• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Quintessential Quintuplets: Nino is Best Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
As someone whose only knowledge of this series is what's gleaned from this article, lemme see if I can distinguish between the girls and make guesses on their personalities.

Based on the first picture, from left to right:

1. Ichika - The independent one, focused on finding a job, but is a disaster with housework and taking care of herself. Most likely to go drinking with buddies/co-workers.

2. Yotsuba - The happy-go-lucky, cheerful one. (There is very little on her in the article, I'm mainly going by her smile and bunny-rabbit bow hairstyle).

3. Itsuki - The tsundere. (Is probably the one most likely to end up with Potato-kun).

4. Nino - The honest, forthright, sensible one. Will straight up tell you if she doesn't like you, but will be the first to admit if she does.

5. Miku - The shy, motherly one that has a secret geeky side. The Yamato Nadeshiko of the group hiding an inner otaku.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know who I consider Best Girl yet, but I will say this: the ANN writers really set themselves up with a shipping-type article.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
Crisha wrote:
As someone whose only knowledge of this series is what's gleaned from this article, lemme see if I can distinguish between the girls and make guesses on their personalities.

Impressive! Pretty good guesses!

spoiler[Now guess which one is yandere Razz]
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Crisha wrote:

Impressive! Pretty good guesses!

spoiler[Now guess which one is yandere Razz]

spoiler[Ooooh, wow, yandere! Impressive. I think that takes Itsuki out of the running, as the resident tsundere. If they're going for shock factor, then it's probably going to be the cutest/sweetest ones, which I would guess be Yotsuba or Miku. Ichika feels like she already has so many flaws attached to her and seems the least likely to end up with Potato-kun, so I don't know if I'd give her more baggage. Also, I don't necessarily know if the "dere" part fits with the personality I'm imagining her as. As for Nino, having a secret, hidden side would directly contradict with the honest personality I'm subscribing her as... though I guess that would be the biggest shock of all, if she was.

Anyways, if I'm going with first impressions - and since I know the least about her - I'd guess it would be Yotsuba.]

Feel free to spoiler me on the answer, and what I got right or wrong from my initial impressions on the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
This is actually not a harem because it actually looks comfortable.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly, when he's not being a teacher, he's kind of a dick. He's not a huge asshole, but he's definitely the kind of person who can say something insensitive and then not understand when people get ticked off at him.

So, what's worse: someone doing that, or someone knowingly saying something insensitive and rude, and doesn't care?
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
The two factors that make the show enjoyable for me:
- No stupid stuff with the little sister. She's there to show the pressure on Potato-kun to keep the job, and it works
- No apparent best girl for the protagonist. In most shows it is rather clear who the best fit for our hero would be which takes a lot of fun out of the shenanigans
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Anybody that says Nino is best girl is crazy! She's probably on the most attractive side but her personality ain't nice

Ichika or Miku. Mainly just Miku are best girls although now she's not getting enough screen time
pip25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Crisha wrote:
Feel free to spoiler me on the answer, and what I got right or wrong from my initial impressions on the characters.

Interestingly enough, while your first guesses were pretty accurate, this one is totally wrong. spoiler[The girl who got closest to being "yandere" (well, it's more like being willing to employ foul play to win the male lead's heart) is actually Ichika. She crossed a few lines in the recent chapters.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2