• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Signs Onto Oldboy Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys...what if he...you know...retains the integrity of the I.P.?
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
Seriously???

Hollywood needs to leave Foreign entities alone. The manga is great, the korean film was excellent and there is just no need to remake it into an American version. Stupid, real stupid.

uh, did you forget Asia has been also remaking American film also. Are you going to complain about that too? I believe I mention this on a previous article.

Geez, I heard of people bashing on American remake of Asian film, but never the opposite when Asia remake American film. I have seen people that bash American remake of Asian film praising Asian remake of American film and attacking the American original calling them crap and say the Asian remake is so much better, that shows Asian supremacy is way out of control. I wonder what would happen if Japan/Korea remade Twilight or China remake Dr. Zhivago? I bet nobody complain and openly bash the original movie and saying "Asian are better and F(bleep) you, America" .

Quote:
I would love to see a Japanese film maker remake a classic American movie just to see how some of you would react.

They already did:

Sideways
Ghost
Paranormal Activity (well it's more of a semi-sequel, semi-remake)

Japan will remake 2 more American films:

An Affair to Remember

Working Girls

I'm still waiting for my Japanese remake of the Godfather (Sonny Chiba would fit in as Vito Corleone). Of all the Japanese remake, not one even complain about it. The same thing happen when China/HK remade Cellular into Connected. Also nobody complain about Zhang Yimou doing a loose remake of Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story, and I never heard any problem about China's remake of High School Musical. I bet nobody will complain when South Korea will remake Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I agree with you, mdo7. I mean, purists need to accept that it is the Japanese publishers' decision to let U.S. filmakers do movies based on their manga properties in the same way we accept that it's Marvel Comics' decision to let Madhouse do its "Marvel Anime" multiseries. It's not like Spike Lee bought all the intellectual rights to "Oldboy" and decided tor reboot it; it's just a separate "Oldboy" continuity meant to appeal to the tastes of mainstream U.S. audiences.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Hey guys...what if he...you know...retains the integrity of the I.P.?

mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
Seriously???

Hollywood needs to leave Foreign entities alone. The manga is great, the korean film was excellent and there is just no need to remake it into an American version. Stupid, real stupid.

uh, did you forget Asia has been also remaking American film also. Are you going to complain about that too? I believe I mention this on a previous article.

Geez, I heard of people bashing on American remake of Asian film, but never the opposite when Asia remake American film. I have seen people that bash American remake of Asian film praising Asian remake of American film and attacking the American original calling them crap and say the Asian remake is so much better, that shows Asian supremacy is way out of control. I wonder what would happen if Japan/Korea remade Twilight or China remake Dr. Zhivago? I bet nobody complain and openly bash the original movie and saying "Asian are better and F(bleep) you, America" .

Quote:
I would love to see a Japanese film maker remake a classic American movie just to see how some of you would react.

They already did:

Sideways
Ghost
Paranormal Activity (well it's more of a semi-sequel, semi-remake)

Japan will remake 2 more American films:

An Affair to Remember

Working Girls

I'm still waiting for my Japanese remake of the Godfather (Sonny Chiba would fit in as Vito Corleone). Of all the Japanese remake, not one even complain about it. The same thing happen when China/HK remade Cellular into Connected. Also nobody complain about Zhang Yimou doing a loose remake of Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story, and I never heard any problem about China's remake of High School Musical. I bet nobody will complain when South Korea will remake Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I agree with you, mdo7. I mean, purists need to accept that it is the Japanese publishers' decision to let U.S. filmakers do movies based on their manga properties in the same way we accept that it's Marvel Comics' decision to let Madhouse do its "Marvel Anime" multiseries. It's not like Spike Lee bought all the intellectual rights to "Oldboy" and decided tor reboot it; it's just a separate "Oldboy" continuity meant to appeal to the tastes of mainstream U.S. audiences.

You might want to add Japanese supremacists on to that also. Because I found some double standard (which will always be there) in the anime fandom. These people fail to notice that Japan has heavily edit/altered American cartoon like Beast Wars is one example. I have seen purists/Japanese supremacists hating on American edit of anime/manga but praised how Japan butchered Beast Wars. Japan is no stranger to renaming American cartoon characters same way how we did that like the American cartoon The Herculoids which was known Kaijû Ô Tâgan (Monster King Targan) in Japan.

Zandor became Targan in the Japanese version.
Tarra=Marmi
Dorno=Kane
Zok=Maryu
Igoo=Rikira
Tundro=Tanguro
Gloop and Gleep=Hyuhyu and Bobo

As a matter of fact, this isn't the only American cartoon to have character renamed for the Japanese market. I remember Muttley (from Wacky Racer) was known as Ken-Ken in the Japanese dub. The Hanna-Barbera cartoon was popular in Japan when anime was at it's infancy in the 60's. This never got to anime fans attention about how Japan edit American cartoon, I seem to be the only one in ANN that did major research on American cartoon.

Oh and if you thought about how we edit Japanese game for American release like for example, the first Persona for the PS1 and NES Bionic Commando (removing Hitler and nazi references for the American version). Yeah you have never seen Japan's notorious edit on American game, I didn't know about this until I read this interesting article from Kotaku about one American game from the 80's that got severely altered for the Japanese market, Police Quest 2 is one of those game. Here's a picture to prove it to everybody on ANN:

Police Quest 2: American/Japanese version differences:

Another American game has suffer a similar edit for Japan release, anybody know Maniac Mansion? This game has suffered a lot when Jaleco bring it over to Japan, instead of using the American NES port, Jaleco redid the game from the ground up. Hardcore Gaming 101 has the info.

Hardcore Gaming 101 wrote:
The Famicom version, released a year earlier in Japan and developed by Jaleco themselves, is a substantially worse port. The graphics are, again, totally different, and the characters have been redrawn to look smaller and cuter. All of them, what with their empty eyes and vacant smiles, look like they jumped out of a Cathy comic strip. This is the only version to have a real Game Over screen, which shows the characters as angels and looks particularly ludicrous. The box cover shows them all as super deformed dwarves, although at least there's some cool artwork in the manual. The rooms are even more compact than the NES version, and the ones that are multi-screen don't scroll at all. Various background details are missing (Chuck the Plant is gone entirely, as if the programmers didn't get the joke.) Sandy now wears a full dress instead of a tube top, and Weird Ed looks more like a stereotypical nerd, although it does have the nude statue that was taken out the NES version.

There are other small changes due to the localization - the dime becomes a 100 yen coin, and the Three Guys Who Publish Anything apparently have an address in Tokyo. There's even a Japanese style mailbox in the first screen, which doesn't entirely make sense, because there's a regular mailbox in front of the porch two screens over. Outside of a few original tunes here and there (and an especially aggravating "Pause" ditty), most of the game is played without music, much like the PC versions. The only noises are the annoying footstep noise when your character shuffles from place to place. Unlike the NES version, the characters walk slowly and awkwardly. The hotspots don't give descriptions, but you can see their descriptions holding down the B button and highlighting them. There's no save system, and is instead replaced with 104 character passwords, making them one of the longest of any game on the system.

These pictures of Maniac Mansion version differences for both NES/Famicom show that Japan is no different from US.

NES version

Famicom version

NES version

I like to say to the purists that I'm very dissapointed that you're not bashing/attacking Japanese edit on American stuff. I seen purists praising Japan for editing American game/movie/other stuff. You're a disgrace to the anime community for pulling this hypocrisy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
And you know Lee will find some way to slant some racism angle into the film. Maybe how the spoiler[rape of the daughter of the imprisoned guy by him] is some symbolism of the plight of the black man in today's society.

Yep, like those racial screeds, Son of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man.

...he makes great films about race relations, but he also makes good to great crime dramas. I wouldn't be surprised if he casts a black actor in the lead, hey Speilberg wanted Will Smith in the roll, but I doubt he'd tack on racial meaning.

Thank you.

Seriously, some of the reactions to this news are outright offensive. You'd think Tyler Perry was directing it or something. Can we at least wait for some kind of media before we start freaking out?
SassyRobot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
I think adapting the manga (like Dreamworks was planning) rather than simply remaking the Korean movie might offer a more interesting and unique retelling and vision of the story. There is no telling how the filmmakers will choose to remake the film, however, so who knows how it will turn out.

Remakes from any side are annoying and often pointless when they don't bring anything new to the table.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Thank you.

Seriously, some of the reactions to this news are outright offensive. You'd think Tyler Perry was directing it or something. Can we at least wait for some kind of media before we start freaking out?

The difference with Perry and Lee is that, Perry has no need to butt into the affairs of other people to make a name for himself and makes films that cater to people that doesn't need to step on toes. Lee on the other hand.....

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=5015524
Quote:
After Eastwood told him to "shut his face" and stop criticizing him about not including African-Americans in his 2006 Iwo Jima movies, "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima," Lee's lashing out.

"First of all, the man is not my father and we're not on a plantation either," he told ABCNEWS.com. "He's a great director. He makes his films, I make my films. The thing about it though, I didn't personally attack him. And a comment like 'a guy like that should shut his face' -- come on Clint, come on. He sounds like an angry old man right there."

Lee has a proposal for Eastwood:

"If he wishes, I could assemble African-American men who fought at Iwo Jima and I'd like him to tell these guys that what they did was insignificant and they did not exist," he said. "I'm not making this up. I know history. I'm a student of history. And I know the history of Hollywood and its omission of the one million African-American men and women who contributed to World War II."

So in all fairness, yes, criticism of Lee is justified due to his past actions. We can't predict the future, but we can learn from the past and make possible assumptions about the future and see if they do come true. And given that Lee is abit....."outspoken" in his views.....there has to be some questions about his integrity.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence:
Quote:
So in all fairness, yes, criticism of Lee is justified due to his past actions.

What past actions? Making Clint tell the truth?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Even the worst and least successful American movies will eventually get released at least on DVD in Europe unlike most Asian remakes. Simple noodle story had a theatrical run in Finland probably only because it was directed by Zhang Yimou. Most people in Western countries have probably never heard about the Japanese Sideways.

mdo7 wrote:

These people fail to notice that Japan has heavily edit/altered American cartoon like Beast Wars is one example. I have seen purists/Japanese supremacists hating on American edit of anime/manga but praised how Japan butchered Beast Wars. Japan is no stranger to renaming American cartoon characters same way how we did that like the American cartoon The Herculoids which was known Kaijû Ô Tâgan (Monster King Targan) in Japan.

I'm not really a hypocrite if I don't want to watch (or more accurately hear) Robotech or Shogun Assassin just because the Japanese edit some American stuff too. How stupid the Japanese edits might be, they usually aren't forced as the only version to see in other countries, as was the with Robotech and Shogun Assassin in the 80s.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

So in all fairness, yes, criticism of Lee is justified due to his past actions. We can't predict the future, but we can learn from the past and make possible assumptions about the future and see if they do come true. And given that Lee is abit....."outspoken" in his views.....there has to be some questions about his integrity.

Oh no! An artist and activist who is outspoken in his views! And they don't conform with my own opinions about society! OH NO!

Spike Lee will never not be a lightning rod for controversy and that's how he likes it. He's made a lot of really great films, most notably the following:

She's Gotta Have It
Do The Right Thing (if you haven't seen this film and you feel yourself qualified to comment on Spike Lee as a director, please understand that you don't know what you're talking about)
Malcolm X
4 Little Girls
Bamboozled

Previously mentioned:

25th Hour
Inside Man (similarly, if you haven't seen this film and feel yourself qualified to comment on Spike Lee as a director who can speak to a mainstream audience, please understand that you don't know what you're talking about)

Not to mention the following documentaries:

When the Levees Broke
If God is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise (both very powerful documentary miniseries about Katrina)

While I really do enjoy and appreciate the original Oldboy, I can't wait to see Spike Lee's interpretation of it. That's at the very least going to be something special and interesting and maybe something none of us have seen before. Which is cool.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not really a hypocrite if I don't want to watch (or more accurately hear) Robotech or Shogun Assassin just because the Japanese edit some American stuff too. How stupid the Japanese edits might be, they usually aren't forced as the only version to see in other countries, as was the with Robotech and Shogun Assassin in the 80s.

Give me a break. There were plenty of reasons as to why Robotech was forced on the American market in the way it was (most notably the length of television seasons). Getting a Macross release a million years later from ADV was really the only way they could reasonably do it. Really bad example.

The thing that a lot of purists tend to assume that what they consider to be of acceptable quality (e.g. the Japanese adaptations of Ghost or Sideways) really wouldn't cut it with many people. I generally find most Japanese (to some degree Asian dramas in general) dramas to have overly quirky/poor acting. Sure it's a generalization, but to be honest, I welcome an American adaptation of Oldboy. I've got no real interest in the Korean movie; I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure it's a generalization, but to be honest, I welcome an American adaptation of Oldboy. I've got no real interest in the Korean movie; I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Yeah I know the type of people that consider watching a foreign works to be an injustice to their right to be entertained in their native tongue and tailored to fit the local mores.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Give me a break. There were plenty of reasons as to why Robotech was forced on the American market in the way it was (most notably the length of television seasons). Getting a Macross release a million years later from ADV was really the only way they could reasonably do it. Really bad example.

My point, which you somehow managed to miss, was that the Japanese usually keep their edits and remakes to themselves, instead distributing them to other countries with heavy marketing. How could anyone complain about the Japanese Sideways if it has small foreign release at best and the original is easily available? In comparison Harmony Gold promotes Robotech over Macross and it doesn't even credit any of the creators or animators.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Sure it's a generalization, but to be honest, I welcome an American adaptation of Oldboy. I've got no real interest in the Korean movie; I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Yeah I know the type of people that consider watching a foreign works to be an injustice to their right to be entertained in their native tongue and tailored to fit the local mores.

"Right," is a word that nobody who sees promise in this has used, neither is, "entitlement," a word, or derivations thereof, that you similarly invoked against those who would have liked an English dub of Puella Magi Madoka Magica even though none of them had used it. This is with good reason as the terms hardly make any honest sense when we're discussing what people might freely choose to watch or not watch. Unless I'm unaware of something, there's no force using the implicit threat of violence to dictate how foreign entertainment is introduced into the American domestic market. As for why some people might want an adaptation, well, it is entertainment, after all, not some sort of idol of aesthetic virtue to be offered obeisances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
teferi wrote:

My point, which you somehow managed to miss, was that the Japanese usually keep their edits and remakes to themselves, instead distributing them to other countries with heavy marketing. How could anyone complain about the Japanese Sideways if it has small foreign release at best and the original is easily available? In comparison Harmony Gold promotes Robotech over Macross and it doesn't even credit any of the creators or animators.

What are you talking about? My point of the message is that there are hypocrisy in the anime community if you didn't notice this. How is Asia remaking an American film any different from America remaking American film? Also, these purists attack on America's edit on anime, but yet never criticize Japan for editing on American's cartoon and video game when they went to Japan. What does Japanese remake of American film not going to Europe or your country have to do with what I said? There are bunch of Japanese films that never got an American release, do I care, no. Why does it matter to you? Also if a cartoon was made from your country and it got severely edited and altered when it goes to Japan, wouldn't you complain too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4