• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Netflix Good For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
@#854626 Polygon (not a studio i love) has been animating US toons constantly since My Friends Tigger & Pooh in 2007. Star Wars Resistance also looks amazing. The scripts only truly picked up with EP VII tie-in a week ago but the production itself sets new standard for CG anime on TV. By a mile even. They also worked on many games.

All sort of anime studios did work for WB too. As TMS (that´s how they won an Emmy!) or Sunrise. The Bebop staff animated for Batman TAS specifically. Madhouse did a lot of (mediocre) Marvel anime and so on. US-Japanese collaborations are about the most heathy thing anime studios can do.

@BadNewsBlues The plural of anime is also anime. Unless you live in Germany.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And as for their ability to overpay for licenses... well, let's just say that $2 billion dollars in annual deficit spending is going to catch up with them sooner or later.
So will that be like a bubble burst, or will it just be isolated to Netflix with little ripple effect.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana Disney is about to own 60% of Hulu when the Fox deal goes tough. That´s where the hard PG-13 and R/TV-Ma stuff will go and Disney+ is about to launch. The Netflix of the very near future won´t be the Netflix of today, full stop.

December of 2018 alone had 64 new shows or films on Netflix... Shocked outside of their their bewilderingly huge deficit. They are likely to big to fail but their days of dominance are about to end regardless of the spending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The oddity about Netflix, so far as I see it, is that they do more self-promotion than promotion of their content. It seems to me that they market more along the lines of "come to us, you'll love it" whereas most other services tend to go the route of "come to us, we've got show X." That, in addition to their black-boxing virtually all data, they can throw spending numbers out there and it means almost nothing to anyone.

They've reportedly just dropped $100M to stream Friends in 2019. Is that because Friends is that valuable a property, or because there was a mini riot when it was thought they were going to lose it? I saw some analysis that suggested that at less than 1% of budget, and with more than 1% aggregate viewership, this makes it a bargain. If that is the sort of logic they are using, you would have to question how much they actually care about any anime fans, as I'm sure they don't even approach a 1% aggregate viewership base. Extend that sort of logic to all streaming properties, and it makes sense that any budget that might go to promoting anything would be infinitesimal, let alone any budget directed towards anime promotion where they can assume word of mouth is going to carry anything they've got under their belt.

The concern I have heard from some regarding not necessarily anime on Netflix, but Netflix in general, is that they acquire shows specifically to let them die on the vine - to keep them off other competitors and let them get lost in the deluge of content Netflix has. This would suggest nefarious intent, not merely a choice in business strategy. That was some of the reaction when Daredevil was cancelled, particularly when the cast and producers at Marvel suggested they'd been blindsided by the announcement. could just be sour grapes of a show that failed, but the point is, because Netflix has zero transparency on these things, we don't know, which leaves a divided audience - some thinking Netflix a villain, some thinking the folks behind the show put together a bad show. How do you find out? Netflix hopes you pay a subscription fee and watch.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
@MarshalBanana Disney is about to own 60% of Hulu when the Fox deal goes tough. That´s where the hard PG-13 and R/TV-Ma stuff will go and Disney+ is about to launch. The Netflix of the very near future won´t be the Netflix of today, full stop.

December of 2018 alone had 64 new shows or films on Netflix... Shocked outside of their their bewilderingly huge deficit. They are likely to big to fail but their days of dominance are about to end regardless of the spending.

The last big foreign regulator that the Disney-Fox merger has to get approved by is Brazil. If Brazil says "no", which I hope they seeing as how Disney owns too much (the same applies to AT&T owning WarnerMedia), then it's my understanding that cancels out the entire transaction. So, I think it's more of a case of "Disney is about to own 60% of Hulu IF the Fox deal gets approved".
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
This random Youtuber made the best summary i saw or read that explains what Netflix "original" anime is and what the platform does for the industry:
How Does Netflix Affect the Anime Industry? | Anime Studio Spotlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTmvoz7Smw&index=308&list=LLcMjMEYzJUHveLUKw6UkYcg&t=0s .

Random Youtuber? Callum frequently writes for this site. He was even on last year's 'Best Anime of 2017' podcast.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like in weird position when it comes to anime on Netflix. Yes, it does suck really much waiting for certain TV series to be fully available after they're done with their Japanese TV run (e.g. Violet Evergarden for anyone in the U.S.), and it wrecks my rhythm in discussing it on a weekly basis. But it is fascinating how it bought in a relatively good number of anime originals onto the platform like from BONES, Production I.G., or other well-known creators and studios (quality notwithstanding of course). I can't exactly say no on giving them a shot.

residentgrigo wrote:
This random Youtuber made the best summary i saw or read that explains what Netflix "original" anime is and what the platform does for the industry:
How Does Netflix Affect the Anime Industry? | Anime Studio Spotlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTmvoz7Smw&index=308&list=LLcMjMEYzJUHveLUKw6UkYcg&t=0s

Fun fact. That "random Youtuber" is named Callum May, and he has done a number of articles here in ANN. That video is still worth a watch though!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
The oddity about Netflix, so far as I see it, is that they do more self-promotion than promotion of their content.

They depend on getting the viewer to the site - and then the algorithm takes over in promoting content. Yet, while YMMV, the algorithm seems to be broken when it comes to anime... I have a profile that has never watched anything but anime, and 90% of the recommendations are for not-anime. Of my other profiles likely to have anime recommended, anime recommendations are rare to practically the point of non-existence. What recommendations there are, are invariably for Netflix Originals. (The true originals, that haven't and won't appear via other sources.)

So... they may be throwing a ton of money at anime, but it's not clear to me they're doing much beyond throwing a ton of money in hopes of catching a few fish they can steer towards the rest of their content.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
My issue with Netflix isn’t necessarily the distribution and marketing. They are a successful company and they know what they are doing.

I’m mostly concerned about the shows themselves. Judging by what Netflix has already produced, their shows are very different from traditional Japanese anime. A lot of them can barely be called anime. What are the chances that Netflix will produce something like Shirobako? Not very likely. How about something like Hyouka? Almost impossible.

Anime is Japanese, and we like it for what it is. If I wanted to watch a Hollywood action flick, I’d go watch a Hollywood action flick.

It's actually quite the opposite. I mean, for anyone following the anime industry in the last decade is painfully obvious that pretty much 80-90% of the shows are super otaku-centric (be it moe, isekai, otome, shonen...etc. And both Shirobako and Hyouka are pretty otaku-ish, if you ask me). It is just a tiny percentage of the shows being produced that actually don't fit into that mould (stuff like 91 days or Megalobox) that should be considered an endangered species.
And that's why it's truly positive in my opinion to have Netflix doing stuff like Devilman, Castlevania, B or Hero Mask (which I love to bits and deserves much better credit than it's getting... but that's another story). I'm pretty sure those shows would have never happened had it not been for Netflix, so yeah, you could say I'm pretty damn grateful to them and look forward to see what they have in store for the coming years
Xe4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The experience for anime fans may be mixed but I really haven't heard a good argument that Netflix isn't good for the anime industry (and in a wider sense animation) itself.

Yeah tons of shows go underexposed at Netflix, but they would've been underexposed if they had ended up on Crunchyroll or Funimation as well, barring a few notable shows like MHA. Netflix's existence allows people who otherwise don't follow animation that much to be get into shows, which broadens the appeal of the medium and allows more risky projects to be made. And that's even outside of the absolutely insane ammount of money they've been investing into anime (and again, animation in general) production.

People thinking Netflix is bad as a whole due to them not having the week by week viewing experience have a view that is too narrow IMO. It may be bad for fans and those discussing shows online, but I really don't see it as harmful to the industry as a whole.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Look...

I don't think one should have wholesale faith in Funimation when it comes to marketing. Just one simple look back at their past showcases that even with resources they're able to mess up like everyone else.

So in this regard Gen should eat some humble pie and stop talking.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
The concern I have heard from some regarding not necessarily anime on Netflix, but Netflix in general, is that they acquire shows specifically to let them die on the vine - to keep them off other competitors and let them get lost in the deluge of content Netflix has. This would suggest nefarious intent, not merely a choice in business strategy. That was some of the reaction when Daredevil was cancelled, particularly when the cast and producers at Marvel suggested they'd been blindsided by the announcement. could just be sour grapes of a show that failed, but the point is, because Netflix has zero transparency on these things, we don't know, which leaves a divided audience - some thinking Netflix a villain, some thinking the folks behind the show put together a bad show. How do you find out? Netflix hopes you pay a subscription fee and watch.

This is what I don't like from Netflix. It just screams shadiness of some kind. And their business practices with not telling us numbers and all that is on a verge of some sort of pyramid scam stuff. Just screams its going to fail/bubble burst on them soon and many innocent people caught up in it.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
My issue with Netflix isn’t necessarily the distribution and marketing. They are a successful company and they know what they are doing.

I’m mostly concerned about the shows themselves. Judging by what Netflix has already produced, their shows are very different from traditional Japanese anime. A lot of them can barely be called anime. What are the chances that Netflix will produce something like Shirobako? Not very likely. How about something like Hyouka? Almost impossible.

Anime is Japanese, and we like it for what it is. If I wanted to watch a Hollywood action flick, I’d go watch a Hollywood action flick.

Then good. Leave those kinds of shows to CR/Sentai/FUNi, companies who actually gives a f--- about simulcasting.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is NOT good for anime. Idc what anyone says. As long as they refuse weekly Streams and have such low quality subtitles (and dub scripts, for that matter), they will not be good. They can improve but so far they have shown no interest in doing so. I just watched Devilman last week. It came out in January, 11 months ago, and it was still littered with subtitle errors every few episodes and translation oddities. They hold shows back months after airing in Japan and still have either just as many, or MORE errors as fansubbers of the same shows. They put no extra time or money into making quality better. They just buy anime, slap their "Netflix Original" brand on it, and pretend hire the cheapest people to translate/sub it. No one can argue that that is good for anime.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

This is what I don't like from Netflix. It just screams shadiness of some kind. And their business practices with not telling us numbers and all that is on a verge of some sort of pyramid scam stuff. Just screams its going to fail/bubble burst on them soon and many innocent people caught up in it.

Considering the fact that Americans don't like to spend their money on bad products and that they have a very strong culture of accountability, that's a very reasonable concern. Had being Netflix a traditional movie company, it would have gone bankrupt years ago. But, since you have to pay for the priviledge to use the platform, that means the money you spend in a few successful works also funds the work of the rest of the not-so-great stuff, which in other traditional companies it would be paramount for fraud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5