• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hajime no Ippo's George Morikawa: 'I've Probably Only Covered About Half the Material So Far'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:

Did you forget the rest of Ippo's massive main cast that are still trying and thriving?

The massive main cast consists of

Takamura whose still trucking on to conquer 6 weight classes all the while occasionally being an asshole.....and as of the Duck fight I believe was experiencing the onset of an eye problem.

Aoki and Kimura have been grinding their wheels since since the Imai and Mashiba fights.

Itagaki had his momentum stopped with unnecessary lost to Imae

Miyata hasn't had a significant fight since I believe the Randy fight.

So yeah the remainder of the cast are either not doing anything worthwhile or doing anything at all.

Ethe wrote:

As someone who hasn't read a single chapter of Hajime no Ippo, even I can tell the whole retirement thing is another stepping stone in Ippo's character arc and he'll eventually start boxing again. It seems like a really good conflict to throw at your main character and yet people keep freaking out about it.

The retirement angle was stupid to start with spoiler[as Morikawa had it take place after Ippo declared if he lost another fight (after his second career loss which I also believe was the next immediate fight after said loss) and after a series of chapters that centered on Ippo hitting the final upgrade for the dempsey roll].

And this was after Morikawa decided after years of buildup Ippo would not get to face his true rival in as professional boxers. Even if Ippo comes Morikawa really dropped the ball considerably over some of his writing decisions and if he passed before he actually finishes Ippo that"ll make things worse.

Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I really wanna see a nice long running remake anime of this when the manga is coming to an end someday. This story could be a really epic, like Ashita no Joe. It would be a shame if only the beginning and some arc bits are available as anime with the majority of people never be able to watch or read the full story.

All 3 animes tell a cohesive story so why they would remake it to be one whole anime is beyond my comprehension.
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I really wanna see a nice long running remake anime of this when the manga is coming to an end someday. This story could be a really epic, like Ashita no Joe. It would be a shame if only the beginning and some arc bits are available as anime with the majority of people never be able to watch or read the full story.

It doesn't need a remake, the anime was good the way it was.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
What the Ippo anime needs isn't a remake but a rescue license as the main series was never picked up again after Pioneer went under years ago and only like a handful of OVAs have ever been made available I believe.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What the Ippo anime needs isn't a remake but a rescue license as the main series was never picked up again after Pioneer went under years ago and only like a handful of OVAs have ever been made available I believe.

The series bombed in the US. There's a reason why it hasn't been rescue licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2