead.
Its beautifully haunting and the action scenes are really good.

Both worth a look!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I came here to shout about Princess Tutu, for some reason having low expectations for this ad. HIDIVE has exceeded those expectations. Smile

Yeah, I read this right after reading an awful article on FANDOM that listed the "Top 5 Anime for Japanese Language Learners" as Sword Art Online, One Punch Man, Blend S, My Little Monster, and Attack on Titan, so I was very pleased by how deep this list chose to delve into HiDive's back catalogue.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Penguindrum must be region locked, as I can't find it. I was actually surprised that there was even region locked content on HiDive

I watched School-Live! on Netflix Philippines. Getting worldwide streaming rights is tricky.
DragonSpooker

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
I couldn't recommend Land of the Lustrous enough, it hooked me and I absolutely adored it. I can't wait to buy that big'ol Premium set you know that Sentai will do.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'd hardly consider Princess Tutu a "hidden" gem. Its merits were well-known and widely-acknowledged about a decade ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2