• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8daze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not #4. Just...no. Not right for the part. I also just can't like #2. Too hesitant for the role.

Between #1 and #3 was tough, but I could just see #3 better in the role.

And still just one vote separating them. I wonder if this poll is updated live...?

ETA: A quick refresh shows that it is indeed live. Wow, that's a tight race. Better not let Florida start voting.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Agreed! The poll results so far has a ridiculously close competition between #1 and #3. Shocked

Why must Yuki be this difficult?!! Laughing
8daze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, I just have to give it up to Bandai here real quick. This is a brilliant marketing strategy.

*It keeps the fans involved.

*It makes sure that no one forgets the show just because it's not currently airing.

*It reduces the amount of criticism they have to take from people who end up not liking the final product.

*It lets people produce the product they would be most likely to buy.

*It gets massive amounts of free publicity.

*And, most of all, it's respectful to the fans. That's how I see it at least, that rather than the tone that some companies take of "We made it, now you have to like it," Bandai seems to be acknowledging that there are fans out there who care about the quality of their dubbed anime, and they're not stupid or childish for doing so. Right now, Bandai (and Kadokawa) are garnering a lot of respect and brand loyalty from me.
hara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
3 is the best choice.
Number 1 was too "friendly" in a way whereas number 3 was totally neutral as Yuki simply is.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I believe #3 to be Lara Jill Miller (Kari from Digimon Adventure). Her voice and #1 are both excellent fits for Yuki; the tie between them is well warranted.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
3 sorts sounds too deep IMO. Either 1 or 3 is fine though; there's almost no difference. XP
Sango chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I really like #1 and #3. they both sound really good for Yuki. but I like #1 a tiny bit more. #3 was a tiny bit too deep. also #1 sounds just like the actress for the japanese one. I wanted to click the japanese one again and when i heard the actress say the name, i thought i clicked on number one again when i didn't want to. lol. but either way 1 or 3 if one of them gets the part, i'll be happy.
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, I cannot get over how dead even 1 and 3 are in the polls. It's too tense Shocked

To me, voice #3 lacks a certain frailty that seemed to come through with the Japanese VA. I always thought it was great that she sounded meek, spoiler[yet she wielded phenominal cosmic power]. I think #1 is about as good as I could hope for from an english VA.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
8daze wrote:
Bandai seems to be acknowledging that there are fans out there who care about the quality of their dubbed anime, and they're not stupid or childish for doing so. Right now, Bandai (and Kadokawa) are garnering a lot of respect and brand loyalty from me.
Agreed.

First Kadokawa went to the trouble of using ADV in addition to Funimation so that FMP!: TSR could have the same English dub cast, now they're having these polls. Even if the polls aren't really going to influence anything, it's still a huge gesture to the fans to actually seek our opinion on the voices.

It seems like they want to please the core fans first and foremost, which is a very wise business move IMHO, since there is no guarantee that anyone else will buy the DVDs. Best to please the core fan base first to generate positive word of mouth and good initial sales, especially since core fans are likely to be the ones getting others to buy Haruhi in the first place.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
#1 was the winner right from the start for me. The way all the others start out is really almost like blurred hearing or something to that effect.

Richard J. wrote:
Wonder how long we're going to have to wait to here Haruhi herself.

Kyon should be some good competition as well, don't you think? Wink
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If the dub somehow doesn't work out, we now only have ourselves (or our peers) to blame. Razz
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
#1's voice sounded the most like Yuki, but #3 had the way Yuki talks down better. So I went with #3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
strongbad123 wrote:
Yeah 1 is Ed from Cowboy Bebop

Ehhhh, no. #1 is actually Kate Higgins. Drakh from DubReview deciphered them here. But in all honesty, choosing between #1 and #3 was pretty tough.

I also thought that #1 was probably Melissa Fahn. I haven't listened to many of Kate Higgins's performances so I don't know her range that well having only listened to Scrapped Princess, Naruto, and Eureka 7 for a short time before putting them on hold. The range I do know does not sound very similar to sample #1.

I also though that #4 was Jennifer Sekiguchi, not Stephanie Sheh.

This is all based on memory but as absurd as it sounds, I memorized the voice range and patterns of a lot of LA voice actors (the veterans in particular ) from listening to so many Animaze and Bang Zoom! Entertainment dubs.

My opinion on this poll is #3, Michelle Ruff, with #1 a very close second.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
I also though that #4 was Jennifer Sekiguchi, not Stephanie Sheh.

They're the same person.
Mayo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that 1 and 3 sounded the best, but if I'd have to chose between one of the two, I would chose 3 because 1 sounded like she was trying a little too hard and yuki's voice has to sound natural with out changing the tone of the voice too much, all plain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9