• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gundam Plot Coherency Scale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The Laplace Box reveal in Unicorn is impressively stupid. spoiler[The idea that the nations of the world would spend however much time they spent hammering out this multilateral treaty -- and if current events haven't already made this clear, negotiating a multilateral treaty is typically a very long and contentious process even when the treaty doesn't create a global Federation to which your country will be ceding its sovereignty -- and then, I don't know, forget that they included this provision once the original version (and, for some reason, a monument is apparently the legally-effective document?) was lost, might be the single most ludicrous plot point in all of Gundam.]
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Get past the nutty design elements, and G Gundam's actual plot is a lot more coherent than the original MSG, Zeta, ZZ, and plenty of other titles in the franchise. Like how it actually establishes what the overall problem is early on, or features a series of central mysteries to keep the viewer interested which are all eventually resolved in logical fashions, or has clear motivations and character arcs for all the main cast.

Contrast it to a lot of its Universal Century predecessors which are often largely directionless road-trip shows across Earth, space and back (or the reverse) without a clear final goal or destination. Or something like Turn A where if Guin hadn't decided to keep the Moonrace's impending arrival a secret (for no clear reason), you wouldn't have a show because there's hardly a reason for any conflict at all.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
Turn A where if Guin hadn't decided to keep the Moonrace's impending arrival a secret (for no clear reason), you wouldn't have a show because there's hardly a reason for any conflict at all.

Not exactly sure what this is supposed to mean, and the main article tries to make a similar point about how the conflict "could be resolved if everybody got together and just talked it out." A people who have been away for thousands of years try to return and resettle their ancestral homeland, but the current inhabitants are totally against it and won't accept their return kinda sounds like the core of one of the most intractable conflicts currently afflicting the real world.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
The Laplace Box reveal in Unicorn is impressively stupid. spoiler[The idea that the nations of the world would spend however much time they spent hammering out this multilateral treaty -- and if current events haven't already made this clear, negotiating a multilateral treaty is typically a very long and contentious process even when the treaty doesn't create a global Federation to which your country will be ceding its sovereignty -- and then, I don't know, forget that they included this provision once the original version (and, for some reason, a monument is apparently the legally-effective document?) was lost, might be the single most ludicrous plot point in all of Gundam.]

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but spoiler[it wasn't forgotten so much as taken away to use as some sort of black mail. I also remember there being an assassination or explosion during the unveiling of the "document'/monument, which may explain why people didn't question the omission - because they never knew it was there in the first place.]

That being said, it's been a while since I saw Unicorn, and I wasn't a big fan of it, spoiler[including the fact that while Laplace's box is a neat idea, it's stupid to assume that unveiling it would change anything.][/spoiler]
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:
zaphdash wrote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but spoiler[it wasn't forgotten so much as taken away to use as some sort of black mail. I also remember there being an assassination or explosion during the unveiling of the "document'/monument, which may explain why people didn't question the omission - because they never knew it was there in the first place.]

That being said, it's been a while since I saw Unicorn, and I wasn't a big fan of it, spoiler[including the fact that while Laplace's box is a neat idea, it's stupid to assume that unveiling it would change anything.][/spoiler]

spoiler[I mean the flip side is that if people never even knew it was there, it couldn't have been legally effective in the first place, and then the big reveal goes from "The Federation Charter is supposed to recognize Newtype rights" to "a hundred years ago somebody thought, 'if Newtypes ever arise, their rights should be recognized' and managed to inscribe it on a monument." This is, at base, an international treaty that countries had to agree to adopt. They either agreed to adopt the Charter with that provision, or they didn't. The Security Council wasn't just like, a surprise that got unveiled when the United Nations Charter was adopted. The idea that this could just be buried and then lost to history until the original monument turned up again is insane.]

I mean like I'm a lawyer with an international law background, so I realize I'm approaching this kinda like Neil deGrasse Tyson shitting all over Gravity, and anyone who enjoys Unicorn should continue to do so. I mean I enjoyed it! Just, this one thing really bothered me and was very dumb.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Stuff

That's a good point and something I didn't consider (I did not put much thought into Laplace's box other than 'neat'). Today I became more aware Wink
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:

Not exactly sure what this is supposed to mean, and the main article tries to make a similar point about how the conflict "could be resolved if everybody got together and just talked it out." A people who have been away for thousands of years try to return and resettle their ancestral homeland, but the current inhabitants are totally against it and won't accept their return kinda sounds like the core of one of the most intractable conflicts currently afflicting the real world.

But Turn A soon establishes that the Earth is sparsely populated, so there's little reason for any sort of conflict since there's plenty of wide open uninhabited areas. Maybe there'd be some conflict if conditions had deteriorated on the Moon, so there'd be some sort of time crunch factor at work. But the show eventually gets to the Moon - and turns out life there was going just fine. So the Moonrace deciding to return was just some arbitrary thing that they could've called off if they wanted to.

I just can't rate Turn A very high on the plot coherence scale when it spends so much of the series unable to nail down what the big problem is.
sweaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Those convoluted and overly complex plots are what make Gundam Series so interesting.
ahhhja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked how we have a list like this but I can't agree with changing the rules for some series.
Of course, I only reacted to this list since I have my own biases.

First of all, it's not really fair to lump in GBF and SEED with their sequels given that MSG, Z, and ZZ have separate entries.

Second, I can't agree with G-Gundam being incoherent because of its setting. I think its basic concept is incredibly simple, "Win the tournament, rule the world." This just happens to include the usual travelling to meet the next opponent, meeting civilians and gaining allies/rivals, training for the finals. If anything, the confusing part comes in with the Devil Gundam, Master Asia, and their backstories (or lack of for Master Asia).

SEED is the same thing, coordinators are treated as monsters for being different, Kira happens to be the best of the best but unfortunately, genetic modification doesn't affect emotions. Nuke cancelers are just minovsky particles and seed mode is an even more obscure equivalent of the newtype factor, since only 4 characters were shown to have this during the series.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wait how is SEED incoherent? The whole neutron jammer canceler doesn't even make sense as a valid reason. The neutron jammer is introduced at the start and then people found a way to bypass it....how does that make the series incoherent? SEED is super easy to follow.

Felt like the author of the article just disliked SEED and wanted to trash it.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I'll say this about Reconguista in G: it works much better if you marathon it, and my stance on it changed a lot after I rewatched the whole thing on Blu-ray over 3 days or so. Yes, there are too many ideas and developments in it for a 26-episode show, but I'd still rank it well above ZZ and V when it comes to both quality and plot coherency.

I'd agree with that. I dropped it about 3 episodes in or when watching it weekly, but when I came back and marathoned it, I absolutely loved it. It seems to be a very, very hit or miss series. Tomino was going for a very specific feel, and if you could buy into what he was going for, he delivered in spades, and you also got to enjoy one of the best-looking mecha series of the past decade. However, if you don't really buy in to Tomino's ideas, it comes across as nigh incomprehensible.
docsane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I really feel like yelling about ZZ, mainly because it reads like Lauren didn't actually watch the show. If she had, she would have noticed slight details like Moon Moon colony not being "lost" by Earth, but is an old abandoned Island 1-style space colony (as opposed to the larger and more familiar Island 3-styles we see in Gundam) that was taken over by an anti-technology cult.

That little bit aside, ZZ has a very coherent theme, in that it's all about the poor and disenfranchised of the Gundam world having their rights trampled by the elites. This was the first Gundam series whose main cast weren't a bunch of fairly well-to-do middle class colony kids. Judau and the others were poor kids in a crappy, broken-down colony who had to scramble to earn a living because the Grypps war had wrecked the economy. It was a story about children who had been utterly failed and abandoned by society.

The elites of the Earth Federation government are happy to allow Dublin to be destroyed in order to decrease the surplus population on Earth. They're also happy to cede Side 3 to the Neo Zeon in order to buy themselves some peace. Meanwhile, Haman Khan is ready to be a total dictator because Earth is being mismanaged by the Earth Federation (and she has a good point). Mashymere is sent to Shangri-La at the show's start in order to sell the idea of a better life under the Neo Zeon to its poor populace. Glemy Toto wants to push his version of "pure" Zeon ideology because he feels his blood ties give him the right to rule.

All of these characters are examples of society's elites playing chess for the fate of the world, all talking about how what they do is for the common good. And absolutely none of them actually bother to ask the commoners how they feel about it. That's what Judau ultimately calls bullshit on in the second to last episode. Judau was the first Gundam pilot in history to either metaphorically or literally punch the representatives of the elites in the face and tell them to knock off all this useless fighting, because people like him had real problems that needed to be addressed.

So Gundam ZZ has a very coherent message, except that it's about class and economic struggle.
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ahhhja wrote:
Second, I can't agree with G-Gundam being incoherent because of its setting. I think its basic concept is incredibly simple, "Win the tournament, rule the world." This just happens to include the usual travelling to meet the next opponent, meeting civilians and gaining allies/rivals, training for the finals. If anything, the confusing part comes in with the Devil Gundam, Master Asia, and their backstories (or lack of for Master Asia).

I'd go so far as to argue that the Devil Gundam is the primary plot to the show. Its creation and purpose are prime motivators not only for Domon and Master Asia, but the mysteries surrounding it drive the show forward, and the show continues right up until its final defeat. The tournament structure to the whole Gundam Fight concept is more of a backdrop, I think.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
zaphdash wrote:

But Turn A soon establishes that the Earth is sparsely populated, so there's little reason for any sort of conflict since there's plenty of wide open uninhabited areas. Maybe there'd be some conflict if conditions had deteriorated on the Moon, so there'd be some sort of time crunch factor at work. But the show eventually gets to the Moon - and turns out life there was going just fine. So the Moonrace deciding to return was just some arbitrary thing that they could've called off if they wanted to.

I just can't rate Turn A very high on the plot coherence scale when it spends so much of the series unable to nail down what the big problem is.

Sparsely populated isn't unpopulated. Alaska is sparsely populated, but we're not about to let somebody else move in and claim it. I haven't rewatched Turn A in quite some time now, but my recollection is that it is implied (or maybe stated outright) that vast swaths of Earth are still essentially uninhabitable (almost all of the Earth-based action on the show takes place in the eastern half of North America, and the only other inhabited region even mentioned in dialogue is Europe). The Moonrace showed up and decided to take a particularly lush and fertile region from an agrarian society. I'm not saying war was inevitable, but "hardly a reason for any conflict at all" is a tough sell.

The Moonrace return wasn't "arbitrary" at all. Life was going just fine there for the small minority of the population that was awake to enjoy it. Due to space/resource constraints, most of the Moonrace was being kept in cryogenic stasis. That was the whole reason they decided to return to Earth.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Regarding Unicorn, I found the spoiler[big reveal regarding Laplace's Box to be a pretty good twist] toward the end, considering how long they make you wait for it. It never came across as dubious writing to me personally, but that's just me. I found it to be an enjoyable Gundam from start to finish.

As for Turn A Gundam, it definitely could have been written a bit better. Some parts of the story became a bit like scrambled eggs at times, but I wonder if the quality of the subtitled translation may have been the problem (it definitely seemed like characters were changing their tune too often during simple back and forth exchanges). The major antagonist was also a humongous disappointment and it didn't help that he had a terrible Japanese voice (I'm sure a dub could have fixed that much).

unfortunately bandai isnt around anymore so the odds of a dub considering that its now being licensed by right stuff/nozumi ent is more or less unlikely unless someone decides to do a kickstarter program. the same for reconguista in g, victory gundam and double zeta.

and speaking of zeta, that series should easily be in the bottom of the pile instead of reconguista in g. at least that series was decent enough to make sense. ZZ was a complete mess in the first half, and got worse in the second half. if the UC ever ends up getting a remake, you better believe that the timelines for zeta, double zeta and victory will get rebooted so it can be a little decent to the diehard gundam junkies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4