• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do Publishers Sometimes Stop Publishing Manga Before They're Finished?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse never finishing Eden: It's an Endless World is on of the best examples of this, honestly surprised they were able to finish releasing Blade of the Immortal.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I find it's the abandoned novels, not manga,that annoys me the most. Twelve Kingdoms. Full Metal Panic. Slayers.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Dark Horse never finishing Eden: It's an Endless World is on of the best examples of this, honestly surprised they were able to finish releasing Blade of the Immortal.

Blade of the Immortal was a best-seller for Dark Horse, so it's no surprise that it got finished. As for Eden, Dark Horse has stated numerous time before that they haven't actually cancelled it, because they definitely want to finish it. It's just that it sells so poorly that they don't feel comfortable putting out a new volume that will easily lose them money. A similar situation happened with Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, and DH even tried re-releasing that via omnibuses. While the first omnibus for Kurosagi reportedly sold well, the other three bombed hard, so that manga's been similarly left to drown.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of dropped manga-series here in Russia that I really wanted to finish somehow. Luckily I've bought the last volume of Bizenghast but Blood Sucker was never published in US and the same goes for Kyoko Karasuma no Jikenbo, Aflame Inferno, Mizuho Ambivalence and Unbalance x Unbalance.

Also I really want to complete my Petshop of Horrors: Tokyo collection- there were only 8 volumes published by Tokyopop (
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely want to buy Junjo Romantica, they only did 12 volumes. Also Saiyuki and D.N. Angel. I'd be happy to buy digital if they didn't want to do printed copies. I've always wanted the Yakumo Psychic Detective novels which have never been printed in English and they didn't finish the manga.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Translucent is my unfinished gem. I don't think it had too many volumes to it (I only know of 5 volumes), but only the first 3 have been published, with no comment or anything from Dark Horse for years about whether or not the rest of it will be published. I want to give up the volumes I own, but at the same time, I feel like I'd regret it if I did. So I keep them on my shelf, knowing that likely the rest of the series will never come out, but still loving the volumes I do have.

Butterfly is another one, but I didn't actually buy the first book. I'm a bit happy about that, but also unhappy because Tokyopop closed down sometime after it came out, with the 2nd volume solicited but then was cancelled. It's another short series, far as I'm aware, but no one has tried to pick up the license for it after Tokyopop's closure.

With both series, I feel like they'll never be picked up and completed though. Mostly due to their age and their niche storytelling, I feel.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The one manga I wanted to get the most was... *points at avatar* Moyashimon. I only got the first volume Anime cry.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Crayon Shin-chan is an interesting case. The manga has 50 volumes, plus an ongoing revival called "New Crayon Shin-chan" (8 volumes so far). How many volumes are available in North America? Only 12! And we don't even have the revival series.

It's amazing that the series has been license-rescued 4 times, yet each publisher keeps dropping it within volume 10-12.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This is why I'm wary of starting to buy any series longer than 5 volumes.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Still too soon to talk about Border's death T.T
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Let's have a moment of silence for Gintama. And Reborn. And Strawberry 100%. And Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs (which only had five volumes left). And Zatch Bell. And Bastard!!.

Man, Viz used to be bad about this.

Ah, Strawberry 100%, how I miss you....it was the first series I went online to find the unpublished chapters to see who Junpei chose, and yeah, VIZ is on my list of publishers I dread reading their longer series (Kurohime, was another series I got burned reading).
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Maybe one day the rest of Swan will get picked up.

This! This series SO MUCH! I was hoping with all the ballroom dancing manga that have been doing pretty well lately (Welcome to the Ballroom's pretty popular, 10 Dance is coming out soon), that maybe someone would be brave enough to get this series. I have the 15 vols that came out at least, but there's not even fan scans for the rest Crying or Very sad

Wandering Son is another huge one. I'm trans, do you know how rare representation of us is? It was being translated BY a trans-woman on top of it! She's still translating for D&Q (mostly Moto Hagio). I don't care if they continue it in paperback or something cheaper, that's fine. But now it's OOP, and we were only halfway through the series!

I would also love for the last few volumes of Cromartie High School to come out, but I can also see that not happening. At least Cromartie didn't have any sort of "plot" to speak of.

Some other ones, just to quicklist: Demon Sacred, Moyashimon, Rebirth, Lizzie Newton, The Embalmer (to be fair, it was on hiatus when TP published it up to said current volume) and I'll just pre-emptively put Kaze Hikaru here. I can't put Itazura na Kiss here, because DMP actually did finish it, but only sold it through akadot for like, 2 months and you'd have to be psychic to even know it was ever listed (I, however, am psychic, so I have my copies of vol 11 and 12, though there is an Amazon digital release for the entire series, so better than nothing!)

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
My beef is with Dark Horse, where you can never really tell if a series was canceled or not. Psycho Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami would be done with issue 6, issue 4 was released in March 18, before that, releases came out about every 6 months or quicker.

Bride of the Water God hasn't been released since 2015 (vol. 17), but the series is finished with 24 volumes.

Korosagi Corpse Delivery Service - 14 out of 24 volumes. They even re-released the first 12 volumes into omnibus editions.

I totally would have bought Ghost Talker's Daydream, but I figured it was canceled (6/10)before picking it up, which is a semi-win, I guess.

Personally, I assume those are canceled, am angry with the publisher and hesitate to buy anything new from them. They could at least be honest about it.

Other than that, that Moyashimon and Wandering Son aren't released further is also not great, but at least understandable.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Truth be told, since several people mentioned it, I'm shocked Viz stuck with Gintama as long as they did (23 volumes). I had never heard of it when the first volume hit shelves and the anime had been airing for about two years at that point but didn't seem to yet have the following in the US that it eventually got. So I doubt it was ever selling that well so I'm glad Viz stuck with it as long as they did as truth be told while I do enjoy the anime I think it's way funnier in manga form.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Let's have a moment of silence for Gintama. And Reborn. And Strawberry 100%. And Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs (which only had five volumes left). And Zatch Bell. And Bastard!!.

Man, Viz used to be bad about this.

Is hayate the combat butler still getting any new volumes or has viz canceled that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6