• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KADO - The Right Answer Anime Wins MPTE Animation Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Say whaaat???
Look, I'll give you an example so you'll be able to understand my point. A few days ago there was some news about how Land of the Lustrous had won some manga award. I thought that series was utter crap yet a lot of people seem to praise it everywhere, so why the hell would I want to say something like "oh, I can't believe this crap is getting x manga award"??? I get some people actually liked the series and they decided it deserved an award, so good for it, I guess, I'm not going to waste my time whining about how a series I disliked with a passion actually got some award, let alone try to convince anyone who actually enjoyed the series that it was crap, because,believe it or not, people have different tastes... so yeah, that's my eye-rolling for you.
Also, forgot to mention that one of the very maligned last few episodes (I think it was episode 10) contains one of the best scenes of the decade and I don't give a shit if some people here think I'm over-praising it.

Responding to people criticizing a series for the problems it contained simply with an eye-roll doesn’t make the people’s complaints any less valid and it may actually hurt your stance on it if anything else. If you can overlook the problems, that’s fine. Others can’t, so calling them haters over that seems a bit immature and part of your example isn’t that great considering that LotL is much less, if any, divisive over its content than Kado. The other people’s posts before you could have definitely used some work, but simply writing off the series’ problems as “Other people are being haters” with an eye-roll does not make you look favorable in this community and it will not help some in taking you seriously. (What’s also not helping is you framing some of your thoughts on it as if it was fact when it’s not.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Or maybe they just watched the movie? Pretty sure that's what it was for.

Was the movie any better? Genuine question here. The story and world plus the characters had a lot of problems so I'm legitimately curious if the movie could fix all of them or even any of those problems.

They basically cut all the really stupid parts and patched it up as best they could using the existing footage. If anything, it's a really interesting demonstration of how much of a visual story can be changed with just a little editing. To give you an idea of the lengths they went to, Hanamori is only shown from behind or in long shots in the new ending, because the entire sequence of events spoiler[that aged him forward 16 years] hasn't happened.

Some things can still be inferred to have happened, but it's ultimately a more open (and much less dogmatic) ending. spoiler[Shindo's fate is undisclosed (though he's not on Earth, that's for sure), and zaShunina is shown to have survived.]

The fact that they did this sounds like they knew those last episodes were garbage. I wonder if there was kind of executive meddling involved?
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what does "the Animation category of its 71st MPTE Awards" actually mean? Does it mean Best Animated Television Series, or Best Animation? Those are two very different things. I assumed the latter, because it's a CG show being recognized by an "Engineering Society." If it's actually Best Animated Television Series, that's INSANE.

If it is Best Animation, how do we know the voters even watched the whole show? Maybe Toei sent out a sizzle reel. I follow Industrial Light & Magic on Facebook, and they've posted the sizzle reels they put together for Oscar voters of their effects work on Transformers, etc. Maybe the Motion Picture and Television Engineering Society of Japan voters also watched a sizzle reel for LotL and went "Eeeeew, that looks weiiiird, I don't like it" in Japanese, and voted for Kado instead.

And still assuming it's Best Animation, even if they did watch the show, if they were doing their jobs properly as judges, they should have voted based on the animation without letting the story influence their decision. Though as we all know, Oscar voters are no such unbiased saints.

v1cious wrote:
The fact that they did this sounds like they knew those last episodes were garbage. I wonder if there was kind of executive meddling involved?

Or maybe they read the online reaction (I assume it was the same in Japan).
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Or maybe they read the online reaction (I assume it was the same in Japan).

Yeah, but that's very specific. If you thought your work was good, wouldn't you stand by it? This seems like more than mere pandering.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
RangerDanger wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
Say whaaat???
Look, I'll give you an example so you'll be able to understand my point. A few days ago there was some news about how Land of the Lustrous had won some manga award. I thought that series was utter crap yet a lot of people seem to praise it everywhere, so why the hell would I want to say something like "oh, I can't believe this crap is getting x manga award"??? I get some people actually liked the series and they decided it deserved an award, so good for it, I guess, I'm not going to waste my time whining about how a series I disliked with a passion actually got some award, let alone try to convince anyone who actually enjoyed the series that it was crap, because,believe it or not, people have different tastes... so yeah, that's my eye-rolling for you.
Also, forgot to mention that one of the very maligned last few episodes (I think it was episode 10) contains one of the best scenes of the decade and I don't give a shit if some people here think I'm over-praising it.

Responding to people criticizing a series for the problems it contained simply with an eye-roll doesn’t make the people’s complaints any less valid and it may actually hurt your stance on it if anything else. If you can overlook the problems, that’s fine. Others can’t, so calling them haters over that seems a bit immature and part of your example isn’t that great considering that LotL is much less, if any, divisive over its content than Kado. The other people’s posts before you could have definitely used some work, but simply writing off the series’ problems as “Other people are being haters” with an eye-roll does not make you look favorable in this community and it will not help some in taking you seriously. (What’s also not helping is you framing some of your thoughts on it as if it was fact when it’s not.)

Yes I admittedly could have gone into more detail and posted my criticisms about the series, so I apologize there. I also think people are misunderstanding me, I'm not trying to convince anyone to not like the show. If you like the show that's great and again I respect that your opinion is different than mine. I watched the entire show and felt it had a lot of problems and the reason why I clicked on this article and comments was to see what other people thought, the initial first comment I agreed with and responded with accordingly.

Now why would people that didn't enjoy this series click on this article? Well we spent 4-5 hours watching the entire series, we have opinions and various feelings about it as a whole and we spent a good amount of time watching something that ended up being disappointing to us. Which is unfortunate because for me at the very least I thought it had some interesting ideas and a solid start.

Admittedly my words towards the series are rather harsh as I found myself disappointed with it and surprised it won an award, but I wouldn't call it "crap". The initial post here by "Donhumberto" that I'm responding to that says how he thinks Land Of The Lustrous is crap seems to be very quick to anger. I don't know how much you watched of that series or read of the manga but simply writing it off as "crap" feels like a one dimensional and rash reaction to really any series. As I said I fully admit to not explaining my thoughts on Kado properly either, but I again I wouldn't say it's crap, simply that it had a bunch of things I didn't personally enjoy and things I found to be wrong with it, despite liking various concepts. I just think the common trend of writing something off as "trash/garbage/shit/crap" is unfortunate.

Also "RangerDanger" said in his post Don your approach to responding doesn't work. You come across as hostile and very angry, lashing out at others and you're quick to insult us. You don't ask me what I or anyone else didn't like about the series, instead you assume we're here to be "haters". When in fact I'm here to converse about a series that I thought had potential and I still care enough about it to spend the time engaging in conversation.

In closing I'm not sure how my first response angered you Don, but I was being genuine and I didn't want to argue, I honest to god wasn't trying to insult you. I respect that you and other people like Kado and have a different opinion than my own, but I don't appreciate the attitude and hostility in your responses. Let's just end on that I like Land Of Lustrous and you like Kado, we can just say that neither are crap and instead that we simply have different opinions on what we like, so it would be best to shake hands and move on in my opinion.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Fenrin wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
It's like Suicide Squad winning an Oscar for makeup.

What's wrong with the makeup in Suicide Squad?

I assume the comparison was that they're both widely considered to be bad works of fiction, which each won an award for a single element, which may have been deserved, but is of no consequence since that point does not redeem the work as a whole.

That's ridiculous, they are being awarded on a certain aspect, not the work as a whole, and should be judged as such. If they excelled over the rest in that aspect then they deserve the award. Now I understand there is contention whether Kado deserves even that (still haven't finished the show), but the plot should have nothing to do with whether it deserves an animation award.
kyot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way about the ending episodes doing really controversial and stupid stuff that derails the whole show. It probably hurts more since the premise of the show is interesting, the payoff felt like a disservice to itself and the viewers.
Like going to a french restaurant and enjoying the mood and the fine dining, then getting a Big Mac as the main dish. Personally I didn't hate the ending, but I think it was just lost potential. We were waiting for a cool clash of ideals, but instead we got a Big Mac.

If I thought what made KADO deserve an award, it would be the core premise.
A serious take on humans meeting a higher being, communicating while in awe, then debating whether to use such power, then the reaction of all humanity. That stuff was great, and felt pretty unique to recent anime shows (funny. Planet With is kinda doing the same thing... with giant robots um..). If you look at it not as the normal anime goer reviewing a show, but just KADO's core premise as a candidate for an award, it makes more sense.

And as bad as the ending episodes were, that long spoiler[creating the universe] scene I loved so much. I was so unhappy when they totally cut it out of the movie, though I understand it was probably necessary to keep an average movie length.
I'm sure many people may feel differently about that scene, maybe bored, or unnecessary. But I liked it.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
nDroae wrote:
Fenrin wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

I assume the comparison was that they're both widely considered to be bad works of fiction, which each won an award for a single element, which may have been deserved, but is of no consequence since that point does not redeem the work as a whole.

That's ridiculous, they are being awarded on a certain aspect, not the work as a whole, and should be judged as such. If they excelled over the rest in that aspect then they deserve the award. Now I understand there is contention whether Kado deserves even that (still haven't finished the show), but the plot should have nothing to do with whether it deserves an animation award.

My comparison was mainly personal. Kado and Suicide Squad were both something that I would have liked to finished and felt really good about, as I enjoyed the concept and premise but ultimately didn't enjoy the execution and final product. So both of them winning an award struck a similar note for me.

I will say that in terms of makeup for suicide squad that effort was put in even if I don't like the character designs. I don't discredit the work the makeup department did and they specifically probably deserve an award. I think a lot of the tattoo designs and so fourth that in my opinion didn't look very good are the fault of the director "David Ayer". That appears to be his general aesthetic in a lot of his recent projects.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
So much hate for such a great sci-fi series. The show didn't go off it's rails it just had a twist that honestly was pretty cool. Which is what makes sci fi so fun to watch when they do things like that

Easily one of the best sci-fi anime of the last couple of years and very deserving of the award.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
kyot wrote:
And as bad as the ending episodes were, that long spoiler[creating the universe] scene I loved so much.

I thought that was cool. And I loved Saraka's backstory.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
The show didn't go off it's rails it just had a twist that honestly was pretty cool. Which is what makes sci fi so fun to watch when they do things like that

Early on people were praising the show for being about negotiation rather than fighting, so when it introduced fighting, they felt betrayed. I didn't start watching it until after it was over and the backlash had happened, and I read full spoilers before I started, and I ended up liking it more than most people who got to experience the surprises "unspoiled." Though that was partly because I enjoyed watching a serious show about adults in business suits conducting politics suddenly go spoiler[BOOM! SHE'S A MAGICAL GIRL, BABY!] I love that kind of tonal clash nonsense in anime.

Fenrin wrote:
Now I understand there is contention whether Kado deserves even that (still haven't finished the show), but the plot should have nothing to do with whether it deserves an animation award.

nDroae wrote:
...if they were doing their jobs properly as judges, they should have voted based on the animation without letting the story influence their decision.

We agree. Personally I think it looked great, incomparably better than stuff like Ajin, though I suppose Land of the Lustrous is a more "justifiable," "artistic" use of CG (excluding the Kado elements, which obviously had to be CG).
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

Apparently you have to be critically acclaimed to win an award especially something as prestigious, super important and holy like the Oscars.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So much hate for such a great sci-fi series. The show didn't go off it's rails it just had a twist that honestly was pretty cool. Which is what makes sci fi so fun to watch when they do things like that

Easily one of the best sci-fi anime of the last couple of years and very deserving of the award.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so Wink Also really glad to see someone mentioning that scene of the creation of the universe. It was just stunningly beautiful (and it was in one of those final episodes).
I apologize if I sounded too harsh on my earlier posts (specially at Hobosoup, whose response was really tactful and nice to read) but it was a combination of not having free time at all (hence the emojis) and feeling quite frustated at the lack of love this series gets around the anime fandom. I mean, it's not like we have 50+ series per year that could be considered as a serious take on sci-fi (we are obvioulsy not talking about isekai or rom-coms here). It's undeniable, wheter you liked it or not, that Kado was a really unique series for the anime medium, so seeing it trashed like it was some run-of-the mill harem series (it's just an example) makes me really angry.
You see, I get that the last 3 episodes were not as good as the rest, but they were still pretty damn good. It's pretty much a Death Note scenario (on a much smaller scale, obviously) where a certain character's death made the last string of episodes not as good as the rest (I personally think they were also awesome but that's another story) and therefore made a ton of people overreact and bash the series to no end, when actually those last 12 or so episodes (in the case of Death Note) -or 3 in the case of Kado- were way better than 90 % of the stuff we get every year.
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
^You’re treating your opinion as if it was fact again. Where did you even get an arbitrary number such as 90% since I doubt you have watched everything that comes out every year to make such a baseless assumption? Even if it was one of the best, there wouldn’t be as many people saying differently about the series than what you currently are, not to mention it has hardly received much talk surrounding it ever since the series ended. If you really enjoyed the series, than other people’s thoughts on it shouldn’t really get to you and make you so angry, unless you too also had at least some doubt towards what you see in it. If you want to continue doing your habits, that’s your bag, but don’t be surprised if some others will be skeptical of you going forward.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
anime#15053

^ This series won the 2015 award for a special episode.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everyone is wasting their time arguing about
Kado's merits as a story. They're evaluating it on completely different standards.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Although it's true Kado was a big advance in terms of CGI animation in a TV show I would think of another 2017 show that had an even more impressive CGI visuals: Houseki no Kuni.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3