• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Colors Look Different In Remastered Classic Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
When i got Outlaw Star a couple of years ago on Blu-Ray, i was surprised at how much brighter the colours are compared to the DVD version.

That was a problem with the DVDs I think. I remember when a friend of mine got the DVDs years ago and they looked at lot more dull than my LD copy. They also cut out the preview video which came before episode 1!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Now I'm curious what sort of wrinkles related to color could come up after converting into PAL.
If you mean a PAL conversion from an NTSC source, I'd presume any color errors would be magnified. Some of my anime DVDs from France are like this, where the picture is field-blended.
This wouldn't apply to a PAL master taken directly from an HD or film source, which would probably have colors more stable than an NTSC version. Sometimes a company like Manga UK would do such a transfer if they had access to the right materials.
I remember watching TV in the UK before the switch to digital and thought the image was a lot better than what I was used to in the US at the time.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Shop around. You can often find used ones on Ebay or similar fairly inexpensively. It was a very hot item years ago, but it does not have an HDMI output so I don't know how useful it will be in the future.

I will be looking around. Amazon was definitely not the place to look! I will also be looking for a better option, too.

Shiflan wrote:

Sounds great. Personally I don't care if the "Holiday in Bali" stuff is on there, but I like the music videos a lot.

Pretty sure it has all the music videos, and some new music videos, and holiday in Bali, and more and more. They really knocked this one out. Should still be available on their website.
The new one they are doing is a Blu-Ray of Gunsmith Cats, including some new extra content from Sunichi Konada. They have already redone Riding Bean.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think this article fails to address the question of what ability animators had to anticipate the way the colors would change along the production process. There was likely a bell curve for results, such that animators would have some idea as to what colors on cells would have the highest likelihood of producing desired colors on screen. Similarly, print materials, especially early internal ones, should give a good idea of what the target was.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
I think this article fails to address the question of what ability animators had to anticipate the way the colors would change along the production process. There was likely a bell curve for results, such that animators would have some idea as to what colors on cells would have the highest likelihood of producing desired colors on screen. Similarly, print materials, especially early internal ones, should give a good idea of what the target was.

Justin stated that the director would supervise the color-correction process, so I assume that the director would likewise supervise the choice of colors being used by the animators too.

Print materials have a lot of wiggle room too: Blending ink for a printing press is just as analog as mixing paint colors is. Furthermore, what the color looks like is also highly dependant on many variables, like the intensity and type of lighting in the room. The video equipment is never consistent either. So even if the director stood in front of a monitor holding a paint swatch or a printed image with the "perfect color" and matched them exactly they would no longer match when the same video was viewed on a different screen, or even on the same screen but with different room lighting.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
When Saint Seiya got that terrible upscale for the BD release, what bothered me even more than the DNR and the outline-darkening filter was the fact that they didn't bother color-correcting the first 28 episodes or so, which are filled with green skies that are obviously not supposed to look like that, especially if you compare them to the original cels or even the broadcast masters.

And it's curious that Justin picked an Evangelion screenshot for this article, because some episodes had poor color corrections when they got remastered in HD, especially 19, which features some odd occurrences like Asuka's hair getting darker between shots even though she's still in the cockpit. Whenever the show finally gets licensed in the US again, it would be cool if the distributor (probably Funimation) looked into fixing that, although I'm not sure Khara and King Records would allow that kind of tampering with the video.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
*cough*Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box*cough*
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, I made some flashcards.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Not seen any Blu-Rays of older series but the difference between DVD and VHS/Broadcast was very noticeable in the early 2000's. I preferred VHS (other than for shows with heavy primary colour use and simple shapes e.g. Evangelion, Dai Guard) and nowadays when you see a show on TV that you saw first time around you can quite clearly see when they are now using a DVD copy as the source having lost/never had access to the original Analog copy. The TV showings of Samurai Champloo and Eureka Seven from DVD for example are painful.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
All this talk of image quality but not one comparison image anywhere.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@Shiflan

You need to look for the Bubblegum Crisis Hurricane Live! DVD. It contains nothing but the music videos. A total of 13 tracks (with both live and animated versions of Touchdown to Tommorow).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Pretty sure it has all the music videos, and some new music videos, and holiday in Bali, and more and more. They really knocked this one out. Should still be available on their website.
The new one they are doing is a Blu-Ray of Gunsmith Cats, including some new extra content from Sunichi Konada. They have already redone Riding Bean.

Yeah. Really can't wait to see Gunsmith Cats on their remastered blu-ray.

MarshalBanana wrote:
When i got Outlaw Star a couple of years ago on Blu-Ray, i was surprised at how much brighter the colours are compared to the DVD version.

Oh man, the Outlaw Star blu-rays look shockingly good.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
All this talk of image quality but not one comparison image anywhere.

LOL! We are talking, and not making exhaustive analysis. As far as LD vs DVD, about all I can do is take a picture of the TV. Anyway, it is mostly subjective anyway.

If you are curious about the comparisons on the BGC and Haibane encodes.. here comes
a link! (couldn't find a good one for BGC)

Haibane Renmei - https://cff.ssw.net/merchandise/bluray-r2-set.htm

Alan45 wrote:

You need to look for the Bubblegum Crisis Hurricane Live! DVD. It contains nothing but the music videos. A total of 13 tracks (with both live and animated versions of Touchdown to Tommorow).

Hurricane Live 2032 AND Hurricane Live 2033,. and some new stuff, remastered old stuff, Holiday in Bali.. pretty much any official video extra.

DangerMouse wrote:

Yeah. Really can't wait to see Gunsmith Cats on their remastered blu-ray.
<snippage>
Oh man, the Outlaw Star blu-rays look shockingly good.

I really need to look at the Outlaw Star BD! Love that show. Any new Extras in that release?

And yeah. GSC is one of my favorites. I did the Kickstarter, probably like you did.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
Now I'm curious what sort of wrinkles related to color could come up after converting into PAL.
If you mean a PAL conversion from an NTSC source, I'd presume any color errors would be magnified.

Yep, that's what I meant. I was under the impression that PAL generally can show a wider variety of color more distinctly than NTSC, but I'm not entirely certain about how. I was curious if that affected their authoring process in some unique way, what with the materials coming from a place meant to broadcast in NTSC.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When it comes to presentation of anything that came from an analog source, if you're talking about color tint, saturation levels, the amount of grain, the brightness/contrast levels, there actually is no such thing as "correct".

Eh.....This is wrong. "Correct" is very simply however the artist intended it to be. You correctly state later that they might not remember how they wanted it to be, but I also think you underestimate people's memory when it comes to stuff like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3