• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Carole & Tuesday Anime Reveals Promo Video, Cast, Apr

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know where the two main singers are from?
BlueOla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
The site stated that the anime is the "world's first Japanese anime to have all English vocals"
Is that true? I just feel that may not be the case, there are certainly shows that have had English language OPs and EDs.

There's a pretty obvious difference between English OPs an EDs and ALL vocals in an anime about music (clearly including some singing in the anime itself) being in English. And I mean I think they're right - how often do anime characters sing in English in other anime? I can't think of anything except of a passing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or London Bridge is Falling Down.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:

If you go on the official site, they have their profiles written in English there. The black lady is from New York and the other seems to be Japanese.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Crabtree1 wrote:

and the other seems to be Japanese.
she's half Japanese. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/セレイナ・アン
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Booo! Netflix!

Lemonchest wrote:
They're gonna show the world that you don't need to be a robot to write robotic pop music.

Takkun4343 wrote:
I dunno, I'm sure plenty of people fondly remember Space Dandy, no matter how much ANN pushes the whole "it wasn't successful therefore nobody liked it" agenda.

Space Dandy was good overall. But it was missing that oomph that Cowboy Bebop had, which is of course a disservice to Dandy, because these are two totally different shows tonally, and Bebop really was the right thing in the right place at the right time to be the phenomenon it was. So it would be unfair to expect any creator to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

InimitableUman wrote:
It's cool that the music is all in English and that they actually got a black woman to sing for Carole, but nothing else about this anime seems interesting to me. Like, how many times have we seen strong female friendships and a sci-fi background setting in an anime? A lot. And there's a lot of anime that have a strong music focus too, which doesn't automatically make it a good show. We'll see about this one. Right now I'm more interested in Sarazanmai even though that's more of Ikuhara's shtick.

Well production values and setting and a non-asian cast in a non-Japanese setting with this style of character design are certainly something that offers something refreshing.

Rather than the 2nd Coming of Cowboy Bebop. I'm more looking forward to this as the 2nd coming of BECK Mongolian Chop Squad.

If there's anything to be excited for it's simply that it's another Shinichiro Watanabe anime, and the music he gets for all his shows, from Macross+ to Bebop to Champloo to Kids on the Slope to Terror in Resonance is always quality stuff.

This clearly isn't aiming to be another imitation of Idolmaster, or K-On despite its premise. The emphasis on English vocals alone puts that to rest.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Is that true? I just feel that may not be the case, there are certainly shows that have had English language OPs and EDs.

We take this to mean that due to the location being more western and the cast being largely non-Asian that it's intended to be understood that in this setting English is the local and global/martian spoken language, and the music will reflect that by being originally composed in English and sung by English vocalists. Quite different than just an OP/ED.

I think I might actually prefer to watch this dubbed the first time.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Crabtree1 wrote:

If you go on the official site, they have their profiles written in English there. The black lady is from New York and the other seems to be Japanese.

Ah right! Thank you BlueOla and Axbox 360.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
That cast list is excellent. Hopefully these characters will have that special Watanabe spark.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
From about 20 years ago...

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. They have machines for that now too.

Ha ha, right? But it was about that time period when a friend told me about going to see some band, it was just two guys. One had a guitar, the other had a bass, and there was a component rack with a bunch of wires connected. The "drummer" was one of those boxes. He and his date didn't stick around.

I suppose it's inevitable. Computer programs are the perfect hit makers, so far as the money grubbers in the suits are concerned. They will never O.D. on heroin or drive into a freeway divider at 150, never tweet in support of a politically incorrect cause or ditch the career to join a fringe cult, never break up the band for "artistic differences". Currently there are only three corporations which account for 95% of the new music sales revenue worlldwide. You don't think these guys would love to be able to cut actual human musicians out of the equation completely? That's why the future that Watanabe-sensei envisions is not so far-fetched.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed the update of the article that said this is going to be 2 cours which is really surprising and quite ambitious! Shocked

BlueOla wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:
Like, how many times have we seen strong female friendships and a sci-fi background setting in an anime? A lot.

A lot? Have we been watching different anime all these years? I mean sure, we've seen a lot of strong female friendships and a lot of sci-fi, but not, you know, AT THE SAME TIME. Add to that the music element and it sounds like a really fun mix.

InimitableUman wrote:

And there's a lot of anime that have a strong music focus too, which doesn't automatically make it a good show.

No one's saying that it does, but yeah, we're excited to hear the music, especially that this clearly won't be just another idol anime or anything like that.

If I can infer from the synopsis, I bet we're going to see these 2 girls create music that will probably buck the Martian pop music scene. Maybe they'll even come into conflict against the big music tech company that developed the music AI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2